• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT Rods

My understanding is they work with stock pistons and are the same h beam rods that other vendors around here sell. I've read to make sure they all weigh the same and that that can be a discrepancy. But alas, didn't order mine from there and don't know for a fact.

Hey guys. Im building a squirter turbo redblock and am looking for some beefier rods.

I found these

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151294847341?nav=SEARCH

And was wondering if anybody knew anything about these rods, my goal is around 400hp, theyre a bit cheeper than others around here

Thanks

I'd look for something with the big end width set for "full width" so the rod is not "piston guided"...do that makes getting the rod flaot easier..
Most if not all aftermarket forged pistons have a wider distance between the pin bosses and often the sides of the pin bosses are not straight..
The way Volvo dioes the rod guiding means the gap between the pin bosses must be spot on at rod width + approx .008-.010.

That is a pointless pain in the ace.

These rods have a lot of real improvements over those you linked to and are a good price and good quaility...I know because I've sold over 240 of them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-VO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2118d2ab&vxp=mtr

Hope the link works.. Details:
VOLVO B230 Engine

Specifications:
Rod Length: 6.299" (160 mm )
B/E Bore: 52mm
S/E Bore: 23.566mm-------------this is Chevy .927" huge choice of pins
B/E W: 29.75mm----------------full width crank steered
S/E W: 24.8mm
Rod Bolt: 7/16"-------------------bigger and stronger than any others...
This Auction is for Rod x 4 pcs

Note:
Forged Aircraft 4340 Steel, Highest Level of Strength
High Performance, Supports 600 HP

These will require custom pistons, but it also means the motor will be much crisper and snappier response...hundreds of grams less reciprocating weight per cylinder means not just better response but less vibrations, less stress on rod and main bearings, and the length means less side thrust--bores last longer..

Are you saying that i should go with longer rods, and a shorter pison john the agitator? Im kinda confused

Only if you want to reduce reciprocating weight by 350-400g per hole...:oogle:

And if the difference in price is negligible, why wouldn't you want to shed nearly a pound of reciprocating weight?

-150g is noticeable.... getting rid of 350-400g/per cylinder is nice.

Ok. So if i were to use 160mm rods what are the piston specs im looking at? Comp height and everything. And anywhere i could get these pistons?

Ok. So if i were to use 160mm rods what are the piston specs im looking at? Comp height and everything. And anywhere i could get these pistons?

In a B230, comp hgt stock is 39,7mm so 8mm shorter or 31,7mm

You can PM me at worst case, or callme. I am a CP Pistons dealer, sold hundreds and hundreds of Volvo, and scores of Ford, Nissan, Misterbitchy and even lowly Sub-a-rat pistons..Sent pistons all over the world.. 2 sets in ex-factory Group A cars: one car in Australia and 1 car in Portugal
All orders are custom after discussion on goals, use, boost etc.

OP I have those rods in one of mine.

Edit: The exact ones in the link. They're re branded in ink!
If you look at other Chinese rod designs, you'll see that there are two or three distinct designs. I don't remember what these ones are but the rods I got were a drop in and needed no re sizing or what not.

I used stock cast pistons so they are piston steered just like stock.
I bought them because they're cheaper then reconditioned 13mm Volvo rods, lighter and a lot stiffer
Hong kong rods will handle 400hp with headroom.

Last edited:
Back