home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Default Aggressive Turbo Cam

Hey guys,

On my +T 240 I can really feel the power drop off past 5000 rpm, so I want a better cam to pick up the top end. Id like to make a lot of power in the future, but Im only running about 10psi right now. What cams are out there that would increase power up top and leave a lot of room for more power in the future? I dont care about rough idle or anything like that, just want something that will make a lot of hp.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
benflynn
bigpimpin740t@yahoo.com

Auto, manual, diff ratio, rev limit, turbo....?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #3
Nickagriffin
Board Member

M47, stock rev limit, 13c, think diff is a 3.73, whatever came in the auromatics. Probably going to put a larger turbo on in the future and swap a T5 in. Also have another diff from a manual car and might swap that in
Nickagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 AM   #4
redblockpowered
Board Member

If you're just looking for something that isn't the yucky stock turbo cam, most of the other factory grinds (A/B/D/K/V cams) will work quite well. The IPD Turbo cam is also a good match for a stock-like engine. If you actually want to make power (think 300+) don't bother with factory grinds. Something from ENEM or KL Racing or one of those types of places in Sweden will do. You won't want to swap away from the 3.73 rear axle to the manual 3.31 if you're going to a T5, provided it's out of a V8 car.

No matter what cam you run the little 13C and garbage stock head casting will choke you out at high RPM.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Nickagriffin
Board Member

It doesn’t even have a stock turbo cam right now, it’s a stock NA cam lol. Thanks for the info on the diffs, I’ll keep the 3.73. I didn’t realize how expensive those cams were, so I might get the IPD turbo cam now and hunt for a 531 head to try to increase power before getting one of those more “boutique” cams.

I’ll also look at bigger turbos
Old 03-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
VB242
F*ck 12

That M47 is going to be the weak link once you get over 250hp maybe sooner

Booty Scooty
https://youtu.be/i4oAOZ8nbq4
VB242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Yeah I’m just gonna keep trying to add power till she lets go and then save up for a trans swap
Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
benflynn
bigpimpin740t@yahoo.com

I broke all the m47s in the south east, I used to keep one in the trunk, they all gone now and the one in it has a mighty crunchy 2nd gear. M90 waiting on the next hand grenande
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Elgin Cams made the cam for the B230 I am playing with. # B21-turbo

It did this with an automatic and 20#!

Cam is installed straight up. With a degree wheel.

Last edited by Dirty Rick; 03-28-2020 at 04:03 PM..
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
I broke all the m47s in the south east, I used to keep one in the trunk, they all gone now and the one in it has a mighty crunchy 2nd gear. M90 waiting on the next hand grenande

Are you going to do the 3rd gear mod? If so, I'm interested in info/pics
Old 03-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
shoestring
Board Member

You guys blowing up these M47s are making me sad, especially when you KNOW they aren't going to hold it!
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Poor M47'S....

It's easy to make more than enough power to roast a stock clutch. It's a good "fuse" anyways.

Enjoy the car for what it is and have realistic goals. These cars are vintage now and getting much more difficult to find parts for. Parts are getting more expensive, and used parts are more beat up than ever.

The yards around SoCal used to be full of turbo engines and manual 240s, but not anymore.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
benflynn
bigpimpin740t@yahoo.com

I’ll do 3rd before I install the m90, too hard to get another not to, and I will only see abuse
benflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
Theshawnestauld

I'm going to be using an ENEM V-15 cam for my +T. i don't really know much about it, other than its similar to the IPD turbo cam. i got real lucky at a local yard; decided to pop off the vc on a 240 with some decent suspension mods and there it was.
Theshawnestauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

I have a similar setup to you OP. Except I have an iPd turbo cam on NA+T, 13c at ~10lbs.

A more aggressive cam won't really help you too much. Sure, the iPd turbo cam loves 4K+ rpms, but the turbo is far too small to breathe at those RPMs. It's a system and the turbo/head/exhaust is probably the bottleneck on most setups. You'll want a better a turbo to match your upgraded cam.

