• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SKF u-joint quality?

IansPlatinum

Ordered 3 SKF U-joints for my driveshaft, part number UJ344.

Called up my local driveshaft shop for a quote, and he says the SKF u-joints are junk and probably won't balance due to loose tolerances, and that I should purchase spicer brand U-joints instead...

Anyone have experience with this? SKF is supposed to be top-notch stuff, right? Are U-joints the exception? Or think this guy is full of BS?

Last edited:
I recently looked into this as I have to change a joint in my 240 also. U-joints, I think, are one of those things that elicit strong feelings. For me it came down to the odds being that Dana Spicer was probably the OE joint for this application, so that's what I went with. Unfortunately, all joints seem to come with grease fittings, which I'd rather not have.

If someone knows more than me on this, please share.

I recently looked into this as I have to change a joint in my 240 also. U-joints, I think, are one of those things that elicit strong feelings. For me it came down to the odds being that Dana Spicer was probably the OE joint for this application, so that's what I went with. Unfortunately, all joints seem to come with grease fittings, which I'd rather not have.

If someone knows more than me on this, please share.

Why don't you want grease fittings?

The non-greasable ones have better seals and seem to last a long time without routine greasing, which I find nice.

Here's a post Homer made about getting the GKN/Hardy Spicer U-joints since they were in the Volvo parts database as a heavy duty option. I think the ones he is talking about are PN TVC100010G on this page.

Just installed some SKF's without fittings in the Dodge, actually looked pretty good, different seal design on them as well, that I haven't seen before. Instead of umbrella type seals they had lip seals on the face of the caps that compressed on install. They actually had a bit more heft to them than the Spicers they replaced as well, time will tell how they do though.

Just installed some SKF's without fittings in the Dodge, actually looked pretty good, different seal design on them as well, that I haven't seen before. Instead of umbrella type seals they had lip seals on the face of the caps that compressed on install. They actually had a bit more heft to them than the Spicers they replaced as well, time will tell how they do though.

Good to know... I guess it baffled me that SKF is capable of producing anything shoddy... they're literally the global leader in bearing manufacturing. Almost every industrial application bearing is SKF... I guess I'll have to do the same- give em a shot, keep an eye on them.

At this point, anything's gotta be better than the seized u-joint that's currently on the pinion yoke...

The only issue I had with SKF stuff was 240 front wheel bearings. They were in the correct package but the outer race was the incorrect one for the application. It had the wrong part number on the outer race by one digit. I grabbed a used 240 race and that took care of the issue. The issue was the outer diameter of the race was too large for the volvo hub.

Be advised, received the U joints, made in china....

Probably the same OEM as the GMB ones FCP sells, as the SKF lettering is etched into the body, not cast. So I guess I just bought some overpriced chinesium... maybe I'll use one for now and return the other two, grab some GKNs and hold onto them for a rainy day...

I had new front FAG bearings installed up this summer in both 93 Classics. Purchased at FCP. No issues.

I also had the diff rebuilt this summer at Mitchell Differential and Driveline in Shrewsbury MA. They use the Yukon rebuild kit. No issues.

SKF joints went in fine., no issues with fitment. Seem OK quality, but definitely just gonna go with GKNs next time

Back