• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Strut Tower Brace

may be too late to the party but I am not a big fan of a full front strut brace on a daily driver. why? sacrifices ride quality, wears out front suspension in weird areas. they are cool...in theory..or on the track.

may be too late to the party but I am not a big fan of a full front strut brace on a daily driver. why? sacrifices ride quality, wears out front suspension in weird areas. they are cool...in theory..or on the track.
It isn't theory. They do triangulate the front suspension. To what degree is the discussion. I don't think I have ever seen suspension worn out due to them. Maybe it is because those who install said bar drive it like its stolen?

I disagree, I don't see how a strut brace could possibly degrade ride quality or affect tire wear other than helping it.

I call bull spit.
Name these weird areas. Show pictures.
Bodys are rigid, suspensions move. That is how it works. The body is not supposed to absorb shock by flexing. Flexing steel cracks. That is what shocks, springs and bushings are for.
Ever drove a car on washboard gravel and seen the fenders flexing in and out? I have. That is why aussie 240s ALL got the gt firewall braces, cause without them on the crappy 80's Australian roads, the ride quality sucked, and the suspension broke/ wore out in weird places.....

If you are going to be driving your 240 hard, you should run AT LEAST the GT upper strut mount reinforcement plates. Even better is to add a strut tower brace like Kaplhenke's that has a full strut top plate. Even better than that is thicker strut mounts like Kaplhenke and a few others sell. If not, you could end up with a strut tower like this:

39177213055_775ee6a0f6_z.jpg

Yes, that is supposed to be flat, not domed.

Holy cow. Did you jump that thing? LOL.

Holy cow. Did you jump that thing? LOL.
No, the roads here in the mountains are just hard on cars if you drive fast. On a stock 245 in excellent condition with Bilstein HD's, I still use the full range of motion in the suspension and it bottoms all the way out and hits full droop multiple times on the way to the grocery store.

This is wrong on so many levels, actually its wrong on all of the levels. A stiffer chassis(unibody) never decreases ride quality, it only improves ride quality. Any car that is flexing and deforming isn't letting the suspension do its job correctly.

If you have ever driven in a car with a full roll cage, they are amazingly good over bumps. Theres a reason for that.

That being said, a good chassis brace will never decrease body roll... It may decrease body flex but that those are two distinctly different things.

Ben, When are you going to have more stock of the 240 strut bars that tie into the firewall?

Ben, When are you going to have more stock of the 240 strut bars that tie into the firewall?

I have 40 prepped that im dropping off @ the welders sometime next week. Hopefully they get them knocked out in 2-3 weeks.

Its funny how a pretty slow selling product gets a ton of inquiries once its NLA, but no worries... Its soon to be restocked and it will sit on the shelves!!! :-P

I?m waiting for those strut bars from kaphlenke to be in stock as well. I?ve noticed that in my car the spots where the gt braces would bolt to the firewall there are just holes, there is no threading or anything. I?ve seen pictures of other cars where it looks like there is maybe a white plastic threaded insert that goes into the firewall holes. Is my car just missing those inserts? I?ll provide pics if necessary.

I’m waiting for those strut bars from kaphlenke to be in stock as well. I’ve noticed that in my car the spots where the gt braces would bolt to the firewall there are just holes, there is no threading or anything. I’ve seen pictures of other cars where it looks like there is maybe a white plastic threaded insert that goes into the firewall holes. Is my car just missing those inserts? I’ll provide pics if necessary.

What year is your car? certain pre 1980 240 didn't have them. Easiest way to add them would be to rivnut the bulk head.

One of the good things I've done for my cars has been to add the GT braces and a strut to strut brace. Makes the car feel more solid over washboard roads. Do it!

Its funny how a pretty slow selling product gets a ton of inquiries once its NLA, but no worries... Its soon to be restocked and it will sit on the shelves!!! :-P

I was literally about to email you about them before I just found this thread. :lol:

One of the good things I've done for my cars has been to add the GT braces and a strut to strut brace. Makes the car feel more solid over washboard roads. Do it!

That?s my goal. I?m just waiting for an email from BNe saying a strut bar/brace combo in orange powder coat is ready to buy....

Back