• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

s10 shocks bushing question

oemoilleaks

I have been chasing a clunk in my rear suspension for over a year now.

I think I've narrowed it down to the s10 shocks I have in the rear (Bilstein 24-014120).
I remember that I had to use smaller hardware and grind down the metal eyelet a bit when I installed them and I think the clunk is coming from the smaller hardware.

My plan was to see if I could put in some proper 140 poly bushings into the shocks and use the correct hardware. I know the eye on the s10 shocks is 12.9mm.

Does anyone know the OD and ID of the 140 lower bushing?

slide a feeler gauge in there to tighten up the play.

There's no lateral play. It's all vertical. I just took the rear shocks out, and put a piece of electrical tape on the through bolts to see if that'll help snug some things up.

in case anyone was wondering... the ID and OD of the lower mounting point on the s10 bilsteins are 32.9mm OD / 12.9mm ID

The point that RWC is trying to make is that the shocks are valved for much higher rate springs which is putting stress on the rest of the components. Matching shock valving to the spring rate is important.

Do you have the updated lower shock mounts? The original setup was just a bolt through the trailing arm and they commonly come loose. The updated part is a stud that bolts to the trailing arm. It should be noted that pin for the shock is larger with the updated mount.

140ShockStud.jpg

Strange I was under the impression that 140-240 ear springs were in the ~100# range?

Is there a question here? The S10 bilsteins work OK with stiffer spring, just a bit stiff.

If somebody is lowering a car--for whatever sadly misguided reason, then unless they are a Mow-rawn they better be thinking of stiffer springs..and with stiffer springs , unless you're a moe-raun, you better rhave dampers to match..My memory says that they a little soft on compression damping and "OL" on rebound --for a stiffer /shorter spring..

Mounting differences aside it ain't a bad deal at better junkyards everywhere.

(Probably help if anybody ever learned to measure bolts and post them up are the bolts 12mm or 1/2"?

Is there a question here? The S10 bilsteins work OK with stiffer spring, just a bit stiff.

If somebody is lowering a car--for whatever sadly misguided reason, then unless they are a Mow-rawn they better be thinking of stiffer springs..and with stiffer springs , unless you're a moe-raun, you better rhave dampers to match..My memory says that they a little soft on compression damping and "OL" on rebound --for a stiffer /shorter spring..

Mounting differences aside it ain't a bad deal at better junkyards everywhere.

(Probably help if anybody ever learned to measure bolts and post them up are the bolts 12mm or 1/2"?

Yes there is a question here.

Is an order and magnitude of 5x to 7x+"just a bit stiff?"

The spring locations are also different, so the motion ratio changes drastically, and it's not a linear relationship.

The S10 uses in inboard spring with a high rate, but due to the springs position the wheel rate is ~200lbs/in (complete guess). The 140 is probably 150lb/in wheel rate (assuming it's close to a 240).

The shock locations are similar in motion ratio, so it's not a bad match.

I don't get your question..What is 5X? what is 7X? what is "an order and magnitude of 5x to 7x"?

I'm referring to the damping force generated by the shim stack on the top and bottom of the working piston......the valving of the S10 Bilstein is few % of the same on compression damping---very slight difference and about 10-11% stiffer on rebound damping..

I'm not sure you understand valving---and damping force. (how many newtons force when opened and closed at 0,52 m/s is standard Bilstein test, and the N number is expressed in a 1/10 notation..like "350/130" first number is rebound, second is compression Bilsteins 240 damper is whatever--I cannot currently recall (because i don't care and I like to move the shock to the axle)---and the S-10 is within around 10-12% of that both way.)

Interchanging or swapping shocks is no big deal if you have the numbers.
It is folly without...

Back