• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Drove bosses 242 turbo Group A. What a Blast!!!

It's my understanding that Volvo didn't want a works car. Volvo corporate's emphasis was on safety, not performance. Racing, they thought, would undermine this.

A bit off topic, but this subject has been a thorn in my side for many years. I'm a performance oriented person, so I do have a bias, but I think the FIRST rule in car making is to sell cars, period. Not to make a stand on "safety" at the expense of performance. I think Volvo has destroyed themselves over the years by doing this.

I recall when Volvo announced in 1981 they had built (or maybe imported to the US) one million 240s. At the time BMW, Mercedes, Audi and others were far behind on import numbers. Volvo was obviously doing really well. A little competition can go a long way, but as it has been shown, Volvo's top execs would slam their fists and repeat how they were a safe car and that racing was too irresponsible and reckless for a safe car.

As we look at Volvo now there have been more than one occasion where this company almost ceased to exist (ala: Saab). I can't help but think their dogmatic approach to safety>performance has contributed. Their competitors who kept up on racing programs seem to be doing so much better and for sure BMW's image was not hurt because they went racing.

Certainly Volvo had led in many safety innovations, but for years now they have just been one of many car makers with high safety ratings. Ho-hum.

I can recall when the S60/V70R was introduced in 2003 and I attended some events that showcased them. The PR execs involved in that program were very specific about how these cars were "performance oriented" and more such cars would be expected from Volvo in the future. But of course the R program was dropped and suddenly we had R-Design cars. Lee Cordner was granted an interview with the VCNA CEO and asked about the future of performance cars and what R-Design was going to mean. He was told that the concept of "performance" was not in Volvo's future and that the "R" in R-Design (and the old R cars) meant (and always did mean) "refined" and nothing else. Incredible!
Dave B.

Anyone else have :twocents:

Here are the regular '81, 8two and '83 models:
A5020-82_240Turbo29.jpg

A5020-82_240Turbo30.jpg

Here is the EVOLUTION '83 model. Note the "ET" box (Normal evolution of the type) is checked.

A5020-82_240Turbo34.jpg

A5020-82_240Turbo35.jpg

Last edited:
Appendix "J" - Definitions

which the series-production of the said model has been stopped (series- production under 10 O/O of the minimum production of the group considered). The Homologation of a modei can oniy be valid in one group, Production
Carsflouring Cars, or Sports Cars. If a model already homologated in Group Sports Cars (Gr. B) passes into Group Production Cars (Gr. N)ITouring Cars. (Gr. A), the first homologation is cancelled.
2.1.7) HornoBogatiow forms:
All cars recognised by the FIAIFISA shall be the subject of descriptive form called homologation form on which shall be entered all data enabling identification of the said model.
This homologation form defines the series as indicated by the manufactu- rer. According to the group in which the competitors race, the modification limits allowed in international competition for the series are stated in Appe- dix J.
The presentation of the forms at scrutineering andlor at the start may be required by the organisers who will be entitled to refuse the participation of the entrant in the event in case of non-presentation.
With regard to Group Production Cars (Gr. N), apart from the specific form for this group, the Group Touring Cars (Gr. A) form must also be submitted (or the FlSA transfer to Group A).
In case of any doubt remaining after the checking of a model of car against its homologation form, the scrutineers should refer either to the maintenance booklet published for the use of the make's distributors or to the general catalogue in which are listed all spare parts.
In case of lack of enough accurate documentation, scrutineers may carry out direct scrutineering by comparaison with an identicai part available from a concessionnaire. It wiil be up to the competitor to obtain the homologation concerning his car from the ASN of the manufacturing country of the vehi- cule, or from the FIAIFISA.
Description. A form breaks down in the following way:
1) A basic form giving a description of the basic rnodel.
2) At a later stage, a certain number of additional sheets describing
"homologation extensions", which can be "variants", or "errata" or "evolu- tion~".
a) Marlants (VF, VO)
These are either supply variants (VF) (two suppliers providing the same part for the manufacturer and the client does not have the possibility of choice), or options (VO) (supplied on request and available at the concession- naires).
b) Erratum(ER)
Replaces and cancels an incorrect piece of information previously sup- plied by the constructor on a form.
c) Evolution(ET-ES)
Characterises modifications made on a permanent basis to the basic rnodel (complete cessation ot the production of the car in its ori inal form in
i!S) intended The competitor may use any variant as he wishes, only on condition that
the case of the evolution of the type ET), or sporting evolution ( to render a model more competitive.

