• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cheapest way to upgrade speed?

well fuking explain it then .....

it's asinine to suggest someone should put taller tires on in an effort to "upgrade speed". a 240 has a top speed somewhere around 110mph, and it takes forever to reach it. why would anyone want to make it take even longer to get to that speed (or anything higher than it)? it doesn't make any sense. shorter tires for faster acceleration in all gears...

also, better mileage at near triple digit speeds?? nggaplz

Why the hell did people blow up at Mueller all of a sudden? Idiots. Stop making me be ashamed to be on TB, it pisses me off.

speedn_j, tire size has nothing to do with top speed in an NA Volvo, unless you swap out the rear end for something much numerically higher, like a 4.10 with short tires or something. Otherwise, you may get a higher top speed from having SHORTER tires due to the more aggressive gearing. Having lower rpm at a given speed does not make a car have a higher top speed, unless you can reach redline in your top gear already. If you can reach redline in top gear, then you may gain a little top speed by fitting taller diameter tires. If you can't reach redline in top gear, fitting taller tires is only going to make your car slower.

i did all my suggestions on my own car. i'm please by teh results. it has nothing to do with acceleration or racing, or even trying to winding out top speeds. its about keeping the speeds that you wanna travel within engines power band. the engine looses torque as it spins faster

So you're not talking about top speed then. Just shush then, or at least explain yourself MUCH better. You're trying to say that your engine is at a more reasonable speed while cruising at 100mph. If that's not what you're trying to say, then, whatever, I don't care. I'll just ignore this thread again like I was doing originally.

Allow me to regurgitate what's already been said...lol.

Your car is *CHERRY*, and it's an N/A.

N/A cars take a TON of money to make "fast", and even then, a Turbo car will ALWAYS be faster for WAY LESS MONEY!

Soooo...I think most people would agree that if you want a "quick brick," it would actually be cheaper in the end to buy a Turbo to modify (or buy a beater 240 and a B230FT to throw in it), and keep your gorgeous 240 as a daily driver/spare car when you're tuning the other one.

You'd spend more money trying to make an N/A run 14's, meanwhile for the same cash the Turbo is knocking on 12's. :)

Grow up or go away.
Mueller knows more about cars and just plain making stuff than you ever will.
That's why he thinks an S70 has more potential than a 242, right?

Hey Fiend I think you might be wrong, there might be somebody here that will.. ;-)

No he is not kidding - you can do the swap in the peoples republic but you have to swap every last little thing (right down to the check engine light.) It will not be cheap even with a donor car, it can be done but to keep it legal here will take a lot of work and money. Makes a V8 swap look good.

You're kidding, right? Even in the people's republic of CA, if your car has a newer motor swapped in with all of the emissions stuff present, you can get it to pass. In RWD volvo land this is not difficult or necessarily expensive. Turbocharging a 240 won't magically be the end of the world as you know it for passing a tailpipe test everywhere else where they don't have the PITA visual inspection. There are piles upon piles of 240s and 740s that came turbocharged, not like it can't be done with basic parts.
I wouldn't do it to that particular car, however and believe smog to be an insignificant worry. Even if I did a super clean install with a fresh turbo and the works, it would be foolish to have more power in a car I couldn't beat on or that I had significantly de-valued by making it not stock. Way easier and cheaper to buy a decent 240T and make it fast and not cry when you break it.

Taller tires will reduce the rate of acceleration and make the car FEEL slower. Isn't that the complete opposite of the desired result?

desired result was cheap bolt-on stuff that will enhance the cars speed

Hey guys,

what is the easiest and safest way to improve the speed in my 1992 240 volvo. I [B]dont want to butcher it [/B]because it only has 27,000 original miles on it.

Thanks guys:-D

I think you need to come to grips with reality and finally realize that there are no easy AND cheap performance upgrades for the motor or suspension (besides cutting your springs which is free, but does not make a lot of sense if everything else is bone stock and it's more for looks)...to make matters worse, for engine upgrades, you need to keep your car smog legal...a turbo can be added that'll be smog legal, but not cheap or easy.

