• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil Starvation road race b230

Team Slovo races a 240T in Lucky Dog and WCMA endurance racing and we use a 3 quart Accusump which totally solves the low oil pressure we encountered in Turns and under hard braking when running stock, in longer races it also makes up for lost oil as GTJordan says.

Where did you tie it in to the engine? I was thinking the 1/4" NPT hole tapped on the front of the engine at the end of the oil gallery, but not sure if that's big enough.

lifted the pictures from Dr. Fanning's thread:

uIGQ05Al.jpg

Odqz3UCl.jpg

5hmXS6Hl.jpg

0fqZuOKl.jpg

Accusump

Where did you tie it in to the engine? I was thinking the 1/4" NPT hole tapped on the front of the engine at the end of the oil gallery, but not sure if that's big enough.

We Tee'd off of the line (AN 10) to the oil cooler right at the sandwich plate. We also log oil pressure in our AIM data logger so we know how bad it was and how well the Accusump works, if you race hard it will keep your pressure up. When looking at data it was clear the major drop in oil pressure is not in long corners but when you have a hard brake zone and then turn into the corner, the oil is at the front of the head and pan leaving little at the pickup.

If you have to ask, it means you aren't running an oil cooler. You should run an oil cooler. 8)

I'm using the water/oil cooler off a 940T, thank you very much. I also have a crank scraper, just FYI.

Just saying; if you are pushing hard enough to need to worry about this, you will want to run a real oil cooler.

A lot cheaper than a cooked engine, or a even just a wasted track day.

Added a hump to the oil pan.. Taking the car to TGP tomorrow for testing and Barbers again on the 3-4. Hopefully the issue wont happen anymore.. I'll keep the group updated. Here's some pics..

171064861.jpg

171064862.jpg

171064863.jpg

171064864.jpg

How’d it go, Sam? Your only change was the pipe? I would think that the design doesn’t drain back into the pickup area great, as it introduces a hump between the two low spots?

Dana, what are you using to control your Accusump? Or do you just leave it on all the time? We run one as needed and used to have a driver activated switch. That solenoid failed so now we have a manual control valve, but have to pit to turn it on.

As long as the oil level has been right at the max level, we haven’t normally had a problem. But, at ORP in July we were having problems and even with the Accusump on it didn’t seem to be helping. That being said, we had a loose connection on our oil pressure sending unit so I can’t 100% confirm everything, other than the oil level now is nearer the minimum mark on the dipstick.

Our problems are also after hard braking and mid-corner. We’ve tried baffled pans in the past, a pipe on the side in the past, ans can’t confirm that anything was definitely better. One trap door setup was actually worse, and maybe that one or another had a plate fail that ended up moving around in the pan and blocking the oil pickup. So, for the last three years we’ve been running a stock pan and using the Accusump when needed. If the oil was at the full mark it was almost always ok. We went to wider tires this year though, so grip levels are higher.

Here’s a video from last year when the oil level was a bit low. https://youtu.be/bHTkPCQ5ZLU

I forgot to mention that if we overfill our crankcase above the maximum mark, it usually pops up the dipstick and makes a mess everywhere. Erland(Cox) was telling me that on his race car(s) they pop out if the oil level is above halfway on the dipstick.

How?d it go, Sam? Your only change was the pipe? I would think that the design doesn?t drain back into the pickup area great, as it introduces a hump between the two low spots?

Dana, what are you using to control your Accusump? Or do you just leave it on all the time? We run one as needed and used to have a driver activated switch. That solenoid failed so now we have a manual control valve, but have to pit to turn it on.

As long as the oil level has been right at the max level, we haven?t normally had a problem. But, at ORP in July we were having problems and even with the Accusump on it didn?t seem to be helping. That being said, we had a loose connection on our oil pressure sending unit so I can?t 100% confirm everything, other than the oil level now is nearer the minimum mark on the dipstick.

Our problems are also after hard braking and mid-corner. We?ve tried baffled pans in the past, a pipe on the side in the past, ans can?t confirm that anything was definitely better. One trap door setup was actually worse, and maybe that one or another had a plate fail that ended up moving around in the pan and blocking the oil pickup. So, for the last three years we?ve been running a stock pan and using the Accusump when needed. If the oil was at the full mark it was almost always ok. We went to wider tires this year though, so grip levels are higher.