Use
I} Variants (VF, VO)

Art 252: Definitions

l ) Variants
The competitor may use any variant or any part of a variant as he wishes, only on condition that all the technical data of the vehicle, so designed, conforms to that described on the homologation form applicable to the car, or expressly allowed by Appendix J.
For example, the fitting of a piston as defined on a variant form is only possible if the compression ratio, the volume of the combustion chamber, etc, thus obtained are shown on a form applicable to the car in question.
It must, however, be noted that certain variants carry the stamp 'valid in Group 2 only', or 'valid in Group 4 only'. T,hey may only race in these Groups.
2) Evolution
The car must comply with a given stage of evolution (independent of the date when it ieft the factory), and thus an evolution must be wholly applicable or not at all.
Besides, from the moment a competitor has chosen a particular evolution, all the previous evolutions should be applied, except where they are incompat- ible: for example, if two rim evolutions happen one after another, only that corresponding to the date of the stage of evolution of the car wjll be used.
This homologation form defines the series as indicated by the manufacturer. According to the group in which the competitors race, the modification limits allowed in international competition for this series are stated in Appendix J.

h) Cylinder-capacity classes: 45 classes have been retained:
1. Cylinder-capacity inferior or equal to 500 cc
2. Cylinder-capacity exceeding 500 cc and i ~ f e r i o or r equal to 600 cc
3. l! 1v II
4. ,,, I, Il
600cc ,, Il ,l l, I, 7ooCC
5. ,,
6. ,,
7. I,
8. l? 9. l?
700cc ,, IT
l,
l! l! 85oCC
10. 11 71 II
11. I, lI Il
12. I, ,l ll
13. ,, ,, !I
14. I, 1l II
15. ,, l, over
2,500 C C 3,000 C C 4,000 cc 5,000 cc 6,000 cc
I, , I ,,
,I I ? . ,,
l ? 2,000 C C 21500cc
,, ~1~~~~~
4,000 cc
,l 7I Il Il ,l Il It ll It ll
l, I,
l, ,I
,I
,, ,I 11600cc
850 cc ,, ,,
1,008cc ,, ,I ,, 1,150~~ lI ,, 1,300~~ , ,,
1 , 6 0 0 ~ ~, , l l , , l ,
2,000cc 7I I,
Regulations intended for specific events may provide one or several sub- divisions of class 15. There shall be no subdivision of the other classes.
Unless otherwise specified in special provisions set up by the FIA for a cer- tain category of events, the organisers are not bound to include all the above- mentioned classes in the supplementary regulations and, furthermore, they are free to group two or more consecutive classes, according to the particular circumstances of their events.
h/a) Supercharging: Increasing the weight of the charge of the fuel-air mix- ture in the combustion chamber (over the weight induced by normal atmos- pheric pressure, ram effect and dynamic effects in the intake and/or exhaust systems) by any means whatsoever.
The injection of fuel under pressure is not considered to be supercharging. (See Article 255 I.)
1.oooCC 11150cc 1,300 cc
ll ,, ,, 51000CC ,, l, ,, ,, I,Gm0Cc

Sorry but you are wrong. Yes it is a street car but was made a certain way to be homologated to race. We had cars in Australia that were VK Group A (1985), VL Group A (1987) and VN Group A (1990) These were Holden commodores that the manufacture and Brock had to make 500 road going examples so they could be homologated to go racing in Australia and in Europe. Im not saying its a race car but that's what they called it and that's what they called a lot of cars that had to be homologated. Certain things like displacement, maybe body kit or exhaust etc would have to be on the 500 road going versions so they came under Group A rules to race

Ever heard of marketing?
Let me try this

Audi sport quattro
AZ15_r192_001-700x419.jpg

2006FOS_1985AudiQuattroS1PikesPeak.jpg

'Internet wisdom' at it's finest.

