• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Head or Water Pump, which to install first?

stayathomedad

Alright guys, I've read that its important to install the head first then the water pump.

Is this true? I can see how the head might not seat correctly with the water pump O-ring pushing up against the head prior to install, however does this make much of a difference when the head is torqued down against that O-ring?

If the head does need to be installed first, how do you know how hard the water pump needs to be pushed up against the head for proper O-ring seal to take place?

Install the head first, just push the waterpump tight to the head while tightening. A little RTV never hurt if you are concerned, but it is not needed.

Put the bolts in the slotted holes first, leave about a half turn loose. Then install the bolts in the smaller holes. It will require pushing/prying up, be careful not to cross thread them.

I don't see how this would really be possible, but could damage actually occur to the head if it were put on after the water pump? I'm assuming the only bad thing that could occur is the head wouldn't be able to properly seat against the block because the front of it would be slightly lifted because of the O-ring?

I've done it both ways and it doesn't really matter as long as the positioning of the WP was correct beforehand and you replaced the mushroom seal.

Leaky waterpump is better than leaky head gasket, just put the head on first. It is the correct way. This isn't something to overthink or worry about too much.

I'm actually going to be switching to a 531 head soon and need to replace the mushroom seal, would I be alright just putting in the new seal since the water pump isn't being moved?

You might be surprised, and it doesn't take much difference to cause a leak. And if it is an aftermarket seal, it has a pretty limited lifespan. Why not loosen the waterpump? It isn't hard, and the seals/gaskets aren't expensive if you need them.

Would loosening the water pump affect the surface seal against the block? I just want to be 100% prepared so I can do the swap all in one go.

Then get a new waterpump gasket and both seals, remove the waterpump, clean the sealing surface, install head, install waterpump. Plan on that and do it, you will be good.

Would loosening the water pump affect the surface gasket against the block? I just want to be 100% prepared so I can do the swap all in one go.

Back