ADam

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #127
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
Every car has flaws. Get over it. Show me any car at any build level/cost/quality and I can show you a flaw. Nicer cars have less or smaller flaws.

It's a lot like driving. The fastest is not the person who runs the perfect lap, but the person that makes the least mistakes.
Yeah I'll remind you that next time you're giving me a ration of **** ;)
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #128
Mueller
Board Member

I am so going to attempt to "borrow" some of your ideas!

Great work!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #129
Johann
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
The Megatron JR
Hm.. I was asking myself why the potential meters but they are connectors..

As always, nice work.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #130
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Definitely looks bad ass!
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #131
))<>((
Addicted242boost

Where did you order the rivets from?

Thanks
))<>(( is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #132
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ))<>(( View Post
Where did you order the rivets from?

Thanks
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/981729
Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #133
Dan
TQ>HP

Many hours in the car, Kept tabs on how much you've spent in parts/materials? It is awesome and reflects great fab skills and brainpower

“Expertise in one field does not carry over into other fields. But experts often think so. The narrower their field of knowledge the more likely they are to think so.” – Robert A. Heinlein
“We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – Ronald Reagan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #134
240_tom
Board Member

your attention to detail is spot on... what a thing of beauty!
240_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:36 AM   #135
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Thanks for the kind words dudes, really means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Many hours in the car, Kept tabs on how much you've spent in parts/materials? It is awesome and reflects great fab skills and brainpower
I haven't kept track, but apart from the cost of the car I would estimate something like $5k in parts as of how it sits today.

Made some more progress on the car. Karl and I finished the entire exhaust, feels really good to have that checked off the list. The 2" tubes off the exhaust manifolds merge into a 3" system that goes all the way back. 3" high flow metallic catalytic converter, 18" long cherry bomb style resonator, and a huge straight through muffler under the trunk floor. I'm a little concerned that it will be too loud, but we'll see.

Also finished a bunch of fiddly bits under the hood. The fuel system is now 100% complete and ready to be leak tested. I got a smoking deal on a really nice Stäubli AN-4 dry break quick disconnect so I mounted that to the clutch feed hose. I should probably never have to bleed the clutch again with this, regardless of how many times the engine gets removed.

Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #136
Homer
OEMplus++

That under tunnel shot...
Need something TIG welded? Give me a shout.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 AM   #137
sim
Mere Drab Mob

Quote:
I got a smoking deal on a really nice Stäubli AN-4 dry break quick disconnect so I mounted that to the clutch feed hose. I should probably never have to bleed the clutch again with this, regardless of how many times the engine gets removed.
Now that is luxury!

The car looks great.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #138
mopar318
Board Member

Quote:
The Megatron JR and bussmann fuse/relay panel are now mounted to a sheet of carbon fiber that will live behind the passenger side kick panel. I was going to make it from aluminum but I had the carbon sheet handy and it was almost the perfect size. Now there's just a massive bundle of wires left to make and the car will be ready to make some noise.

I went with a Bussmann 15303-5 (Bus bar on fused side) to power up my ECU and the 15310 for the rest of the accessories. I was really surprised how cheap the bussmann stuff is, and how good of quality.

Let us know how much of the factory glob of wires you are able to reduce. There seems to be an excess of large gauge wire due to the absence of relays..

1989 244 b230ft with pLAID recaros
1980 242 16 valve turbo
2007 V70R
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #139
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

I estimate that I've added 3-4x more engine related wiring than was there before with no reduction in chassis wiring.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #140
mopar318
Board Member

Are you leaving the chassis harness alone? That was my initial plan but there is some mouse damage. Not sure if I should fix that or just convert to the blade fuse box.
mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #141
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar318 View Post
Are you leaving the chassis harness alone? That was my initial plan but there is some mouse damage. Not sure if I should fix that or just convert to the blade fuse box.
The only part of the chassis harness I am touching is the stuff for reverse lights. Those wires now go through the bulkhead connector on the firewall instead of through the shifter hole.

