home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default 2013 Volvo XC90 intermittant start

60,000 miles on ODO.

Installed a new starter. Same problem. 90 percent of the time it starts no problem. No rhyme or reason as to why it doesn't start when it doens't want.

When it doesn't want to start it won't start regardless of how many times we crank it. Jump starting doesn't seem to help. Wait a while and it'll start but it could be hours before it'll start on its own or it could be a few minutes.

The engine will randomly stop while driving but not very often.

Battery is good, they tested it. It isn't throwing codes, VIDA doesn't recognize any issues. Volvo dealer can't replicate problem. They have had it for 3 days. They say its hard to diagnose issue unless it does it.

Im thinking starter switch? Any clue? WOuldnt' a bad alternator be self evident? The dealer is struggling and this is annoying AF.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
yozsi
Newbie
 
yozsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vallejo, CA
Default

Is it not cranking or does it crank and not start? If the latter, then why the frig did you change the starter? Lmfao
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
Is it not cranking or does it crank and not start? If the latter, then why the frig did you change the starter? Lmfao
It would not crank.

Dealer just called. ECU that’s expensive!
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

No warnings? Something like "start prevented, try again"?

Let me know the outcome. I've only had one bad ECM in 13 years at Volvo.

Jordan
__________________
80 242- 2.5L 16V, NIW intake/exhaust, T5, Porsche brakes, short billies and Kaplenkhe suspension, Trutrack.
Project Thread- http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324470
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
No warnings? Something like "start prevented, try again"?

Let me know the outcome. I've only had one bad ECM in 13 years at Volvo.

Jordan
Yeah no warning at all. Happened out of nowhere. VIDA nothing, no idiots lights, no nothing. Took a while to replicate problem.

This XC90 has sort of been the black hole of problems. Steering wheel angle sensor, AC blower motor, twice, bad window switch, this ECU, etc.

Good mechnically but the electrics are very mehhhh. JUst want to get another 2 years out of it then Tahoe.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Yeah no warning at all. Happened out of nowhere. VIDA nothing, no idiots lights, no nothing. Took a while to replicate problem.

This XC90 has sort of been the black hole of problems. Steering wheel angle sensor, AC blower motor, twice, bad window switch, this ECU, etc.

Good mechnically but the electrics are very mehhhh. JUst want to get another 2 years out of it then Tahoe.
Steering angle sensor is common. One and done fix.

AC blower motor? You mean the blower fan in the car? They're common for noise (but mainly in the cold). I can talk you how to change it, but you probably have lifetime on that now.

Window switch is not common unless something was poured on it.

They tried a new starter motor relay first right?
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
 
Pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NoVA
Default

Why in OT?
__________________
2010 Porsche Cayenne S - My ride - 99k stock
2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV - Wifeys ride - 205k stock
2007 Audi A4 3.2 M6 - daughters ride - 166k stock
2006 Volvo XC70 Wagon - sons ride - 175k stock
1992 Volvo 965 - "Savage Wagon" w LS 5.3 LM7 + LS7 cam + GM T5 swap in progress.
1979 Porsche 911SC - stock
1971 Chevy C-10 w 5.3 LS (LS2 cam) & GM T5 trans
1948 Spartan Mansion travel trailer - aluminum greatness
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Why in OT?
Mostly because this XC90 is too new to put in the repair section. LOL.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Steering angle sensor is common. One and done fix.

AC blower motor? You mean the blower fan in the car? They're common for noise (but mainly in the cold). I can talk you how to change it, but you probably have lifetime on that now.

Window switch is not common unless something was poured on it.

They tried a new starter motor relay first right?
I don't know for sure they tried the relay. I know they spent a long time looking it over.

If its the ECU I am fine with it. The car is in excellent condition and wife wants a new Tahoe but I am waiting for the new one with IRS (more legroom in back).
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
golgothan
5000+ HP Club
 
golgothan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durham, NC.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Why in OT?
The attention he craves is in OT, so here we are.
golgothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
 
Pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NoVA
Default



DirtyHoe WUT!
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #12
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Why in OT?
His TB link shortcut probably opens directly in OT...

Maybe he doesn't that there are actually other topics on the Forum?

DF have a look at these:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

And this is for members who actually do work on their cars. You probably never been or posted there but whatever:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
__________________


1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
His TB link shortcut probably opens directly in OT...

