• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stock 940 Volvo intercooler hp limit

Chanley Talon

Can someone tell me how much power and boost a stock 940Front mount intercooler can handle?
Thanks!
fae9a132-7c7d-4e10-95aa-7cc2ac46dfba.jpeg

Hi

The end cans are usually the problem, before you reach the limit in temperature reduction capability. They tend to pop loose when passing 1 bar/ 14 psi after some time of usage.

YS
Jaybee

how psi a stock can support?

You'd be better off with a KL or do88 or NPR Intercooler anyway if you plan on running a lot of boost.
I was surprised how restrictive the stock one is when I switched to a KL.

Do the better intercoolers make much difference on low PSI setups? Say, a 15g at 7.5 psi? Those do88 graphs show a decent improvement in CFM across all pressure drops but I don't know how that translates to the driving experience. I would make an uneducated guess that a less restrictive intercooler improves throttle response and spool time, as well as ultimate power. Also, the temperature vs vehicle speed graph doesn't tell us what PSI the car is running, which would make a huge difference.

Do the better intercoolers make much difference on low PSI setups? Say, a 15g at 7.5 psi?

I was running a 16T at about 10psi (which ins't too much I guess) and it was a whole different world when I switched to the KL.
I'm now at 13psi and the 3psi increase came only by swapping out the intercooler without even touching the boost controller.

the stock one in sam's black wagon gets pretty toasty pretty quick
This is what I also found, the KL is as cool as it can get.

I switched from the original IC to the do88 one and the car feels like on a foggy fall morning now but in the middle of summer. (precise, scientific measurements... :-P)

8V, A cam, 1.2bar, 76mm Exhaust;

Can someone tell me how much power and boost a stock 940Front mount intercooler can handle?

The original one held 1.2bar for about 100.000km.

Back