• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

Got a new steering wheel :). A Luisi 350mm in the style I like. I love the Momo Montecarlo, but the prices are too high here in Canadia. This one came straight off amazon, from Lithuania, and still arrived in a week.

h2wx5Rjs_o.jpg

I've also decided how I'm going to do my shifter buttons. The O/D button will now become the upshift, and I'll use a small momentary switch on the shifter console somewhere for downshift.

Haven't touched the car in a while :(.
I'm going to pull the three-gauge panel and re-install the deck that came with the car. It was originally mounted in the lower cubby, but I prefer the upper since I am using the lower for the AEM water meth controller. I can't stand being without music anymore.

I also grabbed a speed sensor connector today at the scrappers off the lone 740 turbo there. Now I can wire up the 88+ electric speedo and have a working gauge again! My G80 has 48 teeth, and I didn't feel like opening the rear end to cut some out, so I grabbed a pulse divider from a taxi supply company. DIRT cheap and divides by 4 ;).

N7n48ab1_o.jpg

I also picked some struts off an 82 245 that was there (which is RARE up here). I've stripped them down, pulled the inserts (heat required to remove gland nuts), and will be making some coilovers at some point. Not sure how short I want them, because this isn't a slammed car.

You were at standard! That's like 15 minutes from my mom's (just the other side of Richmond). My buddy sent me pictures of both those cars lol. Sad to see them there

Partial (pic-free, as usual) update: I still haven't 'plated' my car for the year, so I can't drive it. I am preparing a 'new' daily (2007 Subaru Forester XS) and the damn thing needs a timing belt. There goes my Volvo money, because they don't give those kits away, sigh.

Since I'm not driving it, I'm really tempted to get started on the B6 swap, but I'm worried it will be down all summer if I do. REALLY don't want that to happen.

I'm also being tempted by the Deeworks whiteblock-to-CDxxx adapter...

Partial (pic-free, as usual) update: I still haven't 'plated' my car for the year, so I can't drive it. I am preparing a 'new' daily (2007 Subaru Forester XS) and the damn thing needs a timing belt. There goes my Volvo money, because they don't give those kits away, sigh.

Since I'm not driving it, I'm really tempted to get started on the B6 swap, but I'm worried it will be down all summer if I do. REALLY don't want that to happen.

I'm also being tempted by the Deeworks whiteblock-to-CDxxx adapter...

$215 CAD for the complete kit with the water pump on Rock Auto...

That's the one I ended up ordering. The house needs some electrical work this year, so my car budget is pretty small right now...and that subie money was going to get me the last of the parts for the whiteblock swap as well as my plate sticker.

Ah well, happy wife, happy life.

That's the one I ended up ordering. The house needs some electrical work this year, so my car budget is pretty small right now...and that subie money was going to get me the last of the parts for the whiteblock swap as well as my plate sticker.

Ah well, happy wife, happy life.

I know what you mean... I did my build budget on Excel the other day and almost ended up buying a rope and finding a solid tree branch. I'm in for over $13,000 to get this thing on the road. $4000 of this spent already so I have to find the other $9000 somehow! :-P

So it's looking like I won't be driving my Volvo this summer, but over the years, I've learned to make lemonade out of lemons. I have 90% of the stuff I need to do the B6304 swap, so I figure I'll get started on that. It's more fun working on the car in the summer anyway :).

I should be getting started in the next week or so, once the new daily is up and running.

-New daily on the road, old daily off the road.

Time to do fun things :).

Tacked up my Homer mounts. I'll finish-weld them after mocking up the engine/trans. Yes...I know the tacks aren't very deep, but that just makes them easier to grind away if I have to, lol.

tErOgu3h_o.jpg

Cleaned up my AW30-40e and did the accumulator delete. I need a new gasket, but I will probably just goop it, since it works better (IMO).

xJtX8o0e_o.jpg

Went to the local Metal Supermarket and found two 2 x 3 aluminum slugs that are perfect for my swap. I'm using stock passenger side mounts (no offset stud) on a 2" spacer, as per Homer's info for use with his mount design. I spun them on the lathe at work and bored a hole dead center all the way through, then tapped it for M10x1.5. One side gets the mount, the other side will probably get a stud, which will help lining stuff up when dropping the engine in. Getting close to having everything I need!

picture.php

Let the swap begin! This is as far as I wanted to go today, since I still have to make space in the garage for the B21/AW71 while I attend to engine bay cleaning before installing the B6304/AW30-40e.

picture.php

I also pressure washed the s**t out of my hood. The underside was 100% covered in undercoating and grime, which I hated. I finally had a good reason to take the hood off, so I busted out the degreaser. Not perfect, but waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

picture.php

Neat, the BW55 transmission mount bracket bolts right up to the AW30-40e. It really looks like the new box is the same length as the AW71L I had in there, so I might be able to get away with no mods to the x-member :).

Engine's in!

picture.php

I was able to use the BW55 tranny mount bracket with the crossmember in the AW70/71 location (dual mount holes). I had to use a 1" spacer to mount the bracket though, since the AW30-40e is juuuuuust a shave shorter than the AW71L. The driveshaft is about an inch away too, so I may just machine a spacer at work. The stock swaybar worked fine too, with a 3/4" spacer to drop it slightly.

Nice work! So the Homer conversion mounts got it done? Are you going to boost this whiteblock or keep it NA?

Last.... engine management MOTRONIC or custom?

Thanks, I'm stoked! Yessir, Homer mounts all the way :).

Engine management...that's a confusing subject right now. The car is currently wired up for MS2 with wasted spark, which is what I was running on my B21. To convert it to 6-cyl operation would be just a quick solder job to add another spark output. I do have a soft spot for swaps on stock ecus though, especially when it looks like it would be possible to DIY-tune it. So the best answer I can give is...I'm not sure yet, lol.

As for boost, it will happen at some point I hope. I'll have to make a manifold, get injectors, etc. I'll start amassing parts first :).

Last edited:
Back