home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
bobxyz
Board Member

Stock FPR is 3bar for LH2.4, and maybe 2.5bar for LH2.2 (I don't remember when this changed).

You should find the flow rating for your injectors, add it to your config, and recalculate the req fuel. It will probably change _a lot_. It may take some tweaking to get it running again.

You also have automatic EGO correction enabled. For initial tuning, I'd disable it so that it doesn't confuse the tables/logs.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #27
Nickagriffin
Board Member

I think the flow rating for the injectors is put in correctly, but some of the TB guys on another form were saying that I should just toy around with req fuel until it read reasonable numbers. I had it running with the calculated value for a while but never got a log and checked the duty cycle spikes. I'll try it out with the req fuel calculator when I get home.

In order to disable the automatic EGO correction do I just go into the EGO control settings and select disabled? Wouldn't that not save the AFRs to the log?

Last thing, it started cutting out a little bit more randomly lately. It sometimes cuts out for a second at idle and it was also doing the same thing at like 3000 rpms when I was driving it today. It's super hard to diagnose because it's really hard to describe and I have no idea what it could be.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #28
bobxyz
Board Member

It's Friday, after a long week for me, so apologies in advance if this is rambling or incorrect.

I really don't have much experience with redblock MS tuning, so I get confused easily by non-standard setups. Hopefully someone with more experience can recognize your specific issues from your logs and settings.

I think your MS setup uses a reqfuel injector setting of ~20 lbs but you're actually using ~30 lbs injectors. If fully tuned, this would result in reduced VE's of ~33%. You also have EGO correction enabled, which will change the fueling dynamically. This adds confusion.

Your target AFR table is weird. Normally, you want stoich 14.7 at all points below boost. For lower RPM near idle, the engine may do better with richer AFRs. When boosted, richer AFRs are used to provide additional cooling to prevent knock.

Your timing table seems aggressive, but may be OK - again, I don't have enough experience.

The logged [desired] duty cycle of ~150% is bad. This means that the injectors are on all the time at 100%.

----

If it's cutting out at times other than max rpm/boost, you may have a wiring issue.

With EGO disabled, the logs still show the commanded injector PW or duty cycle, and the resulting AFR. Either enabling EGO correction, or running auto-tune will dynamically adjust the injector timing to reach the target AFR.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #29
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Here is my spark table from a 2 valve redblock.

It's not finely polished but a good start.

PM me an email address and I'll send you the export file.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #30
Nickagriffin
Board Member

So I changed a few things. I set the crank capture to falling edge and also found out that my injector size was put in wrong and changed it and the required fuel with the calculator. It's still cutting out at higher rpms but I'm going to try to get the fueling better up there and see if it could help. I'll also try that new spark table.

Edit: Oh, and I disabled EGO correction
Nickagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #31
90volvo
Board Member

Looks like we are in the same boat. I have mine closer to running right. All except high boost levels Im way to fat. Anyways, seen you change to falling edge, I just wanted to remind you to check your timing with a timing light. Be patient you will get it with everyones help on here.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #32
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickagriffin View Post
So I changed a few things. I set the crank capture to falling edge and also found out that my injector size was put in wrong and changed it and the required fuel with the calculator. It's still cutting out at higher rpms but I'm going to try to get the fueling better up there and see if it could help. I'll also try that new spark table.

Edit: Oh, and I disabled EGO correction
NOTE: When the trigger edge is changed the trigger angle offset needs to be reset to realign the spark table.

Changing the capture edge can offset the timing by as much as 20°.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #33
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post

what compression ratio and boost are you running?

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #34
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:

Did your balancer spin or are you trying to turn your pistons into molten globs of aluminum?
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #35
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Hey all, I readjusted my #1 tooth angle today after switching to falling edge. It was advanced a good bit. It also seems like it starts to retard at higher rpms but my cheap harbor freight timing light crapped out before I could mess with any more settings.

My compression ratio is whatever the +T norm is, I don't have the turbo pistons. Boost is ideally 15lbs on a 13G but still trying to get my homemade wastegate bracket to keep the boost at a consistent number.

What's so bad about that spark table?
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #36
90volvo
Board Member

I’ve working on getting mine lined out. It’s been a learn process, that’s for sure. Anyways here’s my timing table and afr table. Keep in mind I’m running e85. It’s not perfect but working on it. I think you running to much timing. Go get a good timing light and mark your balancer. You have to know where your timing is. Anyways here’s a link
I think it will help you.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Rh1Docw?s=sms
Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #37
redblockpowered
Board Member

Quote:

Race gas must work good huh
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #38
90volvo
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Race gas must work good huh
yeh but E85 is cheap race gas. LOL. I just hope it sticks around.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #39
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Pump Premium gas, 20psi boost from a 3071, (0 overlap) turbo cam by Elgin, Stock Pistons and headgasket.
It's been running for over a year like that.

E85 from the gas station is not consistent and has a lot of water in it.

I get my E85 from Thunderbolt I buy it by the drum. Double distilled water reduced to almost Zero.
https://www.thunderboltracingfuel.com/
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #40
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Making progress! Got the ignition to stop retarding at higher rpms but it made that spark table produce some pinging :( I'll back it off a few degrees under boost and see if that helps. I think my problem was wayyyy too much fuel making it flooded since this problem used to happen way more often when my tune was even more rich.

Quote:
Pump Premium gas, 20psi boost from a 3071, (0 overlap) turbo cam by Elgin, Stock Pistons and headgasket.
It's been running for over a year like that.

E85 from the gas station is not consistent and has a lot of water in it.

I get my E85 from Thunderbolt I buy it by the drum. Double distilled water reduced to almost Zero.
https://www.thunderboltracingfuel.com/
Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #41
Nickagriffin
Board Member

Here's my new spark table, the one from Dirty Rick was a good start, but gave me a lot of ping (as you guys said it would). 90volvo - thanks for sharing yours too, I used a bunch of elements of it to make this one. Going to try it out tomorrow. Overall, it's starting to feel polished again

Old 08-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #42
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickagriffin View Post
Here's my new spark table, the one from Dirty Rick was a good start, but gave me a lot of ping (as you guys said it would). 90volvo - thanks for sharing yours too, I used a bunch of elements of it to make this one. Going to try it out tomorrow. Overall, it's starting to feel polished again
If you looked just a few (~20) threads below the one you started....

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=346790
Old 08-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #43
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

on the subject of spark retarding at higher rpms, you guys are aware of the spark latency setting in there, right? you can verify that without load with a timing light.
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:22 PM   #44
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
on the subject of spark retarding at higher rpms, you guys are aware of the spark latency setting in there, right? you can verify that without load with a timing light.
But that’s not the TB way!
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #45
Nickagriffin
Board Member

I changed the hardware latency! That's what made it stop retarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
Also, I read through that old thread, spark table looks familiar