• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Yeah, the stwomboig carbs do that even on the 1969-70 B20B engines and on the 1969-72 B30A engines. They also like to idle high. Most ohv guys either went SU HS6 or HIF6 on their B20's, if they were smart. If not, they'd wind up putting Weber DGV kits on instead. Not really sure why Volvo went back to the 1969-70 carb setup in 1982.

I'd seriously consider just converting to LH 2.2. Unlike K-Jet, you don't need to modify the head, except to add the coolant temperature sensor for the FI. Suspect a weekend of work would net you a decently running B21F-LH engine with a fairly common air mass meter, instead of what originally came with that engine.

-J

I will eventually convert to something, but I doubt it will be factory fuel injection, heh ;). I'm one of those tuning-obsessed freaks that tend to ruin perfectly good cars by turning them into long-term, immobile projects. I'm really trying to change, because I looooooooooooove driving this slow yellow brick. I'll be picking up a wideband in a little bit, so I can see exactly what my fueling curve looks like, and I'll go from there. I'd prefer to keep it carbed, but right now I'm getting absolutely dismal fuel economy. I think I'll be lucky to hit 14L/100km with the engine the way it is now...and it's depressing, lol.

I'm pretty sure the 3-speed auto and overworked single carb are a bad combo, so if I can find a cheap AW70 (or ideally, a 71L for the lockup and eventual boost), I'm going to convert. I'd LOVE to go to a GM box, but there's no info on using the 4L60E with any of the adapter plate setups, and I'm not interested in the path less travelled right now. I need a break, haha.

Installed an Accuspark points replacement module today. A MUCH cheaper option than a Pertronix one. I paid $52 CAN shipped from the UK, and it arrived in a week! The quality seemed acceptable, and the car fired up straight away, so I'll tuck some points in the glovebox and call it a day. I also bypassed the ballast resistor and installed a 3.6 Ohm ignition coil (Bosch Blue), since I had it kicking around.

Next up...a wideband to see exactly what the carb is doing.

I will eventually convert to something, but I doubt it will be factory fuel injection, heh ;). I'm one of those tuning-obsessed freaks that tend to ruin perfectly good cars by turning them into long-term, immobile projects. I'm really trying to change, because I looooooooooooove driving this slow yellow brick. I'll be picking up a wideband in a little bit, so I can see exactly what my fueling curve looks like, and I'll go from there. I'd prefer to keep it carbed, but right now I'm getting absolutely dismal fuel economy. I think I'll be lucky to hit 14L/100km with the engine the way it is now...and it's depressing, lol.

I'm pretty sure the 3-speed auto and overworked single carb are a bad combo, so if I can find a cheap AW70 (or ideally, a 71L for the lockup and eventual boost), I'm going to convert. I'd LOVE to go to a GM box, but there's no info on using the 4L60E with any of the adapter plate setups, and I'm not interested in the path less travelled right now. I need a break, haha.

LOL, most of us have either been that way in the past, or are that way currently. At this time, my blue 245 is still with its engine and transmission sitting about 2 feet away from the driver's side of the car. So, it might be a good idea to just do the LH 2.2 conversion, partly because it's quick and fairly simple, and partly because you can then stock one set of fuel system parts for both of your 240's. I'm at a slight disadvantage, in that I have two cars that are identical, and one that's different, but at least I don't have three different fuel system setups on the 240's here.

Cool. Yeah, you'll like having an extra gear. You'll need to reuse the kickdown cable from your Bw55 in the Aw70, or order one, since the one used on the Aw70 will likely be for the LH manifold.

-J

Safetied, registered, and out terrorizing the Russell-Embrun area...albeit very slowly, with a slight misfire :). I'm a happy guy, it's been years since I've had a toy car that was actually driveable. I don't care if it's slow, I love it.

hRHNxoDN.jpg

I have an Accuspark points-replacement module on the way, and I have to get a Momo wheel hub, since the stock steering wheel is only slightly smaller than a school bus one. My knees hit it, which is very irritating.

Hey I was right there at that shopping mall the other day! Is that where there is an LCBO and a beer store in Russell?? I was visiting a friend who lives is Russell with my silver 1990 740!

Nice car btw!

LOL, most of us have either been that way in the past, or are that way currently. At this time, my blue 245 is still with its engine and transmission sitting about 2 feet away from the driver's side of the car. So, it might be a good idea to just do the LH 2.2 conversion, partly because it's quick and fairly simple, and partly because you can then stock one set of fuel system parts for both of your 240's. I'm at a slight disadvantage, in that I have two cars that are identical, and one that's different, but at least I don't have three different fuel system setups on the 240's here.

Cool. Yeah, you'll like having an extra gear. You'll need to reuse the kickdown cable from your Bw55 in the Aw70, or order one, since the one used on the Aw70 will likely be for the LH manifold.

-J

Cool, good to know they're interchangeable. I was wondering if the cables were different :).

I may convert to factory fuel injection, since it'll probably be next summer before I settle on a plan of action, haha. Right now, even though it's TERRIBLE on gas, I am just loving driving it :).

Hey I was right there at that shopping mall the other day! Is that where there is an LCBO and a beer store in Russell?? I was visiting a friend who lives is Russell with my silver 1990 740!

