• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

:zeeall:

If you get time on your way home, I'd love to check out your work. And give you a proper Denver welcome.

:cheers:

I'd be more than happy to show it to you, but we are planning on taking I-90 all the way back to Wisconsin, so we won't be passing through Denver this time. :-(

The iPd Garage Sale was a great time, and the RSI BBQ the night before was an absolute blast. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to meet and hang out with a bunch of great people--it was definitely worth the trip bringing the 242 out here.

We drove up to Seattle this morning to do some random exploring and cut a bit of time off of our trip home. Tomorrow morning we are going to head home on I-90, but this time we will see if we can do it in two 15 hour days.

Okay, I'll stop rambling--here are a couple random pictures.

Getting it cleaned up before the show:

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4650.png

IMG_4659.png

Here's some universal trim I used temporarily for the rear bumper. I really need to get some skinny bumper trim.

IMG_4661.png

IMG_4660.png

At the show

IMG_4709.png

I am very jealous of you guys being able to make it to Ipd. When I get back to the states I will absolutely have to make it a priority for me. I don't have anything special but it would be really nice to be around some like minded Volvo nutbags. Car looks great btw!

Looks really good! I always wondered though, are you eventually planning to paint the rest of the car to match the engine bay or did you just decide to do it different for differents sake?

I wanted a little bit of contrast between the engine bay and the rest of the body (especially knowing that it was going to be different paint regardless), but didn't want it to look all stance-fanboy-drunkwithaspraycan.

I was going for a darker grey and it ended up that the paint I chose had more green/brown to it than I had thought when I chose it. I probably wouldn't have gone with it if I knew that beforehand, but now that it's there I think it looks pretty good.

At any rate, if I get this car painted in the future (which is somewhat likely, but still pretty far in the future at this point) the bay will be painted at the same time. There is some bodywork needed in the rear, but for now I'm just going to focus on refining the overall setup to make it function the way i want as a driver's car.

This trip has given me some clarity for some next steps with tweaking the setup, but also has made me really grow to love this car. Driving through the Columbia River Gorge I had just a massive grin on my face as everything came together and was perfect--the car, the road, the scenery, and approaching the trip destination.

I am very jealous of you guys being able to make it to Ipd. When I get back to the states I will absolutely have to make it a priority for me. I don't have anything special but it would be really nice to be around some like minded Volvo nutbags. Car looks great btw!

Do it! I highly recommend it... but maybe fly. :lol:

It was great meeting you guys this weekend.

If you guys run into any problems this week on your trip home, please dont hesitate to give me a ring Ill do whatever I can to help.

Have a safe trip home and see you again next year.

Car looks great by the way.

Sean

Tom, it was a pleasure to meet you and Justus. You guys have a safe trip!

Oh yeah, seconding what Sean said about calling if you need help and the car looking good and whatnot :-P

I wanted a little bit of contrast between the engine bay and the rest of the body (especially knowing that it was going to be different paint regardless), but didn't want it to look all stance-fanboy-drunkwithaspraycan.

I was going for a darker grey and it ended up that the paint I chose had more green/brown to it than I had thought when I chose it. I probably wouldn't have gone with it if I knew that beforehand, but now that it's there I think it looks pretty good.

At any rate, if I get this car painted in the future (which is somewhat likely, but still pretty far in the future at this point) the bay will be painted at the same time. There is some bodywork needed in the rear, but for now I'm just going to focus on refining the overall setup to make it function the way i want as a driver's car.

This trip has given me some clarity for some next steps with tweaking the setup, but also has made me really grow to love this car. Driving through the Columbia River Gorge I had just a massive grin on my face as everything came together and was perfect--the car, the road, the scenery, and approaching the trip destination.

Makes sense to me!

Trust me, I know how you feel. When I bought my T5R I drove it home from the east coast. Something special about taking a massive road trip in a car you bought/built/love.

Do it! I highly recommend it... but maybe fly. :lol:

I was talking about when I get stationed back in the US. I'm currrently stuck in England. I would love to bring my RHD beast to Ipd. It runs well and is in decent shape so I figured why not bring it back from the UK with me. I would love to make the trip while the car is still carbed. You probly don't see too many B230K in the US in the 240 chassis. :oogle:

End thread derail

Awesome car! That little piece of trim out back really does help the back end look better. It's the little things that make the biggest difference sometimes.

Looks great Tom. I love the clean silver and satin black cleanness....and I don't mind the contrast between the engine bay and rest of it.

Glad you guys made it out.....hoping you make it back safely. I would love to make that drive.....even if I don't have a Volvo....running.

Just because I'm a critical jerk......I think your muffler is too low. However, I don't mind the angled tailpipe.

I really need to get some skinny bumper trim.

Tucking the bumper is another option.

If you slot the holes on the bumper shock flanges, you can raise it up. And then to move it in just compress the bumper shock 1 to 1.5 inches using a press, then do a few tack welds just strong enough to hold it in place but weak enough to break in the event of an impact. This way you retain some of the impact absorption.

Tucking the bumper is another option.

If you slot the holes on the bumper shock flanges, you can raise it up. And then to move it in just compress the bumper shock 1 to 1.5 inches using a press, then do a few tack welds just strong enough to hold it in place but weak enough to break in the event of an impact. This way you retain some of the impact absorption.

thats kinda of what I wanted to do when I had this chassis, weld up all the front trim holes ect like what you did on your gt, yours is such a beautiful example of a well built car!

Last edited:
Back