• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie - Introduction!

spuzzcake

Hello everyone!

Just introducing myself. Although I signed up a while ago I have never posted before. I just got myself a 1997 "P" 940, it has 2.3 lpt and it's an Auto. I think it's called a "Classic". I am near Aberdeen, in Scotland. Here are some pics!

P1011182.jpg

P1011183.jpg

P1011184.jpg

P1011185.jpg

P1011186.jpg

Doesn't look like a 'classic' to me, the classics were usually lower spec than that.

Colour coded mirrors, leccy seats, Air Con (or is it Climate), Moonroof, Auriga alloys all indicate it's a CD spec one to me.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

Just checked the V5 and it says Classic, maybe it just had a whole heap of options paid for?

Got the tuning bug already, bought practical performance car this month.

Got a T5 engine and gearbox in the garage which seems a bit far fetched, albeit a bit tempting. A stage 0 and an MBC will be on it's way very soon though!

The car has been well and truly spoiled. Previous owner had it for 10 years and in the last 3 months it's had MOT, full service including timing belt, new exhaust, 2 new alloys, 4 new Pirelli tyres and new discs and pads all round.

It's a very good base for a tuning project car. Don't over look the crankcase breather box and other bits when bringing it upto stage zero, its cheap and easy to replace.

Welcome to TurboBricks! What a nice car (gray with black leather :drool:) its looks piratically new but what the hell happed to the engine bay? Go to your local auto parts store and get some engine bay form, it will clean that bay up nicely and leave the rubber hoses and pipes a nice glossy black. Report back with clean before and after pictures :grin:

Welcome! Nice car, but what the hell are those wheels, I've never seen them before. Maybe a "euro-only" thing...

Welcome. Love the scenery around your place. Countryside around Aberdeen is beautiful, as I recall. I need to go recite something by Bobby Burns.

This is the view from my living room window:

P1010169.jpg

Out the back I look over Bennachie! Surrounded by beautiful scenery and it never gets boring!

RobSmith: Do you have any pictures of your car? I am going to be doing a very thorough service or stage 0 in the next few weeks. Have you any pointers for me?

This is the view from my living room window:

P1010169.jpg

Out the back I look over Bennachie! Surrounded by beautiful scenery and it never gets boring!

RobSmith: Do you have any pictures of your car? I am going to be doing a very thorough service or stage 0 in the next few weeks. Have you any pointers for me?

1) Use good antifreeze / anti corrosive stuff. (The proper Volvo stuff is probably best). This is worth doing to save the head and other suscepible parts from being eaten.
2) Give the head bolts a good clean (even if they are new ones)before you put them back in. Especially the one that the oil feed to the head uses. Muck on that head bolt will get washed off and go up to the cam bearings.
3) I would not try to polish any of the aluminium parts on your engine. You will have lots of muck and salt on the road where you are so it will just go white and furry quickly again. Same goes for degreasing everything back to bare metal.
4) Use good oil. I used Castrol Magnatec in my N/A B230FB which is now in my shed. I took the sump off the bottom of that engine the other day. The internals have a nice golden brown colouring but not covered in black deposits (230000 mile engine too). I have shell Helix synthetic in my B230FK engine now. It is the first time I have used that but the heat at the Turbo would be best coped with a fully synthetic oil I believe.

I am sure there is loads of stuff like this. PM me what you are doing and I will try to help.

Rob

Back