• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another T6 build (it's the new 16v +T, right?)

Silver

No crust.
Apparently all the cool kids are building these engines now.
There's enough information on this site that I should be able to make it happen. At any rate, I'm ready to upgrade:

WP_000186.jpg

The plan is to copy some of what everyone else has done on their builds.
I know these builds aren't cheap and I'm a student so this one will take a while.

Here's half of the engine. Ran great when pulled (tranny did what S80 trannys do).
WP_000189.jpg

I'm shooting to break 300 hp at the wheels. Figuring on a 25% drivetrain loss (AW30-40) that puts me over 400 hp at the crank. I'd like to call it 450 to be safe.

Current plans are to spec this block to see if it needs to be honed. I'll move forward from there. From what I can tell, the general consensus is that the liners are too thin to go over by more than .007 (and even that might be pushing it). I might look for a 2.5 block if things are too far out of round.

I'm sure I'll have questions as things progress. Helpful comments and insights are welcome :)

(Mods: I figured this thread would be mostly me asking questions so I put it in Performance rather than Projects. Feel free to move it.)

Last edited:
Does anyone have easy access to Vadis or some source that would have block bore tolerance specs? I'll have the machine shop measure when they hot tank it but I'd like to know if I'm close before I bother taking it in.

if youre going to run a 5 cylinder block, go with a 2.3

2.5 have very thin walls that like to crack a lot. after all they just took a 2.3 with thin walls and bored it out to make them even thinner

Thanks guys!

Nathan, I'm sure I'll have more than a few questions for you along the way. :)

if youre going to run a 5 cylinder block, go with a 2.3

2.5 have very thin walls that like to crack a lot. after all they just took a 2.3 with thin walls and bored it out to make them even thinner

I was referring to a 2.5l 6-cyl block. ;-)

However, after some research, it looks like the B6254 (euro 960 block) and the B6284 (the 99-02 T6 block) both have a bore of 81mm. The displacement difference seems to be from a difference in stroke (80mm on the 2.5 vs 90mm on the 2.8).

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, while somewhat irrelevant to me at this stage, the B6304S has an 83mm bore and a 90.3mm stroke. My source for B6284 stroke doesn't include a 10ths digit of precision on the bore and has it listed as 90mm. Does anyone know if it's actually 90.3mm like the B6304?

No idea but I like where this is going. Dreams of M90 in the future?
We'll see. For now I'm hoping the AW30-40 will hold out for while. If/when I break that, I'll swap in a manual. Honestly though, for the money I'm more likely machine an adapter and run an R154, or an FS5R30A.

Is this going in the v90 or back in the s80?
The plan is to put it in the V90.

That S80 has a bad trans and is being repurposed as an artificial reef (or soup cans and bar stock).

The 30-40 should hold lots of power, and from what I read, you would get bored of it before it explodes. At least you can take a page from Poi's build and do paddle shifters...

Those whitebolck are the spiritual opposite of redblocks...
Redblocks are sturdy simple and anybody can do whatever they want with them...

Whiteblock you can't even take the cam cover off without hundreds of dollars of tools..
Usch d?.

All the cool kids I know make Redblocks go...

The plan is to put it in the V90.

Sweet!!! If I didn't have smog issues I keep thinking hard about a 965 with a t6 and single turbo xc60 turbo manifold. Would be alot of fun.

Whiteblock you can't even take the cam cover off without hundreds of dollars of tools..
Usch d?.

Ya, that 3/8" rachet and 10mm socket is ****ing expensive. Jesus christ how do we afford this ****? I will admit it is a crap ton of bolts though.

Last edited:
Wikipedia and turbobricks said the same:

"the old B6254 also had an 81mm bore (with 80mm stroke) rather than the 83mm bore/ 90mm stroke of the B6304."

Thanks guys!

Nathan, I'm sure I'll have more than a few questions for you along the way. :)

I was referring to a 2.5l 6-cyl block. ;-)

However, after some research, it looks like the B6254 (euro 960 block) and the B6284 (the 99-02 T6 block) both have a bore of 81mm. The displacement difference seems to be from a difference in stroke (80mm on the 2.5 vs 90mm on the 2.8).

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, while somewhat irrelevant to me at this stage, the B6304S has an 83mm bore and a 90.3mm stroke. My source for B6284 stroke doesn't include a 10ths digit of precision on the bore and has it listed as 90mm. Does anyone know if it's actually 90.3mm like the B6304?

Back