• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

60-2 Flywheel Installed Incorrectly

StreetForged

What sort of symptoms would I see from installing the flywheel at the improper angle on an LH2.4 car with an m47? I didnt even think about it and didnt see anything in my research about that when I started my manual swap so I just threw the flywheel and clutch on and the transmission is already in place. I decided to try to turn it over to see if my neutral safety bypass worked and if the teeth would be an issue, but it turned right over no problem, no weird noises. Did I just get really lucky, or will I experience other problems that I just didnt notice upon starting the car?

Try this: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=357580

but you want to look for the smooth / no-holes region on the flywheel instead of the no cutouts region on the flexplate.

"If the engine started, your flywheel timing is correct. Look for other problems"

I think this answered my question, the car fired right up just as if I hadn't swapped it at all, so I figure it's probably fine. I got incredibly lucky I guess. Will have to put the driveshaft in tomorrow and see if it has any issues when the wheels are on the ground.

I wish there were inspection windows on M47s. I test drove the car today and it seemed to have normal power, but was popping a lot more than it did with the automatic when I got off the gas. I'm assuming that this is a side effect of retarded timing from the flywheel being improperly aligned?

It's hard to say for sure, as I also imagine that the clutch is a lot less forgiving than a torque converter on decel, so that could have also made it worse. Catless side dump with no muffler, the head and exhaust manifold are also ported. I didn't really beat on the car at all, so I'll have to experiment more with how well it generally runs, but judging from the pops, I can only assume that it's running pretty rich/retarded.

Jerk out starter...as Art or someone said in other thread.

It may come to that soon, but I put 60 miles on the car today and it seemed to be running pretty well. I feel like it has a noticeable MPG improvement, and it accelerates fine. It's a little slower than I expected because of the 3.73 rear and the car being 2600lbs, but overall it doesn't seem like anything serious enough is different to suggest that the flywheel ended up misaligned. I'm going to try to check the timing soon and see what's going on there.

If I remember correctly tooth 15 is under the sensor when the engine is at TDC... so it's easy to check.

If I remember correctly tooth 15 is under the sensor when the engine is at TDC... so it's easy to check.

Yes, before recommending the view from the automatic's bell housing windows, I used to recommend feeling through the sensor hole and counting 13 holes while turning the crank backward from TDC. I've never had a need to do this for any of my cars. Just trying to help folks avoid dropping the starter. Yet I would have to recommend the plugs be removed and much care taken that the fingertip wouldn't be sliced by the tone ring.

I've never owned an M47, so I don't know personally how it would feel to count divots in the flywheel this way, but it makes sense the same technique will save a lot of work dealing with that upper starter bolt.

Back