• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 Volvo 940 Turbo won't start in 18 degree weather

19Brambling

My 1991 Volvo 940 Turbo won't start in 18 degree weather; I have heard there is a Cold Start injector and I would like to inspect it. Unfortunately i cannot find it on ALLDATA or my service CD. Can someone please tell me where to look? Also does anyone have a part number?

Finally is there a test I can do on it to ensure its integrity, such as electrical resistance or vacuum integrity?

Thanks, turns out the only car I could get started the last few days is my OLD mercedes diesel.

1991 Volvo 940 Turbo won't start in 18 degree weather

More info would help us. Does it crank and not turn over? Are you sure the battery is good? That would be my first guess.

The CSI should be on the bottom of the intake manifold, if you have one. My 95 940 doesn't have one.

If the CS system checks out fine then I would look for any possible vacuum leaks. Check your grounds and clean the batter terminals and connectors. What condition are your plugs, ignition cap and rotor in? I would also look hard at the battery, how many CCA, should be like 700CCA for it to crank up cool when that cold. Also, the motor oil, are you using synthetic? Synthetic really helps with cold climate starts, like 10w30 fully synthetic should do the job, it'l even pour a little thinner and has more fluidability that standard 10w30.

When my plugs where bad my car would not start in the cold weather. When I worked at the dealer lots of 850's came in with cold weather no start problems and performing a tune up wit h cap/rotor/plugs/wires solved the problem.

Your 91 should not have a cold start injector.

Back