• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 Countershaft going clank-clank...How much longer?

How long will it last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

towerymt

the real Towery
It's had an input shaft whine for a while, probably for the past 10k miles. In neutral, clutch out = whirring noise. Clutch in, noise goes away.

Late last week a sort of clicking noise started, only on lift-off throttle in gear. Continuous noise until I clutch-in. It almost sounded like a clutch fan blade hitting the shroud when the motor mounts are bad. Not so lucky.

Noise got slightly worse, but I was avoiding coasting in gear. Yesterday, it started making noise on-throttle in gear. Now it's noisy driving in 1st - 3rd, on throttle or off.

Fluid came out looking quite metallic but no chunks. It's surely a bearing dying. Put some fresh ATF in it, I had it on hand.

Just crossed 249,000 miles 3 days ago and probably won't see 250k (indicated) with this trans. I still need a T5 and driveshaft and clutch to do the swap, have everything else. I think a mikeP loaner M47 is going in there next. :e-shrug:

Autopsy results coming soon :lol:

When the marbles sound started in mine. I got about 25k out of it. The marbles were progressive. Started in third and by the time I changed the trans the sound was in 3rd, 5th, and 2nd. It also randomly came out of 5th or when you went to shift into 5th it would miss and you'd have to try again from neutral.

Should make it to warmer weather.

This sounds terminal. Like a bearing is GONE and the countershaft is bang-bang-banging with every rotation.

1st-2nd-4th at 30mph. :lol: Get into 4th as early as possible and hope it holds up.

It makes noise people walking on the street can hear. If you heard me driving by, you'd look over and wonder, WTF is wrong with that thing?

If it's still working next week, I'm driving ~120 miles out to Mike's.

Zed's dead. It was already sounding bad, and I babied it all I could. Half a block from home tonight, it got even worse. The thump was so loud/strong, it almost sounded like the trans hitting the tunnel. I probably wont drive it again, fearing parts could leave the trans case and I wouldnt get it back in the garage. Will try posting a vid of the noises just at idle.

shes a done.

I hear if you buy from erie they give lifetime warranty on all used parts.

they dont show any used m47s though.

I know my neighbor might have some for sale if you need.

I started piecing together a T5 swap a while back and never finished getting the big stuff.

I'm picking up a T5 tonight.
Ordered clutch parts...Saab 228mm pressure plate, p/n 8722589 (cross references with SC437) and Exedy p/n FMD002U for an SVO.

It's a DD running ~12psi, so stock-like 9"/228mm clutch will suit me just fine. I already have a flat flywheel milled for the 60-2 LH2.4 pattern. From searching TB today, it sounds like this pressure plate should bolt up, but requires drilling some holes for dowel pins.

Have:
T5
adapter plate
bell housing (modified)
driveshaft adapter (not using it)
resurfaced flat 60-2 flywheel
pressure plate
clutch disc
modified 2pc M47 driveshaft robbed off my autocross (parts) car
shifter

Need:
Ford Racing steel front bearing retainer
release bearing (McLeod or similar)
pilot bearing
M46 clutch fork & bushings
Type F ATF
trans mount solution....last time I used a 164 motor mount and some scrap metal plate.

Need:
Ford Racing steel front bearing retainer
release bearing (McLeod or similar) -> The YoshiFab one has a smaller diameter face and makes the clutch significantly lighter. It's not $0.99 though...
pilot bearing-> 6003-2RS Bearing, exact fit ball bearing.
M46 clutch fork & bushings
Type F ATF -> Gm/Pennzoil/Valvoline Synchromesh fluid works best if the trans has miles. If it's tight, Redline D4 or D6 ATF works best if you're beating on it.
trans mount solution....last time I used a 164 motor mount and some scrap metal plate.

My thoughts after doing a few of these swaps and drifting and rally racing with the T5s.

My thoughts after doing a few of these swaps and drifting and rally racing with the T5s.

Thanks. Do you know if this is the yoshifab supplied throwout bearing? Came with the adapter I bought off someone a while back....turns out I had this and didn't know it. :lol:

It's got a little piece welded on it, which isn't shown in the yoshifab image, so I wasn't sure if it was the same.

170333431.jpg

I used the McLeod bearing in a couple of swaps before and it worked out well. I'd probably order one from Josh if I needed it though.

Thanks. Do you know if this is the yoshifab supplied throwout bearing? Came with the adapter I bought off someone a while back....turns out I had this and didn't know it. :lol:

It's got a little piece welded on it, which isn't shown in the yoshifab image, so I wasn't sure if it was the same.

Looks like the YoshiFab one.

This is the back side of the input shaft. This gear got me home and backed into the garage one last time.

170408639.jpg

T5 swap has taken forever, piecing stuff together, building scraps into useful things like a block-off plate for the speedo cable, and a 1/2"-MIP plastic bushing from Home Depot shaped into a shifter bushing since the Ford dealer didn't have one in stock and I didn't know I was missing it til I un-taped the covered over shifter hole to install the trans on Saturday. :roll:

I'm officially M47-less across all 240s I own for the first time since...forever? Feels good.

Glad you are M47 less. I hope to join the club with one in my turbo sometime. The way that gear looks you can't say they aren't tough. But it will be so much nicer having a trans that can hold a bit more power.

Back