home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default KL Racing 16v intake on upright engine

I've been searching the internet for a photo of this intake manifold mounted on an upright 16v B230, to no avail. It could be in any car, but I'm trying to figure out if it would fit in my 142 without a brake booster in the way. Does anyone remember seeing that setup?



Also, how is ordering from KL Racing from here in the US?
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
90volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eldorado Springs Mo.
Default

Ordering is good. I bought intake for 8v and it was at my door step in ten days. I don’t think you can get a better intake for the money. I’m waiting on my 8v head to be done then gonna install it with the head. 8v and 16v intake look similar. I know mine will fit with no problems. I seen some pic of 16v, I’ll see if I can find them.
__________________
90 Volvo 240 19T-3 inch ex-Aw71-Npr-V cam-E85-Megasquirt-650cc inj.-280000 miles.

sons car- 93 240-15g turbo-chipped-95,000 miles. Slick car

Leave feedback- http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=355413
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #3
90volvo
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eldorado Springs Mo.
Default

https://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_blog/1170.jpg
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
fidel
knox motorsports
 
fidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: richmond, VA
Default

have you tried e-mailing them for measurements or pictures of test fitting etc. ??? they make the versions by the way one for slanted and one for upright..
__________________
fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

Ordering is excellent. Like stated above, I had a set of Cams from them to me in northern Canada in a week.
__________________
80 242- 2.5L 16V, NIW intake/exhaust, T5, Porsche brakes, short billies and Kaplenkhe suspension, Trutrack.
Project Thread- http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324470
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
bongo
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Default

I am trying to figure out the same thing! I have one of these manifolds and will be mocking it up in the next week or two. I can get you a quicker answer if having the 234 head sitting on top of a b20 block is dimensionally close enough? k
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I am trying to figure out the same thing! I have one of these manifolds and will be mocking it up in the next week or two. I can get you a quicker answer if having the 234 head sitting on top of a b20 block is dimensionally close enough? k
That would be great, thanks. I just heard back from KL and they told me they can't measure it "as it is not easy to select the same measuring point", and that I'd probably have to cut and weld the plenum to get it to fit. I'm not convinced that's true, so any measurements or photos you could take would be great.

It was mentioned earlier that KL makes a manifold for an upright engine, but I don't see that anywhere on the site.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
That would be great, thanks. I just heard back from KL and they told me they can't measure it "as it is not easy to select the same measuring point", and that I'd probably have to cut and weld the plenum to get it to fit. I'm not convinced that's true, so any measurements or photos you could take would be great.

It was mentioned earlier that KL makes a manifold for an upright engine, but I don't see that anywhere on the site.
this sounds about right; you decided you didn't want to make one, so now you can just buy one and then re-make it to fit
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
this sounds about right; you decided you didn't want to make one, so now you can just buy one and then re-make it to fit
The real bummer is that I DID make one, but then tried to weld it myself and completely ruined it. Now I want to figure out how to not make another one from scratch, and if that involves buying one and modifying it, I may do it.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
stick70
All the gauges
 
stick70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90volvo View Post
Ordering is good. I bought intake for 8v and it was at my door step in ten days. I donít think you can get a better intake for the money. Iím waiting on my 8v head to be done then gonna install it with the head. 8v and 16v intake look similar. I know mine will fit with no problems. I seen some pic of 16v, Iíll see if I can find them.
My 8v intake hit the hood, but I am running a flathood. I had to section the runners and angle the plenum down.

No regrets on ordering as others have said.
__________________
Kyle and the "Projects" -- '84 242 TI -- '66 220 S -- '89 Supra Turbo -- '84 Rabbit GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
My 8v intake hit the hood, but I am running a flathood. I had to section the runners and angle the plenum down.

No regrets on ordering as others have said.
I just looked at your 242 thread to see a pic of the manifold mounted. The 16v valve one has much shorter runners, and it SEEMS like it would fit in my car with an upright 16v, but maybe I'd need to change the angle of the TB.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #12
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!
 
AndrewNance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Default

Why not just get Yoshifab to make you one?
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
Why not just get Yoshifab to make you one?
I haven't talked to him about it, but I don't want the kind that he makes using the stock runners and his plenum. And I'm sure he could make me whatever I want, but I doubt I'd want to pay for his time to do it. Also, I really prefer the look of a cast intake manifold.

I still can't believe I had a manifold basically all tacked up, and now I'm back in this position.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:27 AM   #14
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!
 
AndrewNance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Default

You’re getting too good at this when you start to have preferences
AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Why not cut it back apart, flatten and polish everything out? Tack together again and have it done if you’re not comfy trying it again?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
Build it, break it, build what broke stronger, lather, rinse, repeat.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Why not cut it back apart, flatten and polish everything out? Tack together again and have it done if youíre not comfy trying it again?
I blasted more than a couple holes in some parts. The injector bungs gave me the most issues. I could cut the plenum off, make new runners/injector bungs, and try to flatten the head flange back out (it warped a lot). But that's a ton of work to be left with a manifold that was pretty compromised to fit around the brake booster. So now that I've decided to do a remote booster of some kind, I might as well design a better manifold, or buy one.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #17
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Gotcha. That sucks. I’m sure that whatever you end up with is going to be awesome in that engine bay.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Why not take the happy medium approach and have someone with all the aluminum TIG skill bridge the gap on the tricky spots once you have an optimized manifold mocked up?
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Why not take the happy medium approach and have someone with all the aluminum TIG skill bridge the gap on the tricky spots once you have an optimized manifold mocked up?
That was the plan on the manifold I made, to have Noah finish weld it. But it's always hard to find time that works, and I got too excited with my new welder. We could definitely do it again, but the thought of building another manifold from scratch right now is depressing. Plus there's SO much other stuff that needs to be done still.

Right now I'm torn between just buying the KL flange and runner section and making a plenum to suit my car, or buying the whole thing, knowing I'll probably have to modify the plenum.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

What about grabbing the upright 16v DCOE manifold from KL Racing, and then getting the upper plenum section. You would just need to make the flange from the DCOE mani to plenum, and get bungs welded to the DCOE section.

Also, Xcessive Manufacturing has some interesting fab parts as well:
https://www.xcessivemanufacturing.co...old-parts.html
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #21
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

I made my manifold two pieces with dcoe flanges. Mostly so I can play with runner length, but I could see that being awesome for what’s going on here.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #22
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
What about grabbing the upright 16v DCOE manifold from KL Racing, and then getting the upper plenum section. You would just need to make the flange from the DCOE mani to plenum, and get bungs welded to the DCOE section.

Also, Xcessive Manufacturing has some interesting fab parts as well:
https://www.xcessivemanufacturing.co...old-parts.html
I really like the DCOE idea. It still means I have to try to put bungs in something, but by then I guess I'll have more practice. And I think I'd rather weld a bung to a thick cast runner than an .065 tubing runner.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #23
cwdodson88
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
I really like the DCOE idea. It still means I have to try to put bungs in something, but by then I guess I'll have more practice. And I think I'd rather weld a bung to a thick cast runner than an .065 tubing runner.
use a 0.010" interference on the holes, heat the runners to 275F freeze the bungs and install, then weld with the lowest amperage possible. then if you like, use a die grinder to clean up the interior.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #24
Tfrasca
Board Member
 
Tfrasca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ben Lomond, CA
Default

Well I ordered the DCOE manifold, but no plenum. I figure MAYBE there's still a chance to build my own plenum off the DCOE flange and clear the brake booster.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.