Yep, the building in the background is a Beer Store, and the LCBO is just on the other side of the parking lot. I had gone into the grocery store to get some supper, and snapped a pic on my way back to the car. We love to keep our alcohol handy, out here in the sticks, haha :).

Nice car btw!
Thanks man :). I'm totally in love with this yellow thing, lol.

Yep, the building in the background is a Beer Store, and the LCBO is just on the other side of the parking lot. I had gone into the grocery store to get some supper, and snapped a pic on my way back to the car. We love to keep our alcohol handy, out here in the sticks, haha :).

Thanks man :). I'm totally in love with this yellow thing, lol.

I went for the LCBO and a nice bottle of wine since you guys are getting screwed big time with the price of beer over there!!

Here we are getting screwed on wine prices but beer is rather cheap!

Russell looks like a nice little town from what I've seen. I often have to drive to Moose Creek for work since we have a shop there on Allaire road. It's a tire recycling factory where the make rubber mats from recycled rubber tires...

Who says you can't fit pre-86 upholstery on a post-86 seat back :).

8Ti1QObY.jpg

...ok, so it's not perfect. The rear fabric doesn't reach all the way down (short by a few inches), and I had to cut a new hole for the lumbar adjust, but it matches a lot better than the WRX seat. I'm stoked, because the subie seat was as low as I could get it, and it still wasn't comfy. The stock seat all the way down puts my legs a bit closer to the wheel than the wrx did, but with the rear dropped down as far as I can get it, the driving position is far more comfortable. I'm a happy guy :).

Big thanks to Robsvolvos, he solved my lack-of-tach problem. I had to run a wire though, which was kinda weird, but I guess since it is a carbed 84 Canadian car, the full chassis harness is a bit different, maybe. I had absolutely no dangling white/red, black, red, or any other colour behind the cluster. Not a single one. Either way, I'm now able to see how revvy the AW55 is on the highway, because it certainly sounds like a lot, haha. He included the remote clock and trim panel too :).

wl3XB6KB.jpg

Relocated the clock in order to install a wideband AF gauge, mainly for the future...but I now know that the carb is in pretty healthy condition. It idles and cruises right where it's supposed to, but goes a little too lean at WOT. I'm not sure there's much to be done, except change out the needle, but I really don't mind because it's not really a car that hits wide-open too often. Now I know it's just terrible on gas because it cruises at 3200 RPM at 100kph. That tach is a blessing and a curse ;).

I really like having the ability to pop that dash blank back into place to hide the gauge. :)

mVK63FXe.jpg

Today was a good day :).
Grabbed THREE sets of alloys off Kijiji (Canada's Craigslist), and the seller even delivered! He was coming from Toronto to Gatineau for a family gathering, so he threw them in the minivan and brought them along. That saved me a solid 10 hours of driving, two-way :). He also talked me into a three-gauge panel, twist my rubber arm.

Xr8DkM3T.jpg

qoguk9HY.jpg

The dracos have no center caps, that's just a spare from the 940s. Of course the Hydras are my wheel of choice, because I have always loved those on a 240.

Filled up the tank and went for a cruise. It's been a good saturday :).

Went about 80km...used almost a 1/4 tank, lol. My buddy's 1970 Cadillac w/502 V8 gets the same sort of mpg. The AF gauge tells me everything is cool, but it could be a point leaner in cruise conditions. My MS1 kit will be arriving next week, so I'll probably convert to fuel-only EFI and see how that works out.

I REALLY need to address the suspension, but the wife is getting suspicious of my spending...

Maiden voyage to work...flawless victory. Outside of the dismal fuel economy of the three speed auto + single carb, it's an awesome car to drive. It doesn't handle as well as any of my other projects did, it's not lowered, it's slow, and it's a couple shades of faded yellow...but I dig it.

11KvsJVT.jpg

Started assembling an oldschool MS1 v2.2 kit from DIYautotune. I am going to convert to EFI, sorta. It'll keep me busy over the winter.
Just finished the power supply portion of the kit, and everything checked out perfectly. Tomorrow is comms.

VDuHlUSq.jpg

Until I swap to a GM transmission (got the adapters on the way), I'll probably just mount a single injector in the intake of the carb, TBI style, and plug the jet/remove the needle of the carb. I've got a set of 900cc injectors here, so one of those will work fine for now. I have nothing against the carb, I just want a bit more fuel control to try to eek out some more MPGs. Decel fuel cut, etc.

Last edited:
Should work better, even as a TBI setup. Which ignition system are you going to be running? The Accuspark kit, or something more modern?

-J

I'm going to stick with the accuspark for now, since it's working quite well. I haven't had a serious misfire since the solid-state conversion. Once I iron the bugs out of the fuel portion, I'll probably modify the MS1 for hall-sender ignition and switch over to fuel and spark control.

Done. It's built to the exact original specs, so fuel-only and B&G code. I figure I might as well start at the very beginning.

W0XpyDEA.jpg

I may install it before I convert to fuel injection, so I can datalog the engine's behaviour as a carbed car. I loves me some data :).

I had to put the WRX seat back in, but I redid the mounts so it is now a lot lower than stock. With the 15.5" steering wheel, and the stock seat, I had maybe 1/4" clearance between it and my knees. After redoing the WRX mounts, I now have about 1.25"...and it's lower in the back now. The seating position is great, and the seat is way more supportive than the stocker. It doesn't match at all, but a comfy car is more fun to drive :).

Back