home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #801
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Glad you were able to get it sorted. Hopefully it stays on at the track/dyno!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #802
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Atta boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #803
Josh
Board Member

Looking good Sean, Glad you figured out how to keep a belt on there. Seriously impressive build man.

The guys at trackside motorsports on N Interstate know what they’re doing when it comes to modified Volvo’s getting a proper alignment, check them out.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #804
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Looking good Sean, Glad you figured out how to keep a belt on there. Seriously impressive build man.

The guys at trackside motorsports on N Interstate know what they’re doing when it comes to modified Volvo’s getting a proper alignment, check them out.
They did work on my F100 on the original alignment. Great guys, just really hard for me to get to and from and drop off and leave with them for a day or so. I live down in Tigard and work downtown.

I have pushed this thing to the side for now, its in one piece, has new tires on it, belt seems to be staying on at least for now. It has an oil leak from the new cooler or lines somewhere but I havent looked for it yet.

Its gonna chill there for now. Nothing going on this spring so nothing to really do with the car.

Working on a foxbody notch now, should be fun.....getting the treatment that the volvo should have but I was too afraid to cut it up. So its getting 315's, flares and everything from the maximum motorsports catalog. Keeping the 5.0 and T5 in it for now.

How is everyone doing through this crazy virus? Hope all my fellow TBers are holding up well and safe.

Sean
hackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #805
brendon_ak
Board Member

PLEASE please make a thread for the notch, sounds epic.
brendon_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #806
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Notch Fox Body is the best kind of Fox Body.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #807
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Notch Fox Body is the best kind of Fox Body.
I crushed one, and I'm not even sad about it
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #808
hackster
Board Member

Car is on the road, not done but on the road did the first AX this weekend, its gonna be good, handles very well!! Cannot wait to get some more seat time. Figured you fellas wanted an update. 18x11's and 315 square

Where we started..

Old 06-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #809
brendon_ak
Board Member

Is there a thread for it??? I assume you've seen Matt Farrah's old fox body?

You should let me "borrow" your KTM...
Old 06-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #810
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_ak View Post
Is there a thread for it??? I assume you've seen Matt Farrah's old fox body?

You should let me "borrow" your KTM...
https://www.corral.net/threads/hacks...notch.2503630/

Here ya go!!

Yeah I have seen his car. I dig his podcast and what he does for the automotive industry, he has built an incredible brand. As far as the foxbody goes....I didnt like the bolt on look of the flares and the car never really did anything but go from shop to shop getting worked on. Matt even says it himself. He had nothing but issues with it and never touched it himself.

I should probably sell the KTM to be honest. My knee is ****ed from my crash and I dont see myself getting back to hardcore trail riding ever again.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:00 PM   #811
brendon_ak
Board Member

I'd love to have a katoom to brap to my shop and home, we've got a 525exc we converted to supermoto and I've still got my 200exc, back in Alaska though. Maybe I can clean your shop floor for the next 100 years to pay off the KTM, haha.

Great thread too, reading it now!
Old 06-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #812
stevE85
Formerly 1983_242

Fox came out sick! Well done.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #813
2manyturbos

Nice job at Hoodoo this weekend. Are you hooked yet?

Last edited by 2manyturbos; 06-22-2020 at 05:43 PM..
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #814
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevE85 View Post
Fox came out sick! Well done.
Thanks its definately a work in progress =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Nice job at Hoodoo this weekend. Are you hooked yet?
I am getting there, CAM is a tough crowd with some fast drivers, I think I am starting to get the hang of it a little bit.

The tough part for me is how little actual seat time you get. And we got lots of runs at HooDoo....But to give up 2 and a half days and get less than 15 mins of seat time is tough for me and my always busy brain.

Ill probably never be great at it as I love track time more. But I have been having fun. Aside from the Car dying I think the fox is a pretty competent car as it sits. I think I need to swap the A052 onto the 11" Wheels and get more contact patch and less shoulder bulge.

But back to the scheduled programming. I have taken a break from the Volvo for some time now.

Sometimes on these things you have setbacks. After fighting with the tune for a while I kind of threw in the towel for a bit. Frustrated that it was dying when coming to a stop, throttle control is not great, still after that big ass radiator having cooling issues, and battling a power steering leak.

I managed to get the power steering line replaced and solved 95% of the leak.

I took it out for a quick car meet a few weeks ago on the hottest day we have seen so far it was about 90 degrees or so. The car got way too warm. 215 sitting at the stop light is just too warm for me.

So I started looking into the fans and shroud and found out that the fans are only rated for 650 CFM each......That means I only have 1300 CFM to cool this big turd. I found some mishimoto fans that are rated for 1650 each and still only an 11" fan but much deeper. I took some rough measurements and it looked like they would fit, but only by fractions of an inch.

Fan came in and I drilled some new holes and prayed that it would fit.

It clears by about 1/4" and has a ton more airflow. I have driven it a bit over the past weekend and it does stay much cooler now. Freeway temps are 176 to 185. Around town stop and go I have seen it to 191 or so but cools off. Not sure if this is the end all but its certainly better. Ill be curious to try it out when it gets warm again.

Now the tune. Tuning around this Nick Williams Throttle Body and BTR Cam has been a total pain. The car dies or attempts to die when coming to a stop, also throttle responce is not what it was with the GM Throttle body. I guess the best way to describe it is Jerky. Going to take another stab at it with the tuner again this week if I can.