Ran into a SNAFU with the clutch. The clutch effort required is absolutely herculean, over 100lbf at the pedal. This is obviously a no-go so I bought a 5/8" wilwood master cylinder to replace the 3/4" 740 master. Most of the pedal travel right now is consumed just taking up clearance between the slave and clutch fingers. Going to drop the trans tomorrow and space the slave out farther to reduce clearance. This should alleviate the problem a bit.

Got the wiring almost done last night, just a few small things left to finish up and the megasquirt will be completely wired up.This is the "main" harness from the firewall to the ECU. The small connector goes to the instrument cluster.

This is actually a jam nut receptacle but I machined off the flange to make it more of an in-line style connector:

Karl gave me a hand spot tying the harness together. It's a bit more time consuming than using zip ties but it came out looking super awesome.

The cam and crank sensor harness got the same treatment:

Here is the bussmann all wired up with the megasquirt. The power resistor is for the idle air motor.

Overall extremely pleased with how the wiring came out. Still need to do all the internal connections inside the brain box, and a couple of small mods to the mainboard. The engine should be ready to fire up sometime in the coming week.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #142
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

The big question is: did Karl use marline hitching, clove hitches and reef (square) knots, or surgeon's knots?
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #143
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

They're clove hitches and square knots. The funny (or tragic?) part is I just had to look up those knots on google to figure out which ones I used. I just did it the way I was taught.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #144
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Sweet. Clove hitches are also quite useful for lashing logs together to make sundry items. Teepees, latrines, rafts, tables, what have you. As an Eagle Scout I can't un-learn that stuff.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #145
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Clove hitches are also quite useful for lashing logs together to make sundry items. Teepees, latrines, rafts, tables, what have you. As an Eagle Scout I can't un-learn that stuff.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #146
Homer
OEMplus++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Sweet. Clove hitches are also quite useful for lashing logs together to make sundry items. Teepees, latrines, rafts, tables, what have you. As an Eagle Scout I can't un-learn that stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #147
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Spent most of the day today doing all the internal wiring and MODZ on the Megatron Jr. Save for a couple of minor items, it's done.

The basic setup is a salvaged MS2 on a salvaged V3 main board, VR primary trigger, wasted spark, e-fan, tacho out, three-wire idle control, and an analog input for logging oil pressure. I've provisioned the box (but haven't wired out) to do flex fuel sensing, boost control, launch control, CAN, barometric correction (or some other analog input), and AC idle-up. That basically maxes out the available input and output channels on this box.

I know Alex made some really good progress today on the car itself, but I'll let him cover that. Suffice it to say, this thing should be running and driving pretty soon.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #148
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

I was going to say you'll get to enjoy it before the season ends then realized you're not in Mass anymore. 12 month driving season must be nice!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:06 AM   #149
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I was going to say you'll get to enjoy it before the season ends then realized you're not in Mass anymore. 12 month driving season must be nice!
It really is nice. Never worrying about freezing my ass off in the shop or having cold fingers is even better.

Made some solid progress on the car. Ripped out all the factory overdrive wiring since I don't need it anymore, also re-routed the reverse light wires inside the car. Pulled and re-installed the transmission on sunday. When it was out I shimmed the release bearing a little more so there is now somewhere between .5 and 1mm of air-gap to the clutch fingers.

Got the new clutch master cylinder installed and bled in, the clutch is now stiff but not unbearable, I'm really happy with how it came out and should be pretty easy to drive.

Took the stock upper part of the original shifter and welded it to the W58 shifter so I can run the stock handle, knob, and boot. It looks factory and the throws are pretty decent. Also installed a genuine volvo foam insert around the shifter opening to cut down on noise.

Tonight I machined a replacement spring seat for the hood latch. I didn't realize the factory one was made from some kind of pot metal when I dropped it off at the plating shop. The entire part dissolved in the plating bath so I machined replacements for myself and duder out of 15-5PH stainless.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #150
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Engine noises, finally: