• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aluminum trunk lids

I know of aluminum hoods (700s) never heard of aluminum trunk lids in my 40 years of Volvoing. They made the hoods for (heavy motor) diesel cars to save weight, not sure what reason would be to make trunk lids out of it. But they made wagon hatches out of aluminum, so dunno, following

Last edited:
I know of aluminum hoods (700s) never heard of aluminum trunk lids in my 40 years of Volvoing. They made the hoods for (heavy motor) diesel cars to save weight, not sure what reason would be to make trunk lids out of it. But they made wagon hatches out of aluminum, so dunno, following

700 900 cars got various aluminum body panel options throughout the years.

Not the 240s. I heard of aluminum flat hoods for 240s but can not confirm they actually exist.

I can confirm the existence of an aluminum flat hood and trunk lid for 240. I worked on this car before it was sold and it had a polished aluminum hood and trunk lid.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=112299&highlight=aluminum+hood+trunk

100_0514.JPG

Yeah, I'm with you on that one Roy. lol

I can confirm, the tailgate on my wagon is aluminum, caught me by surprise when sanding it down for paint.

Numbers matching trunk lid on the 140 was quickly eliminated from possibility after the ******* that broke into it decided to pry the damn thing open.

I can confirm the existence of an aluminum flat hood and trunk lid for 240. I worked on this car before it was sold and it had a polished aluminum hood and trunk lid.

That is interesting; but, being a 1983 it would have a trunk lid that is not compatible with my 1971 142. Also, being a homologation special with a worldwide production of 500, it is likely to be unobtanium. My hope was that since the North American Volvo parts web sites list the 'possibility' of an aluminum trunk on the 1975 - 78 240 and 260 it was more of a production item than a homologation special so might have been slightly more available.

Last edited:
Usually if Volvo part number starts with 552 it is designed and manufactured for Competition Service or R-Sport. Sometimes normal std components find their way in CS or RS catalogues, and they keep their normal part number. For example VolvoPenta fuel pump.
So if "Yeah, it is Aluminium" lid is homologation only, it should have 552 number.
I tried to google Volvo 240 baklucka av aluminium, but didn't find what I was looking for. Small story about 245 alu rear hatch , but nuthin for sedans.

Back