Your Volvo is not a Honda, the sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be :) :omg:

A FWD Volvo is more expensive to upgrade than a RWD volvo. I could add 50-75 rwhp for $300-$500 (+t) Can you do that? Not as far as I have seen. There are some cheap and easy mods to do for a 240 (knife JY airbox, Remove one muffler and replace with scrap pipe, etc.) I don't know you, so nothing personal.

Grow up or go away.
Mueller knows more about cars and just plain making stuff than you ever will.

the vs troops are on the way! Should I sound the horn of understeer?

speedin_j said:
who the fuk is plow and what the fuk are you talking about?

The plow knows your IP address.
allnighte.gif

desired result was cheap bolt-on stuff that will enhance the cars speed
Bigger tires don't enhance any sort of speed related thing on an NA 240.

And you kids who are starting to stir ish, fukking stop already, what the hell?! Some of you have lost some major respect. And it's not anyone from Volvospeed. Even if their statements may not be fully correct. Opinions are opinions anyway.

A +T for me is not a $200-500 option. TB'ers be damned. A +T that'll meet my needs and wants would be closer to $500-1000. And this is off topic.

:roll: :grrr:

BAnd you kids who are starting to stir ish, fukking stop already, what the hell?! Some of you have lost some major respect. And it's not anyone from Volvospeed. Even if their statements may not be fully correct. Opinions are opinions anyway.

k grandpa. We'll go sit in the corner now. :nancy:

edit: Jesus, this is performance? Bad Poik, bad!

Wash the iodine out....

Wait, we're talking cars here?

Are you a cop?

"Shamelessly making meth jokes since 1893"

That's why he thinks an S70 has more potential than a 242, right?

ummm...did you miss the 242 in my sig that I am building??? :wtf: I know this site favors the RWD cars.....

Hey Fiend I think you might be wrong, there might be somebody here that will.. ;-)

Yeliwmots,

see above comment, you guys sure like to piss on the FWD people don't you??

Please point me to any thread where I have touted my S70 as being better than a RWD Volvo??

Little do you know that I owned a lowered '88 745 Turbo with full IPD suspension, 16x8s on all four corners and a modifed motor.........

Originally Posted by 945ti
You're kidding, right? Even in the people's republic of CA, if your car has a newer motor swapped in with all of the emissions stuff present, you can get it to pass. In RWD volvo land this is not difficult or necessarily expensive.

Did you miss his "Cheap" comment in the thread title?? He is hoping there is a quick, easy and inexpensive mod to get more HP, to him, even if he found a $200 dollar B23FT engine, the swap is not cheap or easy ......you too must not have seen my sig...I am putting a newer motor into an older 242 which I will have to get smogged, so yes, I know all about the CA rules....

Did you miss his "Cheap" comment in the thread title?? He is hoping there is a quick, easy and inexpensive mod to get more HP, to him, even if he found a $200 dollar B23FT engine, the swap is not cheap or easy ......you too must not have seen my sig...I am putting a newer motor into an older 242 which I will have to get smogged, so yes, I know all about the CA rules....

I didn't mean to bash you, but I didn't want him getting the idea that emissions is a big deal to turbo a late model 240 either. I'll try to put this politely because I'm in a decent mood. A 1992 240 is LH2.4 EFI (or 3.1 which can be converted to 2.4 easily). Putting an EFI SOHC redblock turbo motor in there running LH2.4 is virtually all seamless plug and play, being it starts as an LH2.4 EFI SOHC redblock car.. If you are aware of that, great, but I was merely pointing out that with that in mind, your argument about smog is kind of irrelevant. That, and he doesn't live in CA IIRC.

The other part of my two-fold point is that it would be economically more sensible and probably more enjoyable to simply buy a decent turbo car. The logic being it was likely more important to think about this than smog.

Again, none of that is aimed at you personally, it is just basic basic information that I felt should be corrected with a bit of my opinion attached which might have been heard over the message.

Back