I have to admit I am getting to that point with this car though that its pretty much done in my eyes. Might be getting close to the time for someone else to enjoy it.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #815
Texas240
Prius Owner

215º is normal operating temps for these engines. Corvettes see upwards of 230º when on the track. Not sure what everyones worry about being at the temp. These's aren't SBC that need to be under 195º
Old 07-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #816
JohnMc
PV Abuser

It's one thing if the thermostat is keeping it that toasty, it's another if not enough airflow is doing it. That's not a controlled temp, it's a problem waiting to bite you in the ass.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #817
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
It's one thing if the thermostat is keeping it that toasty, it's another if not enough airflow is doing it. That's not a controlled temp, it's a problem waiting to bite you in the ass.
But it doesn't explain everyones fear of running at stock temp for these engines. Whats the fear?
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #818
JohnMc
PV Abuser

That's a different topic, but it's some more headroom for temp buildup when you get into some boostyness.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #819
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post

I am getting there, CAM is a tough crowd with some fast drivers, I think I am starting to get the hang of it a little bit.

The tough part for me is how little actual seat time you get. And we got lots of runs at HooDoo....But to give up 2 and a half days and get less than 15 mins of seat time is tough for me and my always busy brain.

Ill probably never be great at it as I love track time more. But I have been having fun. Aside from the Car dying I think the fox is a pretty competent car as it sits. I think I need to swap the A052 onto the 11" Wheels and get more contact patch and less shoulder bulge.
Find NWAA events on MSR. They keep the number of entrants low and you will get so much seat time you will be sitting on the sidelines watching, saving your tires. BCA does the same thing occasionally. I ran with them last year at an event that was limited to 25-30 drivers. I think I made 20+ runs that day. At the BCA hosted Audi event at PIR I made 30+ runs and put the car away because the front tires were done. That event finished them off.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #820
rallydallas
Board Member

Sean, to better guide that belt, maybe add one or two idlers with flanges to help pick up any sudden slack, keep vibration and wander down?

If it is 6 rib, maybe try a Gates 36270 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...90705&jsn=2055). Here's a massive list of them http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Pu...%20Listing.pdf . Same 6-rib pulley but with ribs: Gates 36100 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...15482&jsn=2059)

HTH
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #821
hackster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
215º is normal operating temps for these engines. Corvettes see upwards of 230º when on the track. Not sure what everyones worry about being at the temp. These's aren't SBC that need to be under 195º
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
But it doesn't explain everyones fear of running at stock temp for these engines. Whats the fear?
Quote:
That's a different topic, but it's some more headroom for temp buildup when you get into some boostyness.
I agree that they dont need to run at 190. My concern is that if I cannot keep the temps in check just cruising around town there is no way I will be able to be able to keep it cool on track for a 20 minute session. Last year I saw temps up close to 230. I increased boost levels and am afraid I dont have enough cooling for sustained track days even with the 3 core radiator.

From what I have read, the reasoning for the high temps has everything to do with emissions output and nothing to do with ideal operating temps.

I am not sure Ill take the car out for another track day though so its probably not even worth me worrying about at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Find NWAA events on MSR. They keep the number of entrants low and you will get so much seat time you will be sitting on the sidelines watching, saving your tires. BCA does the same thing occasionally. I ran with them last year at an event that was limited to 25-30 drivers. I think I made 20+ runs that day. At the BCA hosted Audi event at PIR I made 30+ runs and put the car away because the front tires were done. That event finished them off.
I love the sound of that Roy. Ill look them up. I have a set of 315 rivals I need to finish off. I might throw them on for this weekend if I go. I like the 11" wheels better than the 10's so I want to swap on some fresh rubber on them. Have one set with Rivals and another with the yok's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
Sean, to better guide that belt, maybe add one or two idlers with flanges to help pick up any sudden slack, keep vibration and wander down?

If it is 6 rib, maybe try a Gates 36270 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...90705&jsn=2055). Here's a massive list of them http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Pu...%20Listing.pdf . Same 6-rib pulley but with ribs: Gates 36100 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...15482&jsn=2059)

HTH
I have never seen those smooth back with flanges before. If I have other issues with the belt coming off I will definately give those a shot. How did you find those? Are they a normal application on something?

Sean
Old 07-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #822
St3v3
Board Member

Have you tried to add some timing and give it some fuel below idle rpm to give it a stronger cushion to land on when coming to a stop?
St3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #823
cosbySweater
Board Member

Get a oem application fan. Most aftermarket fans I've used have all sucked ass regardless of what they are rated at. My 2 row c4 rad has been good ever since I got the shroud situated on it, just a hacked up 940 fan. The Fairmont had a dual pass northern radiator and 91 for taurus fan and it never got over 180-190 no matter how hard I beat on it
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...

Last edited by cosbySweater; 07-10-2020 at 01:36 PM..
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:35 PM   #824
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
Get a oem application fan. Most aftermarket fans I've used have all sucked ass regardless of what they are rated at. My 2 row c4 rad has been good ever since I got the shroud situated on it, just a hacked up 940 fan. The Fairmont had a dual pass northern radiator and it never got over 180-190 no matter how hard I beat on it
+1

Good ducting and shrouding makes a huge difference.
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #825
rallydallas
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post

HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster View Post
I have never seen those smooth back with flanges before. If I have other issues with the belt coming off I will definately give those a shot. How did you find those? Are they a normal application on something?

Sean
Yeah, just check out that list PDF (http://www.gates.com/oreilly/PDFs/Pu...%20Listing.pdf) for all the pulley specs (6-rib, flanged, width, height etc), take the part number like "Gates 36100", punch that into the Part search area at https://www.rockauto.com, then click on the number in the results "36100", and it will tell you what cars that came on.. Just order it there, they're usually not too much $$, or just search for the part on Amazon ebay etc etc haha Things to watch for are how you're going to mount it, like what size bolt, etc, if you have to make a mount.
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote