home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 03-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Mark G
STARTTLS

Default 2.4 9xx ECU vs Microsquirt

I'm making my way through a +t on my '93 245. I had originally thought that I was going to source a 967, 975 or similar ECU, ideally with a chip. After watching Kenny's videos and reading through some of his threads, I'm wondering if I should just make the leap and go Microsquirt straight away.

The car will be an occasional driver, not a daily (at least for the foreseeable future). It will have a 15G, and an e-fan setup out of a 850. Otherwise, stock.

I'm familiar with micro controllers, computer systems, logging, etc.

Anyone willing to give me the pros and cons of each, or point me to a thread that already covers this?

Sold: 1981 242 DL
Parted and crushed: 1990 245 DL
1993 245 DL

Feedback thread

Instagram
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Dirty Rick
Board Member

If you don't know the difference now, either way will be the same amount of difficulty. (Learning curve)

I like the Megasquirt solution because it is more transparent, adjustable, modifiable, and has a very active support group.

If you stick with the 2.4 you are limited by the amount and availability of info and the limitations of the system.

Since you have a pre OBD2 car you can may even pass an emissions test with a MS installed should you become encumbered by a controlled county. (I have for 5 years now.)
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
OttoB
Board Member

Pros:
Easy to adjust
Easy air cleaner job
Loggin
Boost control
Get rid of AMM
Wasted spark
Wideband lambda

Cons
Knock sensing 404
Wiring work
Tuning work starts from zero
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Mark G
STARTTLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
If you don't know the difference now, either way will be the same amount of difficulty. (Learning curve)

I like the Megasquirt solution because it is more transparent, adjustable, modifiable, and has a very active support group.
No prior knowledge of LH tuning, so no effort lost there. I'm a long time (Debian) Linux user, so all of the traits you've mentioned resonate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoB View Post
Pros:
Easy to adjust
Easy air cleaner job
Loggin
Boost control
Get rid of AMM
Wasted spark
Wideband lambda

Cons
Knock sensing 404
Wiring work
Tuning work starts from zero
Yes, boost control is one of the most desirable parts. What do you mean by "easy air cleaner job" and "knock sensing 404"?
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Acke
Board Member

404 = (page) not found. And I suppose easy air cleaner job means you can slap a cone filter directly on the turbo if you feel like it (since you don't have to worry about the AMM).
Acke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
benflynn
bigpimpin740t@yahoo.com

You will learn more about engine management with msns, it's really no contest, I don't see why all the lh tuning with every bit of ms info you need for a Volvo is on this site, for a decade now
Old 03-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Don't even consider a MSNS. <<<
You want MS2 hardware and MSExtra firmware or better yet a MS3.

Be aware that the hardware comes from B&G, but the firmware B&G offers is older than MSNS.

With a MS2 You don't get logging unless you have an attached PC, MS3 will self log to a SD chip.

DIYautoTune is one stop shopping and ninja fast shipping on "in stock" items.

Update firmware before you start tuning as some DIY units come with very old MSExtra firmware installed.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
redblockpowered
Board Member

I haven't had any trouble tuning LH 2.4. I appreciate retaining all the stock stuff and not having to rewire the car. If your car is more of a project/fun car than mine that might not be as much of a priority. OttoB covered the costs and benefits pretty well, I'd say.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
benflynn
bigpimpin740t@yahoo.com

Msns, 200$ does all u need, ms3x if you want to spend the $$, but 200$, use to be 145, will get it done with boost control, flat shift, table switching, cop with a vr circuit, or get the 3.0 for more but could be upgraded. Many v2.2 cars made easy good power through the years.
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #10
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Do not buy a v2.2 board. Or a MS1. It is prehistoric and ancient tech. No ignition output provisions (it was made for fuel only installs), does not support MS2 features, noise issues, no upgrade path, etc.

Even the MS2 is at the end of it's development, it's memory space has been maxed out, no further features will be added. This is not a bad thing though as incremental updates and bug fixes will still happen. And of course you can always write your own code or modify existing code and compile your own firmware, all the tools are easily availlable. You just can't sell or distribute it due to licensing restrictions.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote