• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Looks excellent, I'm glad to see that this car is getting some much deserved attention. Props for getting s**t done.

Thanks dude, I'm just glad I got a solid car to build off of!

Got the rear end all done, just need te reassemble and put it back in the car. Who has the best deal for adjustable torque arms?

6d1f6550.jpg

d0066564.jpg

c755085b.jpg

03808f24.jpg

Believe me I thought about that but the bushings are wasted and the cost of replacements makes it cost prohibitive. I guess I could just get some swaged rods and 5/8 heims.

with all this, why not a 4spd auto so you can have some mileage in your new family car/baby hauler? BTW: If you are the guy I think you are, you have a very nice Subaru-powered 914 in the family, don't you? Or is that your buddy's father's car? In any case, looks like a clean crossmember setup. How much lower will this car sit in front/back when you are thru? As others have said, please post lots of pics

Nice build! These cars are fun to daily with a v8. What tire are you using in the rear?

The ipd torque arms are kind of lame because they are only adjustable on one side and kind of crude. I would build my own if I were you. There are a couple other guys that build some if you want to make it easy.

Could you be a pal and tell me how much room you have from the front of the cylinder head to the front grill?
Thanks!

Believe me I thought about that but the bushings are wasted and the cost of replacements makes it cost prohibitive. I guess I could just get some swaged rods and 5/8 heims.

http://www.yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=4

http://www.kaplhenke.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=32

I added up the cost of making my own its around 100 bucks without the spacers for the heim joints. And idk how i would make those.

Josh's (yoshifab) are an awesome deal. I personally know two people running them and love them. They are light too.

Got the raer end all put back together and installed. Came out pretty good and the pinion angle is right where it needs to be even with the stock torque rods.

with all this, why not a 4spd auto so you can have some mileage in your new family car/baby hauler? BTW: If you are the guy I think you are, you have a very nice Subaru-powered 914 in the family, don't you? Or is that your buddy's father's car? In any case, looks like a clean crossmember setup. How much lower will this car sit in front/back when you are thru? As others have said, please post lots of pics

A four speed would have been really nice but just wasnt going to happen for my horsepower and budget goals. The only cheap option would have been a 4L80E but they are HUGE and would have required the use of a stock computer. Also the cost of a decent converter for it would have broke the bank. I got the built th400 for 400 bucks so it fit my goals.

I built the 914 for my friends father, by far the best project I have been a part of!

Will this car have a/c?

Would be nice but no, maybe in the future.

Pics,
123199fc.jpg

fca2cd0c.jpg

Some crappy pics of measurements for Bigbegum69,

5f9ddd3b.jpg

aead45c3.jpg

f36f52cd.jpg

I'm going to come over with my fancy new camera and take some fancy pictures this weekend. That is, if I can figure out how to use it. :lol:

Can't wait to see the rear wheels bolted up. I'm dying to see how they sit against the fender lips.

Small update,

I made an adjustable panhard bar and pressed in some new bushings. I also made some rear coilovers so besides plumbing the brakes the suspension is pretty much done. I also mounted my kirkey and the shifter is in and working. I have just been working on getting all the electrical working and thinning out all the crap I'm not going to use. The good new is that the power windows and locks work! I also reworked the heater box so it's pretty much is just a defroster now. I just couldnt bear to put all that ductwork and vacuum mess back in and since it's not going to be my daily I dont need heat coming at me in five directions. I'm going to wire up the megasquirt, mount the battery and finish all that time consuming crap. I can't wait until it's time to shred it and make it all pretty!

Oh and I came up on a major score, free wheels!!! I work next to a wheel shop in the bay area and this guy got new wheels for his evo and just left his 17x9 rotas there with pretty new 255 dunlops. One wheel was broken(reason for getting new ones) but I can afford one wheel....

I honestly don't know what look I like better though, what do you guys think?

Pics,
IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Back