• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Cam Option for NA Budget Drift 240?

StreetForged

My plans are fairly dead set on a K or H cam, though it seems that H cams are very hard to find. What I was wondering, was if there were still options in 2020 like the RSI cams, and if there would be any reason for me to go up a step from an OEM cam?

I ported my exhaust side of the head and my exhaust manifold, and intend to do the intake too when I replace some of the old gaskets. It is likely that I would get a header down the road, and the car is currently set up with a catless side dump. I have an MSD 6A ignition system, a lightweight flywheel with M47 and welded 3.73 rear end, and am planning on getting an E-fan and adjustable cam gear. I have also considered the possibility of shaving the head a little bit in the future. Car weighs about 2520lbs as of last week without fuel.

Power goals aren't very high; I'd be happy to make 140-150 to the wheels, and it wouldn't be bad for the setup to be decent with a small OEM turbo setup down the line, if I decide to swap to a T5 or something similar. The car already can drift 2nd fairly well, but I'd like to have more power up high without such a huge dead range with the M cam, and it would be awesome if 3rd gear drifts were possible at high speed/RPM. I'm thinking that an M47 should survive an NA drift build for a while if it's treated well.

Anything is better than the M cam.

K cams can be had relatively easily if you know where to look. Luckily forums are just such a place.

I would look at some of the Swedish cams that are out there. Enem makes good stuff.

Also don't discount A, B, V, or VX cams. All will give you something better.

140-150 to the wheels on an NA motor isn't really going to happen without some head work and/or higher compression.

I would look at the pinned NA performance and camshaft spec threads.

Anything is better than the M cam.

K cams can be had relatively easily if you know where to look. Luckily forums are just such a place.

I would look at some of the Swedish cams that are out there. Enem makes good stuff.

Also don't discount A, B, V, or VX cams. All will give you something better.

140-150 to the wheels on an NA motor isn't really going to happen without some head work and/or higher compression.

I would look at the pinned NA performance and camshaft spec threads.

I'll look into the Enem cams. I've read a fair bit about all the Volvo cams, and I'm not particularly interested in any of the other options aside from K and H, even if they're harder to find and more costly. No brand names come to mind for Swedish cam options?

Enem. AGAP. KGTrimning. KL Racing. Timo's Motor.

I've got a D cam for sale. It's got some fairly aggressive duration, so it will give you a pretty strong increase at higher rpm. With your low compression ratio, though, bottom end is gonna be pretty soggy.

Enem. AGAP. KGTrimning. KL Racing. Timo's Motor.

I've got a D cam for sale. It's got some fairly aggressive duration, so it will give you a pretty strong increase at higher rpm. With your low compression ratio, though, bottom end is gonna be pretty soggy.

Don't mean to be a dick here, But i don't agree with you... Its a stock cam profile. Sure, one of the ''better'' ones but far from aggressive. Kinda overselling it my friend :lol:

Still an upgrade over the M

That looks fun! What year and fuel injection?

When you say you ported the exhaust side of the head, are you saying you opened up the ports where they go into the factory exhaust manifold? That isn't actually an area you want to open up, it's just behind/above the valves that is the restriction. Same with the intake side, mostly.

The B230F intake manifold needs porting around the injectors, as far as easy port work goes for it. Otherwise, it's not a great manifold. You can get over 140whp with it if everything else is right, though.

For a factory camshaft, the K is "the best" for drifting. It's going to produce more torque and better idle/low rpm performance than the H with only minor difference in high rpm pull. The D cam will be around 5-15whp less, most likely, depending on the setup. Just remember that no camshaft is "the best". You need to match it to the rest of your setup for "the best" results.

Otherwise, a real camshaft from overseas is what you want. To make the most of any of these, you need to pull the head and shave it for more compression!

Start reading:
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=354499

Oh, and I've taken out 3rd gear in an M47 with 135whp or so in my 1991 240 before. Probably from a missed shift causing a fracture at some point when drag racing, but just know that they are far from indestructible.

Back