Maybe he doesn't that there are actually other topics on the Forum?

DF have a look at these:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

And this is for members who actually do work on their cars. You probably never been or posted there but whatever:

https://forums.tbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Most of you don’t work on modern cars with VIDA especially on a daily driver your wife relies on to transport kids.

To each their own. We don’t have to like the same things.

Mods can move it. You are right

Should have posted on Swede speed. They actually buy new cars.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post


DirtyHoe WUT!
Naaaaaa we need a 3 row suv.

Stops the rugrats from beating each other
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
Mesoam
Board Member
 
Mesoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: CT
Default

Just curious if the ignition switch is flaky with these as they have the turn and release starting feature. I've seen the engine not catch and you have to hold the key turned
__________________
08 XC90 R-Sport
Mesoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #16
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoam View Post
Just curious if the ignition switch is flaky with these as they have the turn and release starting feature. I've seen the engine not catch and you have to hold the key turned
I was actually wondering the same thing. Apparently that is a common failure and easy to fix.

I am going to ask to keep the old ecu if this happens again....
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Mesoam
Board Member
 
Mesoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: CT
Default

I'd be hesitant to drop coin on a new ECU without proof it fixes the issue
Mesoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #18
yozsi
Newbie
 
yozsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vallejo, CA
Default

98% of the time 'needs ecu' is a dealers last ditch effort into fixing it by parts swapping. Diagnostics is not their strong suit.
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #19
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
98% of the time 'needs ecu' is a dealers last ditch effort into fixing it by parts swapping. Diagnostics is not their strong suit.
You are probably right but when my wife is on the phone crying to me while I am work that her car won't start again and the kids are in the car, it is what it is.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoam View Post
I'd be hesitant to drop coin on a new ECU without proof it fixes the issue
If it doesn't fix it I'll get a refund. I am hoping it doesn't work because the ignition switch is much less pricey.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
 
Pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NoVA
Default



BMW X7 just came out and has 3 rows.

Do you need to tow anything? That is the differentiator on a lot of the SUVs vs capability.
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Naaa man. I want two more years out of the XC90 then she wants a Tahoe. Tahoes are sort of thing with her family and they last a long time and are reliable.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
 
Pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NoVA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Should have posted on Swede speed. They actually buy new cars.
Indebted peasants!



Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
Pillow
Sleazebag 7-9 Owner
 
Pillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NoVA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Naaa man. I want two more years out of the XC90 then she wants a Tahoe. Tahoes are sort of thing with her family and they last a long time and are reliable.
100% true! 200k+ is nothing to an LS engine.

IMO get a used Escalade as it is sooo much more car for the money vs a Tahoe. The larger 6.2 engine is worth it alone. At least ensure you get the electromagnetic suspension vs base steel/rear air.

... I tried to justify a used Tahoe Z71, but for the same price the Cayenne S was better in every category. No 3rd row needed so that was a non-issue. My only regret is not spending a little bit more for a Turbo version.

Adding: If reliability is your #1 goal then a GM SUV is very very hard to beat. Our current 2010 ESV has 194k and going strong. Our old 2005 ESV we sold to a friend is about 300k and still going strong. So yes, hard to beat.

Last edited by Pillow; 04-12-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #25
deepfried
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
100% true! 200k+ is nothing to an LS engine.

IMO get a used Escalade as it is sooo much more car for the money vs a Tahoe. The larger 6.2 engine is worth it alone. At least ensure you get the electromagnetic suspension vs base steel/rear air.

... I tried to justify a used Tahoe Z71, but for the same price the Cayenne S was better in every category. No 3rd row needed so that was a non-issue. My only regret is not spending a little bit more for a Turbo version.

Adding: If reliability is your #1 goal then a GM SUV is very very hard to beat. Our current 2010 ESV has 194k and going strong. Our old 2005 ESV we sold to a friend is about 300k and still going strong. So yes, hard to beat.
Yeah man, I totally dig them. I'll buy her new because she keeps cars for 8-10 years and the new Tahoe will be a lot better and worth it for us versus the current one. The third row of the current Tahoe has no legroom because of the axle. They are changing that with the new one.

She wants to order one.

BTW good choice on the Cayenne. I get it.
deepfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.