The turbo comes on pretty hard but I only have a small window of usable power/torque. Could also look into an adjustable cam gear.
'95 Camry A140E, 258k
'99 Camry A140E, 262k
'00 Camry A140e, 248k
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Dirty Rick
Board Member

I posted the cam card for that Elgin cam.
You will notice " valve overlap = 0 " You won't find that in a non-turbo cam.
That cam has a butter smooth idle and a huge percentage of my tuning time was spent limiting the boost.
There is huge potential there with a better setup to turn it loose.
But then there is the reliability issue, I have a feeling any more boost or full throttle shifts will break stuff.

You should be looking at cam cards when comparing cams, not using conjecture or observations from others installs as there are too many variables.

I would also emphasize the stock turbo .48 turbine housing is too small to make good power over 4500 rpm.
Exhaust back pressure becomes an issue.
The stock exhaust manifold (ported) works well with a .60 housing and a 3" exhaust. There may be room for improvement in a header, but I prefer cast iron exhaust manifolds.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Talking a T3 turbo. I use a .48 sierra cosworth turbine housing and there is no lack of top end. It uses a 3" outlet and using the smaller turbine housing gives me some useable boost below 3k rpms. However, I agree if you want a bit more top end a 3" ultimate ATP wastegate on a .63 housing will probably give you a bit more top end.

A T3 might a be a good upgrade for the OP since they are cheap and with the higher compression of the +T you should have a bit less lag.

Another thing that helps with lag is leaving the heavy flywheel in there. The increased load on the engine from the heavy flywheel will also reduce lag.

Edit:I've been using an enem V15T for many years. That cam supports well up to 300hp. The next level cam which I am going to use is a V16T.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.

Last edited by dl242gt; 03-29-2020 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: cam comment
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #18
mikep
The MP

1. Poncy volvo cams are poncy.
2. Poncy volvo transmissions are poncy.
3. Poncy turbobricks members (especially those that drive camrys) are poncy.

Real cams are ground in swampy backwoods shops, on ancient machinery, by ancient gearheads who know better but give zero ****s.

Go big, make a pbj, launch that pig while eating that pbj, go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
I'm not sure zombie shaming is the right addition to this thread.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:49 AM   #19
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Alright so with everything you all have said in mind, I think I’m gonna look into a T3 turbo of some sort, maybe a GT35 or something. I’ll look for a 531 head and then an IPD turbo cam or an ENEM cam. I already have a 3 inch turboback exhaust side exit with a single glasspack, so it breathes pretty well out the exhaust side other than the restrictions of the turbo itself.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #20
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Don't waste your time with a 531 head.

/poncy tb member
Old 03-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #21
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

If you are considering a 531 head. I would save the money and instead spend it on getting at least a larger exhaust valve and flow work done on a 530. You will gain more benefit from that than just switching to a head with larger ports but no flow work and a small exhaust valve.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Oh, I read on another thread that 531 was better than a ported 530. With what you all have said in mind are the valves the same for 530 and 531? I’m asking because I could potentially get a cheap 530 head, do valves and port work, and then throw those valves on a 531 head once I can afford it
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #23
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Valves are the same in both heads. A 530 with flow work done and a larger exhaust valve will be better than a stock 531. I've had flow work done on a 531 and that turned out to be only a small amount better than having the work done on a 530. Sure it's a slightly better head to start with. But they are not easy to find and having the improvements done on an easily available head will give you the performance improvement you are looking for.

Even better is to go larger with both intake and exhaust valves. The stock seats can handle a 46mm intake and a 38mm exhaust. But speaking from my own experience just flowing the head even with keeping stock valves made a nice improvement. So I would have the head flowed at a minimum but an exhaust valve upgrade and flow work is the most affordable upgrade of improvement vs money spent.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #24
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Don't waste your time with a 531 head.

/poncy tb member
+1

You're just tossing money down the drain on an otherwise stock +T setup. Not to mention a lot of the 531 heads need repair from corrosion.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #25
Chilm
Double Dutch

V cam is great, I eventually have an Erland Cox regrind for sale (with lash caps), tremendous torque bottom and top.

Double Dutch - Build and goodies thread ;P

=======================================

Volvo 945 - Blue Pearl - LPT Polar 2.3 Limited Edition
B230-FK Turbo - 90+ ported - 15G Ported - Airintake
Erland Cox Regrind - Blabla Chips - 3 inch exhaust
MBC on 0.95 - Wasted Spark - Sponsored by my wife

=======================================
Chilm is offline   Reply With Quote