home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #126
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlksez View Post
Hereís what Iím dealing with everywhere. Itís 71 years of abuse and poorly executed bodywork.
Thatís a straightedge up against the inner rear wheelhouse.
Standard Jeep stuff haha, I spent yesterday and today undoing bad frame repairs on a Jeep so we can fix it properly.
Project is looking good!

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #127
itlksez
Board Member

I sold my beloved fat-tired dirt bike so I could get this project finished. I spent enough on parts the other day that it got my credit card locked. Updates should go straight to the finish line from here out. Finally getting this thing finished after 12(?) years!
I spent the weekend painting. 2 coats black epoxy primer, 2 coats metallic blue, 3 coats clear.

itlksez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #128
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #129
itlksez
Board Member

Itís slowly coming together. New tires and wheels are on.

I took it for an awesome test drive the other day, but only after a 7-hour fight with an intermittent start/poor running issue. It was a tough one (two?) to diagnose. I finally found a broken distributor cap after removing the plastic cover.

One of the backfires through the intake blew the cap off the check valve on the brake booster. Temp fix is a nickel and some ultra black.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #130
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Blue Jeep

Nice Color!!!
The rims remind me of the 80s when i used to be with my uncle in Puerto Rico in dirt competitions. Those were the days!!!!
Nice job!!!!
Hope is done soon so you can enjoy the hard work put into it !!!!
take care
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #131
itlksez
Board Member

Thanks brickcupra!

Iíll throw this up here in case it helps anyone in the future.
I got aftermarket VDO gauges for this thing. They sent me the wrong sending units (SAE) for the water temp and oil pressure, but I doubt the ďrightĒ ones wouldíve fit anyway. It worked out in the long run, and hereís how.

For the oil pressure, I drilled out the tip of the old sender and tapped it to 1/8Ē NPT. I threaded the new sender into the tip of the old sender, then cut the old sender off.

There was a perfect gap between the old and new for an O-ring to seal.

For the water temp...

...I removed all of the plastic from inside the old sender and basically did the same thing. I had to drill the top out as far as I could in order to fit a socket in there, and for the tip of the sender to stick out (hopefully) far enough.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #132
itlksez
Board Member

So I guess Iíll put this thread to bed. Iíve been driving this thing around, and itís an absolute hoot to drive. Hereís a dump of finished pics.

Oh, and @ZVOLV, you can suck it.
From 2015, Re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Based on questions asked, I have to display my pessimism that it will never get completed. If it does, please post back with pics.

If one asks about how to cap off wires, or crap, if a computer is needed to run EFI, that means doing a Volvo engine swap in a Jeep is most likely a pipe dream.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #133
DanMarino
Board Member

Looks like it fits nicely in there. Great project. Something I wish I had done to my YJ when I used to own it.
DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #134
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Absolutely incredible build. How nice to be ‘done’ and just drive it.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #135
matt b
Board Member

Very cool of you to share the whole build. I love the finished product. Well worth the effort, I imagine.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #136
bobxyz
Board Member

Congratulations! What a great Willys build. That metallic blue paint looks awesome

And I see that you even added the appropriate York AC setup -- does that go to a dash gauge? Completely over the top...
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #137
itlksez
Board Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
And I see that you even added the appropriate York AC setup -- does that go to a dash gauge? Completely over the top...
No gauge on this one. I just have a switch that kicks it on at 90psi and off at 120psi, and a master switch that only runs it when I want. I wanted to keep a very minimalist, stock-ish look inside the cab.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #138
2turbotoys
Astro Zombie

Very cool! Is this the first ever finished TB project?!?! I thought no project car is ever finished haha.

Awesome and thanks for sharing, inspirational.
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #139
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Blue Jeep!!!

Hey Nice job!!! Everything fits so well. Now the fun begins!!!!
You almost tripled the hp from about 48 to 114. that's a lot of pull for a tractor engine.
I recently got plates for my wagon and im just doing finishing touches before i get to put her on the road like wrapping the exhaust, ( just redid the entire system 2.5 inch after the primary cat and removed the resonator) , install the engine oil cooler, change the oil idiot lite from led to regular bulb,( it looks like the sensor doesn't like leds) install the valance to hide the intercooler piping, finish the door stripe, finish the window switches( converting them to led lighted from a Volvo 850) finish the stick shift rubber cover and some other nicks and nacks around. Im trying to get them done at least most of it by the end of September.
Ok men, thanks again for the great memories , by the way my cousins have supped up jeeps and run them in competitions. The name of one of them is " El Desconocido" , the uknown.
He is running a solid motor mount v8 with a 850 cfm carb, welded diff, special release trans torque converter kit and he is doing close to high sevens in th 1/4 mile. Ok seeya
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #140
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

Now...+t
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #141
itlksez
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
Now...+t
I know, right?
I left room for a turbo, but realistically, it would take a major rebuild of the intake manifold and air box, not to mention I donít have room for an intercooler, and the extra heat production could be an issue with this tiny radiator.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #142
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

If you could figure it out that would be just the most badass jeep...not that it isnt already but talk about turning it up to 11
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #143
itlksez
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
If you could figure it out that would be just the most badass jeep...not that it isnt already but talk about turning it up to 11
Maybe in 5-10 years if I get bored with this, Iíll be back for updates. It would be killer.

Meanwhile, I have a whiteblock 5 with welded spiders sitting here for my next project.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #144
itlksez
Board Member

Hereís a mod I did that I forgot to post.

This is using a shortened Volvo driveshaft up front, complete with the 740 carrier bearing. In 4wd, I was getting quite a bit of flop and vibration coming from the shaft. Before I had the shifter boots on, I could see that the rubber in the carrier bearing mount was the source. I thought of a plan to re-engineer the rubber. I took the old one out, and it didnít take much to rip it apart.

I pressed the bearing out and cooked all the rubber off the mount...

I carved up some cow mat to sandwich the bearing and the mount, giving the bearing a firm rubber bushing to ride in.

New vs. old

Old 09-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #145
GreatDaneShane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlksez View Post
Maybe in 5-10 years if I get bored with this, Iíll be back for updates. It would be killer.

Meanwhile, I have a whiteblock 5 with welded spiders sitting here for my next project.
We put one (b230ft) in a DJ-5 and its dangerously fast.
GreatDaneShane is offline   Reply With Quote