• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

clutch slipping on decel

mikeeeeeee

as the title states, my [new] clutch slips on decel. ive only driven it about 10-15 miles on the new clutch. it holds fine going forward, but when i let off, the revs fall down around idle. if i give it gas again, the revs climb to where they should be and then the clutch grabs again. at one point it stopped doing this, but now it does it again.

That problem has nothing to do with your clutch. Unless you mean the clutch in your overdrive. Because that's what is wrong with your car. The overdrive is bad. When it died in my friends car that is the same symptom he had. It was like a neutral drop whenever you took your foot off the gas and coasted. Then when you gave the car gas it would reengage like letting the clutch out with your foot.

At least that's what it seems like you described.

That problem has nothing to do with your clutch. Unless you mean the clutch in your overdrive. Because that's what is wrong with your car. The overdrive is bad. When it died in my friends car that is the same symptom he had. It was like a neutral drop whenever you took your foot off the gas and coasted. Then when you gave the car gas it would reengage like letting the clutch out with your foot.

would also explain why he thought he had to replace the clutch

bummer

That's what came to mind here too.

if you need an overdrive unit, i have an almost new one that rode on the back of one of my m46's, the overdrive still has the remanufacture decal on it.

if you need an overdrive unit, i have an almost new one that rode on the back of one of my m46's, the overdrive still has the remanufacture decal on it.

i may need one, but i might forgo getting one right now. i need to rewire the one thats in there first as the button isnt anywhere to be found.

and i did indeed need a new clutch. the car needed a new clutch wwaaayyy before i changed it.

another question: is it possible to just lock up the OD unit? at least until i get other more important stuff out of the way.

If you don't replace the OD soon, eventually the clutch will slip so bad that you won't be able to get the car to move from a stop. It happened to my dad in his 87 740.

Same thing happened to me on one of my M46s, the overdrive would do that if I clicked it on. It would happen more if the fluid was warmed up, it would stay in 5th most of the time if I had just started driving the car but after about 5 minutes if I let off the revs would drop.
If you don't replace the OD soon, eventually the clutch will slip so bad that you won't be able to get the car to move from a stop. It happened to my dad in his 87 740.
Wat.

Back