• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2013 Volvo XC90 intermittant start

deepfried

Moved on.
60,000 miles on ODO.

Installed a new starter. Same problem. 90 percent of the time it starts no problem. No rhyme or reason as to why it doesn't start when it doens't want.

When it doesn't want to start it won't start regardless of how many times we crank it. Jump starting doesn't seem to help. Wait a while and it'll start but it could be hours before it'll start on its own or it could be a few minutes.

The engine will randomly stop while driving but not very often.

Battery is good, they tested it. It isn't throwing codes, VIDA doesn't recognize any issues. Volvo dealer can't replicate problem. They have had it for 3 days. They say its hard to diagnose issue unless it does it.

Im thinking starter switch? Any clue? WOuldnt' a bad alternator be self evident? The dealer is struggling and this is annoying AF.

Is it not cranking or does it crank and not start? If the latter, then why the frig did you change the starter? Lmfao

No warnings? Something like "start prevented, try again"?

Let me know the outcome. I've only had one bad ECM in 13 years at Volvo.

Jordan

No warnings? Something like "start prevented, try again"?

Let me know the outcome. I've only had one bad ECM in 13 years at Volvo.

Jordan

Yeah no warning at all. Happened out of nowhere. VIDA nothing, no idiots lights, no nothing. Took a while to replicate problem.

This XC90 has sort of been the black hole of problems. Steering wheel angle sensor, AC blower motor, twice, bad window switch, this ECU, etc.

Good mechnically but the electrics are very mehhhh. JUst want to get another 2 years out of it then Tahoe.

Yeah no warning at all. Happened out of nowhere. VIDA nothing, no idiots lights, no nothing. Took a while to replicate problem.

This XC90 has sort of been the black hole of problems. Steering wheel angle sensor, AC blower motor, twice, bad window switch, this ECU, etc.

Good mechnically but the electrics are very mehhhh. JUst want to get another 2 years out of it then Tahoe.

Steering angle sensor is common. One and done fix.

AC blower motor? You mean the blower fan in the car? They're common for noise (but mainly in the cold). I can talk you how to change it, but you probably have lifetime on that now.

Window switch is not common unless something was poured on it.

They tried a new starter motor relay first right?

Steering angle sensor is common. One and done fix.

AC blower motor? You mean the blower fan in the car? They're common for noise (but mainly in the cold). I can talk you how to change it, but you probably have lifetime on that now.

Window switch is not common unless something was poured on it.

They tried a new starter motor relay first right?

I don't know for sure they tried the relay. I know they spent a long time looking it over.

If its the ECU I am fine with it. The car is in excellent condition and wife wants a new Tahoe but I am waiting for the new one with IRS (more legroom in back).

139530-cars-review-hands-on-alfa-romeo-stelvio-preview-image1-2rs15dvly8.jpg

DirtyHoe WUT!

His TB link shortcut probably opens directly in OT...

Maybe he doesn't that there are actually other topics on the Forum?

DF have a look at these:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

And this is for members who actually do work on their cars. You probably never been or posted there but whatever:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Most of you don’t work on modern cars with VIDA especially on a daily driver your wife relies on to transport kids.

To each their own. We don’t have to like the same things.

Mods can move it. You are right

Should have posted on Swede speed. They actually buy new cars.

Just curious if the ignition switch is flaky with these as they have the turn and release starting feature. I've seen the engine not catch and you have to hold the key turned

Just curious if the ignition switch is flaky with these as they have the turn and release starting feature. I've seen the engine not catch and you have to hold the key turned

I was actually wondering the same thing. Apparently that is a common failure and easy to fix.

I am going to ask to keep the old ecu if this happens again....

I'd be hesitant to drop coin on a new ECU without proof it fixes the issue

98% of the time 'needs ecu' is a dealers last ditch effort into fixing it by parts swapping. Diagnostics is not their strong suit.

98% of the time 'needs ecu' is a dealers last ditch effort into fixing it by parts swapping. Diagnostics is not their strong suit.

You are probably right but when my wife is on the phone crying to me while I am work that her car won't start again and the kids are in the car, it is what it is.

Back