• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 IRS Swap???

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
I know I'm going to make a noob of myself, considering this is my first post on this board...

Is the rear suspension of a 240 on a removable subframe? Has anyone considered swapping in 760/940 IRS?

Are there any 240 IRS swaps out there?

Look for threads by Anthony Hyde, IIRC. That was the most recent and best 240 IRS swap I recall.

No, the 240 rear suspension isn't on a subframe and it would be quite a task to even attempt to put the 700/900 setup in there.

I know of a few people who have contemplated a T-bird 8.8 IRS swap. . .

Dunno if anyone's actually done it though.

Hmm...that'd be interesting. My first instinct has been to start with the 760 irs. How did the IRS rear end mount in either the 760 or 940?

760 to 940 iirc are identical. There's a Gen I and II IRS, the later being more desirable, again, iirc. . .

If you were swapping into a 240, you'd be looking at fully custom mounting, and probably a modified/custom driveshaft. . .

If I were to do it, I'd go with something stronger and with more aftermarket support (ford 8.8?) but I'm not doing it, nor will I ever.

760 to 940 iirc are identical. There's a Gen I and II IRS, the later being more desirable, again, iirc. . .

If you were swapping into a 240, you'd be looking at fully custom mounting, and probably a modified/custom driveshaft. . .

If I were to do it, I'd go with something stronger and with more aftermarket support (ford 8.8?) but I'm not doing it, nor will I ever.

I'm considering a Getrag differential from a Caddy CTS-V and I'd use the 760 control arms, hubs, sway bars and shocks

I know POIK is working on retrofitting a BMW (5 series I think) IRS onto his 242. You should PM him.

Anything is possible. All it takes is time and money. But since time IS money.....

SaturnV.jpg

Look for threads by Anthony Hyde, IIRC. That was the most recent and best 240 IRS swap I recall.

No, the 240 rear suspension isn't on a subframe and it would be quite a task to even attempt to put the 700/900 setup in there.

Wrong Anthony, I'm afraid.
That certainly isnt Anthony Hyde's car.

I'm considering a Getrag differential from a Caddy CTS-V and I'd use the 760 control arms, hubs, sway bars and shocks

Dude, why bother? Use a supra or Cressida subframe assembly and fit that all in, or a RWD Skyline one, the Volvo one is horrible for choice of upgrading, can't do any adjustment on them stock compared to the jap setups.

Back