The infamous 'Homologated 240 flathood group A' is simply someone getting carried away in front of a keyboard and some eager, yet uninformed, followers, latched onto it and ran with it.

Regardless of all that, The car posted by the OP is very nice.

'Internet wisdom' at it's finest.

The infamous 'Homologated 240 flathood group A' is simply someone getting carried away in front of a keyboard and some eager, yet uninformed, followers, latched onto it and ran with it.

Regardless of all that, The car posted by the OP is very nice.

Prove it :e-shrug:

You're exactly what you describe if you can't.

c) Evolution(ET-ES)
Characterises modifications made on a permanent basis to the basic model (complete cessation of the production of the car in its original form in ET-ES) intended The competitor may use any variant as he wishes, only on condition that the case of the evolution of the type ET), or sporting evolution to render a model more competitive.

A5020-82_240Turbo34_zpsmmmcunnz.jpg

2) Evolution
The car must comply with a given stage of evolution (independent of the date when it ieft the factory), and thus an evolution must be wholly applicable or not at all.
Besides, from the moment a competitor has chosen a particular evolution, all the previous evolutions should be applied, except where they are incompatible: for example, if two rim evolutions happen one after another, only that corresponding to the date of the stage of evolution of the car will be used.
This homologation form defines the series as indicated by the manufacturer. According to the group in which the competitors race, the modification limits allowed in international competition for this series are stated in Appendix J.

A5020-82_240Turbo35_zpsxkekager.jpg

2013-02-22_14-22-34_862_zpsjuvidebn.jpg

What am I missing? :e-shrug:

Please can someone else do some actual god dam legwork!?
I have to go to work now :doh:

This person spent a hell of a lot of money and time on his car show entry.
The '83 intercooler was shipped overseas from Texas.
I guess it's just all internet folly and folklore though.
Too bad none of us experts are in Sweden to warn him that he should take that license plate off before someone in the know sees it. :roll:

172434-e0b1675e695a5ecaa072cf8d28659359.jpg

Ive owned several 83 and 84 240 turbos. Even a so called "one of 500". There is nothing different but the hood and grill.

Thank you, we've established that.
Its Evo status is what's up for debate.

Any input on how many were built and why?

Volvo for life :e-shrug:
Only commercial I've ever seen showing a 30 year old rusted and dented Edit: antique doing a smokeshow.
I guess the guard is changing?
Nothing safety related here :e-shrug:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wA9VOlTfBNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
That's actually cut from a video for a song by Kaah...title is Innan du gar:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Lkq3lmNkic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Volvo for life :e-shrug:
Only commercial I've ever seen showing a 30 year old rusted and dented ancestor doing a smokeshow.
I guess the guard is changing?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wA9VOlTfBNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Volvo for yo kids"?

Now we need a "Polestar fo yo race" TV ad.

Edit: And here it is:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Tgo77A1lZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DLPr7M1_hHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I guess it's ok to go racing now.

Last edited:
I PM'd Stefan(?), with that race car and evo500 showroom car, asking him to comment on here hoping has some swedish secrets about the 242 homo thing ;)

Last edited:
Here are some really old photos i have of an actual 'EVO' from Sweden. Aftermarket wheels but otherwise as it was from the FIA inspection line.
AsT0fuw.jpg

0emC6tg.jpg

e2Hc45f.jpg

GbKWJVI.jpg

... right off the bat you can see the turn signals, grille, headlights.. kjet box, intercooler, valve cover... all different than the american flathood.

That?s my car :)
Photos are taken by pre owner. The engine is not original it is a B23E from 1979 with old valve cover and 405 head and 8360220 Group-A camshaft. Pistons are forged Mahle with large dome. Turbo charger is a genuine Group-A and the Group-A intercooler was added later and it was made 1986 says the type plate from L?ngerer & Reich. Intake is a b23f/ft/et with four yellow injectors same used on the race car.

This Evo 500 stayed in Sweden and was owned by Volvo Motorsport VMS and was used as a test car. 1987 SAM Steffansson Automotive bought it.

This is how it looks today now with B21ET, Big Group-A K-jetronic, Getrag 265, BBS E50 and more: http://www.garaget.org/242Evo

/Daniel

Last edited:
Back