• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Back Brakes stuck

Texas Old Fart

Thanks for all the help last time.

After waiting for parts for tune up, timing belt, seals and cam, other projects got priority. I'm now back on the 244.
After installing all the above; and the engine sounding good, I test drove it. Damn, the back brakes are sticking and that warning light is on.
I don't think I cleaned up the parking brake shoes.
Since it sat since Apr could the parking brake be sticking and cause the light to come on or is there also different problem?
Thanks for any help you can give.

You have two brake lights. One is for the parking brake, the other is the hydraulic system for the 4 wheel braking system. If the light for the hydraulic system is coming on, that has absolutely nothing to do with your emergency brake.

Jack up the rear of the car, start the engine and select a gear. See if both wheels turn freely

If only one does, put that side back on ground and jack the opposite side to free it up if it is stuck

Car's up in the air. both wheels are stuck. cannot turn them at all. Light is now out. I never put on the parking brake while it was sitting. Is there other things which cause rear lock up/stuck brakes?

Brake light my story, randomly one day it started to dim on the dashboard and after a month occasionally fully light up for brief moments, breaking/slowing down/accelerating unrelated.
Took me: new rotors, new set of brake pads 2 full flushes of break fluid through all lines and bleed screws and excessive cleaning of the connection plug on the brake junction box to get rid of that occasional light popping out.

Car's up in the air. both wheels are stuck. cannot turn them at all. Light is now out. I never put on the parking brake while it was sitting. Is there other things which cause rear lock up/stuck brakes?

Bad/torn seals on the caliper pistons allowing them to rust. I have replaced plenty of calipers over the years for this reason. All of the calipers on my 1979 242 had to be replaced. On my first test drive after getting the car running the front caliper stuck about 2 miles from home. By the time I got the car back home the rotors were glowing red. I cooled them with the hose to keep the car from catching on fire. I replaced the calipers and rotors with vented rotors before driving it again.

Oreilly has the rear calipers available. I would replace them both and the rubber hoses if I were you. Garage miles are hard on them.

Plugged rubber brake lines, they can look good on the outside, but.....

Binding e-brake cable?

Probably need a disassembly of the rear brakes and see whats up.

I replaced the rubber hoses with braided steel ones front and back from IPD.
Maybe the calipers are sticking, but before when I went through the brakes, the back right was not getting any pressure to the caliper. Replacing the hoses and pads and doing a proper bleed seemed to solve the problem.
I'll pull the pads and see if they are still stuck. I think that might tell me if it is the parking brake or calipers.
Thanks

Bad/torn seals on the caliper pistons allowing them to rust. I have replaced plenty of calipers over the years for this reason. All of the calipers on my 1979 242 had to be replaced. On my first test drive after getting the car running the front caliper stuck about 2 miles from home. By the time I got the car back home the rotors were glowing red. I cooled them with the hose to keep the car from catching on fire. I replaced the calipers and rotors with vented rotors before driving it again.

Thanks I may have to replace the calipers
Also Thanks Kyote

Back