• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Another step coming up shortly is to modify the waterpipe. I have a 960 pipe ready to be modified as needed, but I'm going to wait to do anything with it until I have the turbo in hand. I *think* I want to do a GTX3067R and make use of the external wastegate flange already on the manifold. Admittedly, I'm a bit anxious about making that decision. :oops:

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

First off...just wanna say that I'm enjoying your project/thread.

In regards to your manifold...I would remain flexible about it. The waste gate port NOT being directly opposite the turbine flange MIGHT cause creep issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Otherwise...keep up the good work!

Very good and inspiring progress!

I have a turbo whiteblock engine sitting in the garage and was contemplating this same swap for my '80.

I *think* I want to do a GTX3067R and make use of the external wastegate flange already on the manifold. Admittedly, I'm a bit anxious about making that decision. :oops:

It's OK; your Turbos Anonymous support group is here to help with the anxiety. Just relax and let it happen.

First off...just wanna say that I'm enjoying your project/thread.

In regards to your manifold...I would remain flexible about it. The waste gate port NOT being directly opposite the turbine flange MIGHT cause creep issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Otherwise...keep up the good work!

Thanks. Like anything else, if the manifold presents a problem, then I'll deal with it. For the price, packaging, and durability, I couldn't resist at least trying it. I haven't yet heard of anyone actually having an issue with it--only speculating that it might not be the bee's knees.

Very good and inspiring progress!

I have a turbo whiteblock engine sitting in the garage and was contemplating this same swap for my '80.

Thanks, go for it!

always with the artsy photos! nice progress.

:oops: Sometimes I get tired of looking at my haphazard iPhone photos, so I grab the Nikon and take some haphazard DSLR photos instead.

Going to sell the adapter plate for the 265 to Redblock?

Yep. Going to sell the adapter plate and centering ring. I could probably also include the accordingly-modified m47 bellhousing if a buyer is interested.

It's OK; your Turbos Anonymous support group is here to help with the anxiety. Just relax and let it happen.

Having a support group is always important. This just might be enough to push me over the edge.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/B8ohwZMrHZsvC" width="480" height="259" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/cheezburger-fail-fall-B8ohwZMrHZsvC">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited:
I'm in the process of drawing up an adapter plate for my getrag, so tonight I decided to bolt on the bellhousing, and mock up the transmission in place behind the engine to get some measurements for adapter thickness (this is the last measurement I needed). I should be ready for material and machining in the next couple days (or later tonight perhaps...)

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

Yep, I would have tried out that option if I still had the bellhousing (I'm kicking myself for not keeping it around).

The other issue with using some of those KLracing adapters is that the fit is far from optimal at the engine and starter. When complete, this adapter plate should work out pretty nicely with the 960 bellhousing.

For posterity, I'll also document that I found a pilot bearing to suit the getrag 265 input shaft and 98 b5234t crank.

NTN 6801LU bearing

12mm ID (to fit getrag 265 input shaft)
21mm OD (to fit 98 b5234t crank)
5mm width

BTW the ATP manifold and GTX3067R is exactly what's going on mine. You know... if I ever get back to work on it.

You may have to mess around with the water pipe plumbing so it doesn't come out directly in front of the compressor inlet.

Hopefully it's a winning combination! Which housing did you choose? I was thinking of starting with the .63. It does indeed appear that the waterpipe will require a little massaging, but not too bad all things considered.

Speaking of everything else. I just got some pictures from the machinist.

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

Back