• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

It's definitely driving me crazy. The M46 is a bolt-in affair, that would cost me a Rockauto.com clutch kit. The T5 is something I really want to do, but would require a bit more spending, and a trip to a driveshaft shop. If I hadn't ordered stuff to fix up the M46 before I got the T5, I'd just flip the Volvo box and work on the Ferd one.

I have nothing to lose by doing the M46, since my only concern is a dead O/D unit. If it is dead, then I guess I'll have 4 speeds while waiting to finish the T5 swap parts collecting. It would give me a chance to re-make a few parts that I'm not totally happy with.

I guess I've decided then. M46 for now, so I can finish the swap before winter (which is a concern, because I can't work on the car during the cold months and having something half-done will drive me batty). Then accumulate the rest of the parts I need for the T5.

As I was putting the exhaust studs in yesterday, I noticed something funny. Every single stud hole has been helicoiled. This engine has definitely been refurbished :).

The 8.5" turbo clutch kit is showing up next wed/thurs, and then I can start to plan the install of the engine.

Never throw out your original power steering pump, especially if it has all the tensioner brackets on it. You'll find yourself buying stuff you shouldn't have to, ugh.
Thankfully a local dude had what I was after :).

The adapter is done. It needs trimming, and I have no idea how far out from true it is, but I did it and I'm stoked. I need to get it trimmed, and figure out if I'm going to sacrifice the M46 bellhousing (although I don't have to mod it) or stick with the one that's on it currently, that means I have to use a Ford throwout bearing. Going with the M46 one means I can use the volvo bearing, but that's the only difference.

7vKUxRVo_o.jpg

If you do end up installing that M46, keep in mind that it is an older unit from a pre-1979 car, so it has fewer splines on the input shaft. You may not be able to get a heavier duty clutch kit for it.
Rob

It's a 22-spline box :).

Heading down to the local Iron Workers union hall on sat to use the plasma cutter and trim up the adapter. A buddy of mine (also a neighbour) is an instructor there and offered to let trim it myself.

Hell.

Yes. :)

It's a 22-spline box :).

Heading down to the local Iron Workers union hall on sat to use the plasma cutter and trim up the adapter. A buddy of mine (also a neighbour) is an instructor there and offered to let trim it myself.

Hell.

Yes. :)

Oops, I was looking at the pic in post#557, but now I?m realizing that this input shaft is the T5 tranny.
Rob

DCOEs are the end goal, but I have particular requirements in that regard...and that means a fair bit of saving my pennies. A good set of Webers is not cheap, and Dellorto DHLAs (my personal favourite) are almost non-existent now (if you're looking for non-emissions versions, anyway). Not to mention needing to buy 4 of every jet/tube when tuning them. I want to be able to buy the carbs and a ton of jets at the same time.

I started tearing down the whiteblock for removal last night, and found a LOT of oil in the intake. Maybe this swap was a good idea...

It begins...
YDS8sR6M_o.jpg

Did a bit of pressure washing to try to get more of the oil-coating out of the bay, removed the Speeduino/MS, and the POI-shift. Next up is to remove the shifters, and boost controller.

I'd really like to find a way to keep the existing Homer mounts, since they definitely provide a better mounting solution, IMO. The positioning is such that no extra torque mount would be needed to keep the crappy stock mounts from tearing and the engine from rocking.

Doing stuff on your own is pretty tiring, especially with a really bad back. No matter, it's in and now I can relax.

sA1wt3AD_o.jpg

The AQ140A intake manifold makes it very tempting to find some way of running dual Zeniths or something along those lines. I've considered some Mikuni HSR45s...but (and this is pretty lame of me) I find they're the ugliest carb I've ever seen. I've got a nice genuine Weber 32/36 DGV, but I'm stumped on the best way to adapt it.

If anyone is paying attention because they want whiteblock swap/turbo parts...in a week (after a much-needed vacation) the bolt-in Homer mounts will be going up for sale. All you'd need is two stock passenger-side redblock cushions and you'd be halfway to getting a whiteblock in your car :).

Back