• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cable Speedo Drive - Digital converter

I see the difference in situation, just wanted to suggest it.

Seems 1999+t5 transmissions don't have the spedo drive gear for a cable and that he's got one

I have an R Sport cluster. My choices are a converter drive, put some gauges and warning lights with a custom panel, or swap to an 81+ dash with an electric speedo.

While the Speedhut box isn't cheap, it's still less expensive than fancy gauges, and a whole boatload less work than a dash retrofit.

Rsport cluster is better then "fancy" gauges.
Seems that you can convert the transmission to mechanical output by adding the drive gear, some cutting required, may also need to swap to an earlier tail shaft housing according to mustang forums

https://youtu.be/86QTqY066Ig

I have a vested interest, my 99+ t5 trans sits in a car ide eventually like to put my report cluster in, but **** a $300 adapter box

The trans currently in the car has the cable speedo drive. Main problem here is that the output shaft is not drilled for the clip that drives the speedo worm gear. I don't have the time to swap that **** around or the tools to precisely drill a hole on a bearing surface. $300 still makes sense to me.

Oh yeah, and if I want a stronger trans later, that won't have a cable speedo output either :ninja:

As for the R sport cluster, none of the gauges are remotely close to accurate, the speedo needle wobbles, and the tach is so old timey it bounces around with large signal changes. They are cool, but old technology, and worn out.

Precisely drill a hole? Idk the guy in the video had a fun time with a cutoff wheel and seems happy with it

Huh, the T5 I just had apart on the bench, and the one in the car, neither are drilled on the output shaft, both are 95's, but they still run the speedo cable/speed sensor. There's a metal clip that goes under the gear, to give it some friction on the tailshaft but that's it. Swapping out the tailshaft housing is what, 30 minutes maybe? You can also get the speedo gearing pretty darn close. Swap to the 7t drive gear, makes the driven gear options a lot closer to what works in our cars. Mine, 4.10 diff, 215/45's, is within about 2-3mph at 70, with the R-Sport cluster.

Huh, the T5 I just had apart on the bench, and the one in the car, neither are drilled on the output shaft, both are 95's, but they still run the speedo cable/speed sensor. There's a metal clip that goes under the gear, to give it some friction on the tailshaft but that's it. Swapping out the tailshaft housing is what, 30 minutes maybe? You can also get the speedo gearing pretty darn close. Swap to the 7t drive gear, makes the driven gear options a lot closer to what works in our cars. Mine, 4.10 diff, 215/45's, is within about 2-3mph at 70, with the R-Sport cluster.

But he might get a stronger trans in the future

Are there adapters available to get either cable to work with a VDO speedo?

For connecting the new speedometer cable to your VDO speedometer, you can splice the speedo end of your existing speedo cable sleeve onto the new cable. This is what I did to make my speedo work with a Mustang speedo cable. A piece of 1/4" (i think) hose worked well to hold the two cable sleeves together.
aeOT1pSl.jpg

But he might get a stronger trans in the future

Yeah, but it's Harlard....

I'm glad we have Commercial Speedo in town, sure makes the custom stuff easy. I hit them up for the cable for mine as well. Found a NOS GEMO cable at my local indie that had been on the shelf for YEARS, took it to CS and $15 later it was cut to length and had the T5 end on it.

For connecting the new speedometer cable to your VDO speedometer, you can splice the speedo end of your existing speedo cable sleeve onto the new cable. This is what I did to make my speedo work with a Mustang speedo cable. A piece of 1/4" (i think) hose worked well to hold the two cable sleeves together.
aeOT1pSl.jpg

How long did that last ?

Yeah, but it's Harlard....

I'm glad we have Commercial Speedo in town, sure makes the custom stuff easy. I hit them up for the cable for mine as well. Found a NOS GEMO cable at my local indie that had been on the shelf for YEARS, took it to CS and $15 later it was cut to length and had the T5 end on it.

Hey now. Also, where's my 300 badge??

I have no access to that stuff. You need to pm Dana or Mike...that's an admin level change.

Those two are AWOL.

Anyway. Follow-up question: do you guys know the revs/mile of the R-Sport speedo? I worked out that it should be 960/mi, but the needle is 5 mph slow at 70. Odometer seems accurate enough all the same. Perhaps the mechanism needs calibration?

Back