• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 240 radio upgrade pics?

RickATL

Has anyone had success with installing this type of radio in a 240? The air vents seems to be a major roadblock. If so, could you please post a picture of your setup? I need to update my daughter's car radio and add a back up camera.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 218
Yeah. Who needs stinkin' air vents anyway?

s-l500.jpg

ebay listing.

Has anyone had success with installing this type of radio in a 240? The air vents seems to be a major roadblock. If so, could you please post a picture of your setup? I need to update my daughter's car radio and add a back up camera.

You have a link for that radio?

^

The pic is just grabbed from the ebay listing that I linked to.

I have not done that mod myself. Nor would I as I DO need the AC.

I did install a new Kenwood in the lower slot in my 91 though.

I bought my single DIN JVC stereo from Crutchfield. They also have the single DIN adapter plate and it all fits without disturbing the hvac vents. They also provide the connector with pigtails of wire so it adapts to the car harness. Another thing they used to have is adapter brackets so you could use the stock door speaker grills again. But I don't know if they are still available.

I would suggest getting cameras for driving. There is no obstructed vision in any direction in a 245. If they can bend their neck and stare down at their phone they can turn their head and look around. :lol:

I bought my single DIN JVC stereo from Crutchfield. They also have the single DIN adapter plate and it all fits without disturbing the hvac vents. They also provide the connector with pigtails of wire so it adapts to the car harness. Another thing they used to have is adapter brackets so you could use the stock door speaker grills again. But I don't know if they are still available.

I would suggest getting cameras for driving. There is no obstructed vision in any direction in a 245. If they can bend their neck and stare down at their phone they can turn their head and look around. :lol:
A JVC with the android interface screen? We are not talking about a normal single DIN radio. It is a single DIN but with a much larger screen interface.

I don't need a camera. I talking about a teenager who only learned on a Prius with one. They get very used to what they learned on and I'd rather her not bump into things.

Here are two single-DIN radios which accept rear view camera input. The screens are tiny but should be usable... Also no "advanced" phone integration or touchscreen. Relatively cheap though!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX560B/JVC-KD-X560BT.html?tp=5684
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR345B/Soundstream-VR-345B.html?tp=5684

Unfortunate that the overhang on both stock radio locations prevents a fold-out screen radio from fitting. A fold-out screen that extends down would fit but I don't see any of those - and it would get quite toasted by the vents in the winter, which could kill the LCD.

Reviving thread after 2-3 years.

Has anyone come across a solution for this in the interim? Either a slide out touchscreen that goes down instead of up, in order the clear the dash overhang. Or a touchscreen that's on a pivot long enough to clear the overhang.

I'd LOVE to have Apple Carplay and Waze!

I honestly just ended up setting my phone in the coin tray and running Android Auto (RIP phone version) linked to a Kenwood Bluetooth unit for all my nav+music needs. There are a few options for head units with "remote mount" screens but I don't think any of them are that attractive and none of them look small enough to fit in the single DIN space above the dash vents. The 3d printed brackets have that kind of ugly printed texture to them as well - not sure whether they're made of PLA or ABS but I'd be concerned about durability too.

I honestly just ended up setting my phone in the coin tray and running Android Auto (RIP phone version) linked to a Kenwood Bluetooth unit for all my nav+music needs. There are a few options for head units with "remote mount" screens but I don't think any of them are that attractive and none of them look small enough to fit in the single DIN space above the dash vents. The 3d printed brackets have that kind of ugly printed texture to them as well - not sure whether they're made of PLA or ABS but I'd be concerned about durability too.

Ok thanks, this is helpful. The "remote mount" screens didn't exist last time I was in the car radio scene. My last 240 had a modern Pioneer BT head unit in the bottom cubby and an open top cubby. My new 240 has an original non-functional Volvo tape deck in the top cubby and open bottom cubby.

For the new car, I think I'll put my old BT Pioneer in the bottom, open the top, and install an Atoto P8 "remote screen" linked to phone and output through the Pioneer. I'll probably just mount the bracket in the open cubby and telescope it out at the level of, and just above, the top cubby, past the overhang. Some more planning and prettying up to be decided.

Back