• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

I spent the weekend in Michigan so no progress over the weekend, but here are a couple updates.

Carefully prepped and then sprayed the exhaust manifold and turbine housing with Stove Brite paint (charcoal). It seems to be standing up to the blistering 68F garage temps rather well.

photo_2.jpg

These were hard to find. M8 pan head barrel nuts. Straight from China for $1.xx shipped! The 530 valve cover studs are too short for the b21 valve cover, so it was either use these or put new studs in... and I'm lazy. Plus they are neat.

photo_1.jpg

photo.jpg

And, uh, more stuff painted. Also Yoshifab phenolic.

photo_3.jpg

Those nuts really top it off nicely Tom. That valve cover is sure going to raise questions lol it did for me. "Are you sure you have a b230?"

It's the same 16t I was running on the wagon. I'll run it for now, not sure what the plan is for the future.

I do know this:
a) I despise turbo lag. I will trade peak power for a good usable powerband any and every day of the week.
b) I have no desire to pop the factory bottom end, or toss spendy internals into a redblock.

It's the same 16t I was running on the wagon. I'll run it for now, not sure what the plan is for the future.

I do know this:
a) I despise turbo lag. I will trade peak power for a good usable powerband any and every day of the week.
b) I have no desire to pop the factory bottom end, or toss spendy internals into a redblock.
I agree save the money twords a t5 swap or somthing similar. Should be a awsome driver!

Very nice work! I love your attention to detail.

That flocked dash looks awesome. Was it hard to do? I am considering doing this on my 242.

Also is that DIY crinkle paint on the valve cover or did you have that done somewhere?

I agree save the money twords a t5 swap or somthing similar. Should be a awsome driver!

yep! a german six is where my head is at. but that's too far down the road to think about now.

Very nice work! I love your attention to detail.

That flocked dash looks awesome. Was it hard to do? I am considering doing this on my 242.

Also is that DIY crinkle paint on the valve cover or did you have that done somewhere?

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that!

The flocking wasn't too difficult. You just need to have everything set out and be ready to move quickly once the adhesive is on.

The valve cover has VHT wrinkle paint on it. Really happy with the results I got after having experimented a couple times with that paint.

yep! a german six is where my head is at. but that's too far down the road to think about now.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that!

The flocking wasn't too difficult. You just need to have everything set out and be ready to move quickly once the adhesive is on.

The valve cover has VHT wrinkle paint on it. Really happy with the results I got after having experimented a couple times with that paint.
VHT? Wow that looks amazing. I thought for sure you had it done professionally. I need to get me some of that stuff and try it out.

Great project and great progress! The attention to detail is excellent! I really like the flocked dash.

I do know this:
If you do end up getting tired of the 16t, seriously, Evo 16g. I ran an Evo 3 16g on my +T and it was great, BUT if I were to do it all over again I would definitely buy a used Evo 9 16g. It has potential for 400whp, but spools up seriously fast. It is twin scroll which is great, but it is reverse scroll and a Mitsubishi flange, so a custom exhaust manifold would have to be used. If you are keeping the stock Volvo manifold and want quick spoolup, seriously just stick with some Volvo version of the TD04H.

I've been extremely happy with my cosworth exhaust housing and t04e compressor combo. Full boost(20psi)by 3k~ from a stop and highway boost is almost instantaneous. :twocents:

I love reading your updates on this build, and loved reading your other build thread. One of my favorites on TB's.

soo um anu progress? i really cant wait for that stage when your ready to start test fitting wheels. im excited to see how the rc's look along with those bmw csl's they were sex on the wagon. Love seeing the updates!

Great project and great progress! The attention to detail is excellent! I really like the flocked dash.

If you do end up getting tired of the 16t, seriously, Evo 16g. I ran an Evo 3 16g on my +T and it was great, BUT if I were to do it all over again I would definitely buy a used Evo 9 16g. It has potential for 400whp, but spools up seriously fast. It is twin scroll which is great, but it is reverse scroll and a Mitsubishi flange, so a custom exhaust manifold would have to be used. If you are keeping the stock Volvo manifold and want quick spoolup, seriously just stick with some Volvo version of the TD04H.

Thanks! That last sentence is the plan I'm going to stick with for the redblock.

I love reading your updates on this build, and loved reading your other build thread. One of my favorites on TB's.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Hearing stuff like that really helps my motivation to work on it.

soo um anu progress? i really cant wait for that stage when your ready to start test fitting wheels. im excited to see how the rc's look along with those bmw csl's they were sex on the wagon. Love seeing the updates!

Progress is happening, but no cool pictures to share. Wheels won't be going on until I get the fancy boy brakes in, which will be a little while($$$). The focus right now is on getting the trans swap stuff figured out so the engine and trans can go in.

I tried ordering the saab 9000 aero 240mm pressure plate from two different stores and both orders ended up being denied... not sure where I can find one. The whole process of figuring out a suitable clutch and PP has been a struggle for me. I would love to hear suggestions! I want to run a full-faced disc and I am using the flat flywheel.

I test-fitted an e36 m3 pressure plate, but the bolt pattern is just barely too large to fit the flywheel. I also considered the 850r pressure plate, but found out that won't fit in the bellhousing. If anyone has any suggestions... I could really use the help! I am really unfamiliar with this aspect of things.

Oh, I also refinished the wiper motor and installed that... :lol:

I have some other things on order from Tasca and FCP to button up some things on the engine I want done before it goes back in--primarily related to the lh2.4 conversion.

Back