• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 ?se?

240-FAN

Had a few quick questions about the SE 940s - I know they were a 1 year only brick.

1. Any thoughts from the gurus here on the IRS and the Nivomats?
2. Can the Nivomats be replaced with regular strut and coils?
3. Also, can someone please advise on the B230FT - are there any areas to watch out for on these compared to the regular B230F thats on my 240?
4. Any other useful tidbit worth knowing?

Thanks!

IPD sells a Nivomat conversion kit that uses Bilstein shocks with different springs. Ben here also sells replacement coil overs. They are a good car. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
BNE also sells a c/o kit for the gen1 IRS.

But by now, I would think that all the rubber bushings in the IRS would need replacing, if they haven't been yet. So, I wouldn't bother replacing shocks if you aren't going to do the bushings while you've got it apart. Did it on mine, and it made all the difference.

Had the wagon version. Loved it.
Had the interior of the 960 with turbo red block goodness.
Luckily the wagon version didn’t have the Nivomats.
If it’s not rusty, it’s a great car.

Awesome! That’s good to hear from everyone.
Any advise on the B230FT? It will be my first brick with a “FT” engine.

Had the wagon version. Loved it.
Had the interior of the 960 with turbo red block goodness.
Luckily the wagon version didn?t have the Nivomats.
If it?s not rusty, it?s a great car.

Yes, the 940SE wagon does have Nivomats from the factory. So does the 1988-90 760 wagon. Somebody already converted it before you got the car. With the wagon it is as simple as putting in springs and shocks from a non-SE wagon,

Yes, the 940SE wagon does have Nivomats from the factory. So does the 1988-90 760 wagon. Somebody already converted it before you got the car. With the wagon it is as simple as putting in springs and shocks from a non-SE wagon,

My 88 765 had new rear springs and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks when I got it 15 years ago.

BNE also sells a c/o kit for the gen1 IRS.

But by now, I would think that all the rubber bushings in the IRS would need replacing, if they haven't been yet. So, I wouldn't bother replacing shocks if you aren't going to do the bushings while you've got it apart. Did it on mine, and it made all the difference.

Sadly, a number of these irs bushings are NLA......or have doubled in price.
Patrick

Sadly, a number of these irs bushings are NLA......or have doubled in price.
Patrick

It would have been 8-10-ish years ago that I went down this road. I found somewhere online that had all of the bushings except for 1. I don't recall where I found them. The one that was NLA was in ok shape on my car...so I just let that one ride. I don't know what other ones are NLA today...

Since I was doing all of them, I just took that IRS rear sub-frame out...to make things a bit easier. I will say, I was definitely over replacing bushings when this job was over....there were just so many bushings...

It would have been 8-10-ish years ago that I went down this road. I found somewhere online that had all of the bushings except for 1. I don't recall where I found them. The one that was NLA was in ok shape on my car...so I just let that one ride. I don't know what other ones are NLA today...

Since I was doing all of them, I just took that IRS rear sub-frame out...to make things a bit easier. I will say, I was definitely over replacing bushings when this job was over....there were just so many bushings...

Agreed, I did the same back in the mid 2000s I still have all the mandrels I turned on a lathe to draw bushings in and out on the subframe. I dropped a 3.31 LSD from 960 in at the same time which really matched the M90 well.

Are you guys saying that I would still have to deal with NLA bushings on the rear end no matter what?
If I do end up buying the 940 local to me, I already know I gotta switch to conventional rear set up using the kit from IPD.
What happens with the worn bushings? The ones on my 240 are pretty worn, but after switching to Billy TCS and overload springs, the rear end feels nice and taut. No such magic solution for the 940’s IRS rear end?

I just did a quick search through Tasca, and it still looks like there's quite a few bushings that are available. I would definitely check the car to make sure you know which ones need it....or just buy all the ones that are out there and just do it for piece of mind...

And BNE sell a Delrin diff bushing, which is the one that takes the biggest beating.

That large front diff bushing wears out and causes clunks. I also removed the subframe when I replaced it on my friends 88 760 turbo. The bushing was easy to remove being in a plastic sleeve but you need some good tools to press the new one in. Volvo sold a tool to do it. Similar to the rear trailing arm bushing tool on a 240.

Back