• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Andrew's 122 turbo project

What if it's some really bad alternator brushes? I thought it sounded like air, but if it's coming from that area and you're having charging issues...

It's done it with two different alternators now. I just put on a good used one after I thought my original one was bad. Maybe it wasn't after all :e-shrug: That could be a ground issue with my bracket I guess.

I picked one up the other day but it hasn't helped much. It doesn't seem to pick up higher pitched noises very well. Maybe I'll borrow a better one and revisit that.

I think I'm going to put some plugs in it anyway. I put these in about two years ago when I had the engine on the stand. And I want to check compression while I have the header off and can easily access #1.

Another old school trick: Get a 3-4 foot piece of vacuum hose, stick one end in your ear and point the other end at stuff. It can really isolate where the noise is coming from. Tape it to a long screwdriver to poke it into nooks and crannies.

Nah I had half of the day Sunday to mess with it but I took a nap instead. Maybe tomorrow if I don't have to work. Starting to think I should prep a different car to take to the mountains in a month. I got a care package from Ian with everything I need to fix my 142 and I have some coilovers and new wheels that need to go on my Miata. Those projects are much more likely to be completed within a month.

Pulled the plugs and they look...like plugs? Nothing weird really. I'll replace them anyway. Header is currently off to replace a few gaskets.

Biggest find so far is I can fit a .004" feeler in between the intake flange and throttle body. So even if that isn't my noise, it's definitely a vac leak. Thinking of cutting a thicker gasket out instead of trying to machine this thing though.

I'll avoid RTV if I can but, then again, I'm me so there's no guarantees.

Pulled the plugs and they look...like plugs? Nothing weird really. I'll replace them anyway. Header is currently off to replace a few gaskets.

Biggest find so far is I can fit a .004" feeler in between the intake flange and throttle body. So even if that isn't my noise, it's definitely a vac leak. Thinking of cutting a thicker gasket out instead of trying to machine this thing though.

I'll avoid RTV if I can but, then again, I'm me so there's no guarantees.

I wonder if you could throw a NA manifold and down pipe on there and see if the noise is still there.

sounds like a vac leak in the intake manifold/tb, as it changes when you rev it a little. Maybe a small crack between original/custom manifold or around the injector holes in the manifold?

:wiggle: Not sure what fixed it as I replaced the plugs, exhaust gaskets, turbo flange gasket, and cut a thicker .012" TB gasket but the noise is completely gone. My money would be on a warped TB flange. Still an annoying bearing chirp that's probably the old timing belt tensioner that I never replaced.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuDIDVCbxJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think I'm going to be able to use this turbine housing though. Someone welded a v-band flange to it and warped it all to hell and I can't get it to seal no matter what. From the driver's seat, you can see inside it when the car is cranking. I have a .63 T3 housing but I'm not sure it will work with the current wheel, and it will need the wastegate welded shut. It looks the same internally but I don't know anything about wheel stages, trims, etc. More on that later.

exhF2Hv.jpg

vYFjaEW.jpg

I ran a wire to my amp light and my alternator still doesn't seem to be charging and the light isn't working. It's only showing about 11.7v in MS. I remember having some issue with the light way back when the car got converted to an alternator about six years ago. The light would stay on with the engine off and go out when the key was turned on so we just put in a voltmeter and left the light disconnected. I'll have to poke around with the meter to see what's happening there.

Last edited:
Back