• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ok... its official... i'm a dumbass

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
I think I found the culprit of my really bad gas mileage and strage revving and idle things.... I PUT MY TB GASKET ON WRONG!!! The thing is kinda a lopsided shape.. and i put the first to bolts through.. and just thought that the bottem was on.. hehe.. far from it. I have a 1mm + hole that is allowing tons of un-metered air in right now.. so I have to take the TB off again.. and re-position the gasket... DOUGH!!!!!

Kevin

DUMB ASS!!!

No, I'm just kidding.... I did the same thing putting my engine together after detailing. Thankfully, my girlfreind noticed it had a little extra gasket haning out one side!

Good thing for her eyes

Jordan

ok.. fixed that.. now another thing... should there be soo much gas in the intake manifold.. I took off the TB and was like whoaa... almost wanted to pass out from the smell, and noticed that the gasket and TB were wet with gas...??? why should it be like that? I had used the car for a while then parked it, so any gas from the NORMAL cold start valve use should have been used already. What does this mean adn how do i fix it?

Well if there was a leak, there was fuel/air mixture blowing out that hole instead of getting burned, it should be fine now that it's sealed.

but my question way.. should i be worried about ALL that gas in the thing? there was like a mini puddle of it in my TB when i was looking in it. Could the cold start valve be leaking?

Kevin

Damn you Jordan and your girlfriend!

Not only do you have a girlfriend :wink: but one that cares what that "doo-dad"* under the hood is...
(* : actual quote from a ditzy girl that I ditched because of "irreconcileable differences" rooting from her total apathy of my passion for automobiles and the G's that they convey... **)

Kevin,
I'm glad you're taking the effort to figure things out. LH is a bitch. My dad toiled on that thing until he learned everything there is to learn about the be-yotch and fixed everything... now it idles ultra-smooth and gets 10% better mileage than we first got the car (3 years old and 27K miles)... its a mid-life crisis that many Volvos face. Most people advoid facing it and just drag the car until it dies (where a rebuild comes in and fixes everything for 1/8 of the price of trying to keep the hulk rolling...). you save SO much time and money by doing it yourself. kudos.

~Matt

(note: ** bald faced lie)

As far as feeling like a dumbass, I got something that tops that. I took off the long intercooler pipe to polish it and from what I deduced upon teardown of the engine (after it started making really terrible clicking noise, like a spun bearing or something) is that I had probably bent and loosened a piece of the little clips that hold the hose clamps on the ends of the hoses (if that makes sense) and a piece had gotten sucked into the #1 cylinder and torn the crap out of the head and piston while the piston was moving up and down a bunch of times a second. Not good. What a dumbass, if I had just been more carefull or replaced the old clamps I wouldn't have had to rebuild my engine. But it was a blessing in disguise because I rebuilt my first engine with the help of my knowlegdgable dad and not on my own. I'm actually really glad it happened because now I know how to rebuild an engine the right way, and I bonded with my pops. I probably wouldn't have had that opportunity if it had happened later because I've moved out since then. So seen the cup is half full, unless your really screwed :?

*edit* I doubt you you did anything bad, I'd run it for a few days and pull the TB off and check it. If it seems to be running fine after you fixed it you're probably fine, unless someone chimes in with a doom and gloom prediction :)

*edit 2* oh yeah if you are really worried, smell the oil to see if you had any gasoline blowby, that could cause some problems, but even then you'd just have to change your oil. You should be ok.

i figured out why there was sooo much gas in the manifold... the FPR failed.. the hose to the thing smells like crap. When you suck on the vac line .. when the other side is conencted to the FPR, you can get a drop or 2 of gas to come out.... any other things i should check to make sure it is the FPR before i buy a new one?

D Hulting said:
As far as feeling like a dumbass, I got something that tops that. I took off the long intercooler pipe to polish it and from what I deduced upon teardown of the engine (after it started making really terrible clicking noise, like a spun bearing or something) is that I had probably bent and loosened a piece of the little clips that hold the hose clamps on the ends of the hoses (if that makes sense) and a piece had gotten sucked into the #1 cylinder and torn the crap out of the head and piston while the piston was moving up and down a bunch of times a second...

Like this guy? http://www.miata.net/apple/0111.html :eek:

Yep, but not quite that bad. I kept the piston, I'll have to post a picture sometime. There's a piece still stuck in the top.

[quote:22fc8ff73d]any other things i should check to make sure it is the FPR before i buy a new one?
[/quote:22fc8ff73d]

When my FPR went I had a variety of problems...

1. very hard starts.
2. NO idle when cold, engine would just stall. If I kept it above 2k until it warmed up it would idle at about 1k and stall frequently when coming to a stop.
3. White smoke and black water from the exhaust.
4. Fuel in the vacuum line (as you noted), fuel in the manifold, fuel dripping from the idle air adjustment on the throttle body.
5. NO fuel through the return line...

The fuel in the vacuum line makes me suspect yours is bad, but you can test the return line to make sure. Get a few feet of hose and attach it to the return line fitting on the FPR. Run it to a bucket or jug or something, start the car and let it idle...you should be getting a good amount of fuel at idle, if you get none or only a trickle you know it's bad. Once I replaced the FPR the car ran better than it had in years...

Evan

Wow...i never knew that the FPR would be the prob i had, when i would let the car run, i would rev the car to high rpms, then i would goto the back and i would see black water on the ground ..but i didnt think it would of been the FPR, where can i get a cheap FPR??

87 740TBI

Back