• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Car audio builds

This is as far as I got on my latest stereo hahaha, the engine swap is more important at the moment.

nhjK8sYl.jpg

I need to try to get up there with some cable and stuff. I got sideswiped by teaching.

I need to try to get up there with some cable and stuff. I got sideswiped by teaching.

It's all good, I do need it sometime kinda soon but no rush. I can't imagine what teaching must be like right now, lots of extra challenges for sure.

Here's how I did my T5R years ago
41380493.jpg

It's been ages but from memory, Morel components, JL Audio sub and amps. Sounded great

That's purtty, I'm just too lazy to do it one by one, so I'm buying kits now that comes with speakers and amps that's car specific, I did some sound proofing on the 4runner and thought that was fun, will probably do it to the new truck too.

Hey Carl, I genuinely liked your suitcase setup also :cool:

Thanks boss! Chicks dig it...

E8ABFCAF-A363-4826-A124-192D91C73D8A-M.jpg

2C4ABF01-E95F-4D9A-8766-38CE1F3007AB-M.jpg

04C2E5C8-8463-43E8-89F5-730B8B4DA5D4-M.jpg

488E6B0E-736F-45AF-A83C-1F5C2665CE36-M.jpg

90FA659D-029A-4A9A-A9FA-CAC6381B1CB9-M.jpg

82B711B1-A5B7-4EAA-9FE4-2F863727CC32-M.jpg

71D8CEB8-2E62-456B-BBF6-BBA81DE75BE7-M.jpg

Always wanted to try a stereo. This one started with an impulse purchase of the amp. I figured it would fit under a front seat. Wrong. LOL. Now I have 37.6' of speaker wire...

A proper sub in the passenger quarter panel would be nice. And larger speakers in the front doors. Sounds pretty good for what it is though.

The new cars sure sound nice. Just the standard factory radio can be impressive.

I haven't done a stereo build recently, and didn't take pics of the last few, but have been slowly collecting some high end components for my '78 242 build. I will document it in my build thread.

Guys, face your subs towards the rear of the car. It will improve the response and sound immensely. The idea is that a bass note, like any other, is a wave. If you send it straight up, or out the side, someone hears it, but not you. Insulate the rear of the car so it bounces back towards the passenger compartment. The sound wave needs a certain length, the deeper the bass, the longer the wave. So if the sub is facing towards you, it might sound best somewhere around the middle of your hood. Bounce it off the tailgate, and it will make a full wave when it hits you.
It's more likely the noise cancellation.
It took me a while to remember where I saw this.
https://www.installer.com/tech/index.php?page=aiming

Do any of you car audio studs know of a device which would add the capability to charge, line out, and hands free telephone my iphone?

I want to keep the CR-712 head unit and I want to use it for cassette and tuner. Just to flex on the other 80's kids. I want to line out the head unit into a Dayton DSP-408.

This unit has 4 inputs. Inputs 1 and 2 can be from the head unit via the EQ loop. Inputs 3 and 4 can be from a line out from an iphone.

Now is where it gets tricky. I want this to be completely stealth. I want it to look like a completely stock system, but I can plug my phone in to a hidden cord and both charge and stream high quality music over the lightning cable. This much is easy to do.

The kicker comes in wanting a bluetooth handsfree kit to work with all this. Has anyone seen a device that could charge, do line level audio, and hands free calls that is NOT a complete head unit? Ideally I would be able to tuck this device in the dash, have a lightning cable hanging out somewhere and if I want phone music I just switch inputs on my DSP. I can accomplish this much. It's the hands free mic and hearing the caller on the speakers that is the trick.

Do any of you car audio studs know of a device which would add the capability to charge, line out, and hands free telephone my iphone?

I want to keep the CR-712 head unit and I want to use it for cassette and tuner. Just to flex on the other 80's kids. I want to line out the head unit into a Dayton DSP-408.

This unit has 4 inputs. Inputs 1 and 2 can be from the head unit via the EQ loop. Inputs 3 and 4 can be from a line out from an iphone.

Now is where it gets tricky. I want this to be completely stealth. I want it to look like a completely stock system, but I can plug my phone in to a hidden cord and both charge and stream high quality music over the lightning cable. This much is easy to do.

The kicker comes in wanting a bluetooth handsfree kit to work with all this. Has anyone seen a device that could charge, do line level audio, and hands free calls that is NOT a complete head unit? Ideally I would be able to tuck this device in the dash, have a lightning cable hanging out somewhere and if I want phone music I just switch inputs on my DSP. I can accomplish this much. It's the hands free mic and hearing the caller on the speakers that is the trick.

I think I just figured this out. Fwiw, I work in pro audio. So I am borrowing some stuff from the commercial install world to make this a realiy.

OK. Inputs to the dsp. In 1/2 is L/R of the head unit. Ins 3/4 is the L/R of a Rolls du30b Ducker. Input 1 of the ducker will be an aux cable for the phone. Input 2 will be the feed from a standalone BT handsfree kit.

The ducker will play my phone music throuh the speakers until I get a call. At which time the ducker will "duck" or turn down/off the music and let the second input go through. After input 2 shuts off, the music fades back up. And the ducker runs on 12 volts so can be used in a car.

So now I have a solution to keep my cassette player and tuner from the stock HU, and have the ability to switch to my phone which will automatically turn off the music and play the phone call through the speakers. I won't be able to answer calls while the HU is active, but thats a trade off I can live with.

This can work!

I now need to fidure out how to hide the stuff. Especially the bluetooth kit.

Way cool.
I decided to keep the 6 disc changer in my 03 wrx and add a line level sub amp and a mini (home-brewed) bandpass box. I usually go for sealed, and still might. But I can build a bandpass to fit an odd space and maybe make it sound good. And I have some weird parts that will work in this.

Back