• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

front right suspension clunk

mikeeeeeee

as title states, it clunks and doesnt feel right. i tightened everything down again, nothing was obviously loose. this is of course the same corner i replaced the strut on a while ago (but not many miles on it yet). is there something in assembly i might have buggered?

If i push on that corner, it sort of clunks and feels/sounds like something is sticking but the movement isnt significantly obstructed as far as i can tell.

What kind of car?

On my 242 When I replaced the struts I had a problem with a "shoulder" on the top of the strut. I had to put a washer in between the nut and strut perch. It was like no matter how much I tightened the nut it would hit this shoulder before clamping onto the strut perch. I was getting the same clunk when going over uneven roads. Hope this helps.

edit:And to mention it they where KYBs as well

What kind of car?

On my 242 When I replaced the struts I had a problem with a "shoulder" on the top of the strut. I had to put a washer in between the nut and strut perch. It was like no matter how much I tightened the nut it would hit this shoulder before clamping onto the strut perch. I was getting the same clunk when going over uneven roads. Hope this helps.

edit:And to mention it they where KYBs as well

are you supposed to use the spacer for those?\

spruill it sounds like you and i have/had the same problem, ill try putting in a spacer or washer of some sort and see if that does it. im hoping i wont have to pull the whole unit again.:-(

I had a clunk in my struts (1993 940T) after I replaced the front struts with Bilsteins HD and new aftermarket upper strut mounts (URO Parts) from IPD. Turned out the aftermarket bearing is crap, and doesnt sit exactly like the original Volvo bearing, causing the spring to bind. This only happens when the wheels are turned. Maybe not the same kind of issue.

I chased a clunk on my 240 front end, ended up replacing everything that moved, the last items to go on were the billies, it tuned out the gland nut that holds the shock in the strut tube was loose:grrr: quite common apparently.

Back