• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

My side window trim came factory black paint over the stainless steel below. I cleaned, scuffed and used SEM Trim Black. It has been in the garage for years now so I have no idea how it will hold up in the real world.

The same situation existed on the V8 wagon and it had been painted with the SEM product and living outside for five years without problems.

SEM trim. Cleaned ALL of the original off. Used red scotch pad. Oil grease remover. Self etching primer. Following flashing time on all steps. Still came off in lots of places.

^ How long before the paint failed? Is you car stored outside? How many car washes? Just curious as some of my coupe trim will need some paint.

Similar trim on mine was painted when the car was about 17 years ago. Car has been garaged -- but the trim paint has actually held up pretty well all things considered. No idea what the shop did to it for prep or what paint they used.

My buddy John got the Ferrari emblem, bumpers and fog lights on the car for the first time in 40 years. Car is running great - pretty excited to seem him/it at the Euro Auto Festival in Greenville, SC next weekend.

We missed you Tom - threat of "drizzle" for an hour kept 6 of the 8 registered Volvos away. Just me and one other guy. The difference between a show in the S.E. and the N.W. .... LOL! Great day. Cool. Cloudy. Perfect conditions for showing cars. My buddy's was the oldest Ferrari there.

Are Volvos made of sugar? What's wrong with people? Nice Volvo and that Ferrari isn't bad either. What year is the Volvo and what bumper is that?

82 242. I made the bumper out of fiberglass laying it up inside the Commando forging. Added a 94 or 95 Volvo 850 air dam and made the small splitter out of fiberglass laying it up on my garage floor. Little clearer shot below. Rear is fiberglass as well. Useless as bumpers, but I like the weight loss and the appearance.

Got under the car to install the last part before getting it off the jack stands . . . the shift link removed to allow removal of the shift assembly for carpet installation.

The bushing is missing. I don't remember it in disassembly.

I find two part numbers for the bushing, both at IPD. 381704 is apparently an OEM part, 666143 appears to be an aftermarket version.

Tried to order the OEM from a Volvo dealer and was told it was NLA.

Anyone got a box of OEM bushing or thoughts on aftermarket version.

You might want to ask the question of the broader TB family in a stand alone post Tom -- might get more views than in here. How's the shoulder?

I'll save him the trouble.

381704 was updated to 666143 many moons ago. It was originally rubber but was updated to polyurethane because the rubber didn't last. They are used for throttle linkage bushings on early cars as well.

I don't know why iPd shows the rubber bushing under the old number as OE. It hasn't been available from Volvo that way for ages.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-bushing-666143

Edit:

Maybe this is why. Tasca still shows it's available. That's weird.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-bushing-381704

Items #28 & 32 are shift linkage bushings part #666143. The superseded part number is on the right in parenthesis.

LinkageBushingUpdate.jpg

Last edited:
Back