• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 final drive ratio

That brings up an other question. Are there any ?off-make? gear sets that fit the 1030 diff?

I see some .308 gear sets for a Dana 30... will it fit a Volvo 1030?

A popular Miata mod is to swap-in a ring and pinion from an 97 Kia Sportage to get a 4.78:1

Last edited:
^China metal/pinion probably won't last compared to a 1031, but "yes" basically of the stock volvo axles.
Volvo doesn't use the 3.54- carrier either/makes up the difference with the ring gear, have fun with that.

^China metal/pinion probably won't last compared to a 1031, but "yes" basically of the stock volvo axles.
Volvo doesn't use the 3.54- carrier either/makes up the difference with the ring gear, have fun with that.

lol.

Kia is Korean... not Chinese. The only manufacturer that sells an actual Chinese made vehicle to the U.S. market is GM with the Buick Envision.

I'm already confusing myself. 1030 vs 1031 with a 3.31. Will a TrueTrac 3.73 fit both a 1030 and 1031 ring gears? Will a 1031 fit my 1030 equipped car?

Just getting it cased so when I click "order" and call up Chapmans and say "get me the 3.31 axel" and send it all off to the shop for assembly Im not stiffed with "it don't fit!"

Last edited:
Some Volvos sold in the US are manufactured in China.

And more manufacturers are using suppliers basedin China for parts of varying significance.

I think Volvo was actually the first company to sell Chinese made car in the US market - the S60 Inscription. Closely followed by Cadillac (hybrid version of the CT6) and Buick.

Last edited:
I think what kjets was saying is that aftermarket gear sets are likely to be from China and won't last like OEM parts will. Obviously you aren't talking about putting Kia 4.78 gears in your Volvo. ;)

I'm pretty sure Jeep Dana 30 parts can be used in the Volvo 1030/31 axles but you may need to do a little homework or trial and error, and make sure you get a good set of gears as there is plenty of junk out there for sale. Noisy, short life, etc.

Jeep Dana 30 gearsets will only fit a 1030 diff. 1031 gearsets are available, but they're $600-800 plus shipping from Europe.
The Dana-Spicer gearsets are made in India, and have worked very well for us in race cars. The USA Standard Gear and Yukon gear sets are.. made in the USA. I had a USA gearset go soft in a race car, no 1000 mile break in. So I can't really fault it. The Dana-Spicer gearsets got even less of a break in and were completely fine. :e-shrug:

Jeep Dana 30 gearsets will only fit a 1030 diff. 1031 gearsets are available, but they're $600-800 plus shipping from Europe.
The Dana-Spicer gearsets are made in India, and have worked very well for us in race cars. The USA Standard Gear and Yukon gear sets are.. made in the USA. I had a USA gearset go soft in a race car, no 1000 mile break in. So I can't really fault it. The Dana-Spicer gearsets got even less of a break in and were completely fine. :e-shrug:

Looked into the Standard Gear and Yukon stuff... I can buy two axels for that money. lol... Me being a thrifty and cheap I'm just going to buy an axel with the 3.31 gear, install a TrueTrac, and swap the axels.

Yes, and probably. But 7/9 series axle housings do not bolt up in a 240.

I figured as much.

For clarification... there are no 240s with a 3.31 gear set in a 1031 axel? As far as I know the 3.31 gears were only available on older 240s with a 1030.

So If I call up Chapmans and say "hey, I want 240 axel with a 3.31:1 final gear ratio" I will receive a 1030 axel that will accept a TrueTrac, and my speedo cable?

3.31/1031 were only available on 7/9 series cars, correct?

I'm a double check, triple check kind of person.

No, the later 240 rear axles are 1031. I don't know when the change over occurs. It is probably around 1985 when the rear axle had the tone ring added to the carrier.

No, the later 240 rear axles are 1031. I don't know when the change over occurs. It is probably around 1985 when the rear axle had the tone ring added to the carrier.

No to what question?

I reread this page... I guess I missed the part about a 2031/3.31 on the V6 260 cars.

https://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Diff_LSD/diff_lsd_volvo_dana.htm

So the question remains.

I have a 1981 with a 1030/3.73 and a mechanical speedo cable.

Both a 1030 and a 1031 will accept a TrueTrac, and my mechanical speedo cable will hook-up no problem to a 1031?

Got to make it easier on the guys at the yard. lol

Thanks

I have a 1981 with a 1030/3.73 and a mechanical speedo cable.

Both a 1030 and a 1031 will accept a TrueTrac, and my mechanical speedo cable will hook-up no problem to a 1031?

Since the speedo cable attaches to the transmission, the choice of axle housing is irrelevant.

If you had a later electronic speedo which reads from a tone ring on the rear gear, then your choice of axle housing would matter.

No to these statements. Both are incorrect.

"For clarification... there are no 240s with a 3.31 gear set in a 1031 axel? As far as I know the 3.31 gears were only available on older 240s with a 1030."

Somewhere around 1985 Volvo went to the 1031 axle in a 240. All US market manual trans equipped 240s run a 3.31 ring and pinion set from 1983-1993. The nice thing about running a 1031 is that the 1041 gear sets fit it.

No to these statements. Both are incorrect.

"For clarification... there are no 240s with a 3.31 gear set in a 1031 axel? As far as I know the 3.31 gears were only available on older 240s with a 1030."

Somewhere around 1985 Volvo went to the 1031 axle in a 240. All US market manual trans equipped 240s run a 3.31 ring and pinion set from 1983-1993. The nice thing about running a 1031 is that the 1041 gear sets fit it.

Good to know.

I'm more familiar with "modular" Japanese cars where almost everything fits everything else.

Have to give one side's axle-shaft a slight haircut if installing 1041 G80 in 240s except the all of like 2? 92-93 240s that came with the G80 as an option :lol:

Cold saw/lathe/zircon disc depending how (un)scrupulous/low budget you are?

For V8 slow brutal torque, as volvo did with the 164 OE (1031), wouldn't use any 1030s/non-OE metal, but that's just me.
Not like Volvo OE is some god ordained thing either, just the guys wanted it to last the warranty/equipped the more powerful cars somewhat thoughtfully given cost constraints/avoiding being sued/recalls at all?
Probably wouldn't have gone to the expense for 1031 as early as the late 60s otherwise on a lower budget/disposable/limited mass production passenger car?

That said, they probably had that in the junkpile from the 6-cylinder / off road stuff 1969+?

Last edited:
Sounds about right.
I pulled a 1031 out of a 1985 recently. Pretty sure the 83 out back has a 1030. No clue on 84.

Back