Here?s a video from last year when the oil level was a bit low. https://youtu.be/bHTkPCQ5ZLU

Kyle; We tried just opening the manual valve to top up as needed but found that was really sketchy and prone to driver error, so for the past 4 years we pressurize the AccuSump with 60 psi oil close the valve and set the pan level at just slightly more than full (extra 1/2 litre) before an event. Once we have the motor started in the morning we open the valve and leave it open for the entire race day, it automatically pressure balances the system as needed. We have not had any oil related issues at all. Dana

Kyle; We tried just opening the manual valve to top up as needed but found that was really sketchy and prone to driver error, so for the past 4 years we pressurize the AccuSump with 60 psi oil close the valve and set the pan level at just slightly more than full (extra 1/2 litre) before an event. Once we have the motor started in the morning we open the valve and leave it open for the entire race day, it automatically pressure balances the system as needed. We have not had any oil related issues at all. Dana

Any details on where you added the accusump into your system? I already have two sandwich adapters on my B230ft, one to the oil cooler and another for the remote oil filter. I am thinking about running a T off the filtered oil to go directly to the turbo, so my oil system is getting complicated.

Is it better? Maybe? but still seeing signs of starvation.. notice the dash when my hands get out of the way at the 10:12 mark you can briefly see the oil light flash and the center gauge in front of the shifter is the oil pressure gauge.. Its electric so its slow to react but you can see it swing low briefly on exiting that turn.. I am wondering if the oil is sloshing forward under hard braking and that is causing the starvation? at first i thought it was because the oil was sliding up the side of the block but now i'm not so sure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wm9Nob8TWAk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How?d it go, Sam? Your only change was the pipe? I would think that the design doesn?t drain back into the pickup area great, as it introduces a hump between the two low spots?

As long as the oil level has been right at the max level, we haven?t normally had a problem. But, at ORP in July we were having problems and even with the Accusump on it didn?t seem to be helping. That being said, we had a loose connection on our oil pressure sending unit so I can?t 100% confirm everything, other than the oil level now is nearer the minimum mark on the dipstick.

Our problems are also after hard braking and mid-corner. We?ve tried baffled pans in the past, a pipe on the side in the past, ans can?t confirm that anything was definitely better. One trap door setup was actually worse, and maybe that one or another had a plate fail that ended up moving around in the pan and blocking the oil pickup. So, for the last three years we?ve been running a stock pan and using the Accusump when needed. If the oil was at the full mark it was almost always ok. We went to wider tires this year though, so grip levels are higher.

Here?s a video from last year when the oil level was a bit low. https://youtu.be/bHTkPCQ5ZLU

Thanks Dana. We'll probably give that method a whirl. The last race at ORP might have been giving false low oil pressure readings because one of the wiring terminals on our oil pressure sending unit had lost its nut, so the connection was loose. Hard to say for sure, at this point!

The only problems I see with your setup is that our car will typically pop the dipstick up when we overfill it, and you can't easily check the oil level mid-race without some solid dedication and focus which is sometimes hard to come by, haha. The ring seal on the #4 cylinder is not as good as it once was, so maybe it'll be ok with the next motor. We might zip tie the dipstick down for the next race at PIR in a week and a half. :omg:

Thanks Dana. We'll probably give that method a whirl. The last race at ORP might have been giving false low oil pressure readings because one of the wiring terminals on our oil pressure sending unit had lost its nut, so the connection was loose. Hard to say for sure, at this point!

The only problems I see with your setup is that our car will typically pop the dipstick up when we overfill it, and you can't easily check the oil level mid-race without some solid dedication and focus which is sometimes hard to come by, haha. The ring seal on the #4 cylinder is not as good as it once was, so maybe it'll be ok with the next motor. We might zip tie the dipstick down for the next race at PIR in a week and a half. :omg:

Kyle;
If you follow our procedure the wet sump is not over full, the fluid only moves from the AccuSump when the engine pressure drops and that is typically only when the oil has moved away from the the pickup. As soon as the pump gets oil again and pressure builds the oil returns to the AccuSump, leaving the wet sump at the same level. Dana

Kyle;
If you follow our procedure the wet sump is not over full, the fluid only moves from the AccuSump when the engine pressure drops and that is typically only when the oil has moved away from the the pickup. As soon as the pump gets oil again and pressure builds the oil returns to the AccuSump, leaving the wet sump at the same level. Dana
I was thinking the 0.5L of overfilling was going to be an issue, but now that I think about it more, we may have run that successfully in the past. When shutting the engine off we can't check the current oil level unless the valve is shut back off at high rpm. Either way, we haven't been consuming more than 0.5-0.75L over 6-8hrs of racing in the past, so it should be fine as long as that remains the case. We'll give it a whirl and compare it to what we experienced last time at PIR, when we were not bothering with the accusump because the oil pressure was usually fine. After the race is when I found out that Marc had been seeing the oil pressure light more frequently than I... Oops!

Attachments

• AD4BDD2D-F774-4E73-B6A1-902B516492FC.jpeg
    AD4BDD2D-F774-4E73-B6A1-902B516492FC.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 94EDD6B7-17A3-402A-BC89-25A3F7A995D0.jpeg
    94EDD6B7-17A3-402A-BC89-25A3F7A995D0.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 191
  • B322B86A-3AB6-4632-9F15-F4CF90BDB690.jpg
    B322B86A-3AB6-4632-9F15-F4CF90BDB690.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Back