• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

WTF turbo did I pull and is it good (enough)?

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
Went to the junkyard today to pull an intermediate shaft and distributor for a block mount distributor conversion and the car had already been crushed :roll:

I decided to see what kind of turbo I could find and stumbled into a 1998 s70 with the engine already dropped to the ground. After a little bit of a struggle, I pulled the turbo and 4 red body fuel injectors. From what I can gather, red bodies came on light pressure cars, meaning this car was a GLT.

What turbo was stock on a 1998 s70 GLT? The tag on the one I pulled is worn away and just says "Volvo", the serial number, and "made in Japan". It's definitely a Mitsubishi turbo.

Is it a 13T?
How does said turbo compare to a 15g? From what I gather, the 13t has a bigger hot side than the 15g and will produce more power overall. True or false?

13T is fine, its a lot better than a 13c. hot side is bigger and the housing is better.

Really depends what you are looking for if it will be good or not.

If you dont want to run a ton of boost and have something thats responsive... it should be great.

13T is fine, its a lot better than a 13c. hot side is bigger and the housing is better.

If you dont want to run a ton of boost and have something thats responsive... it should be great.

but 90% sure there was a 15G in the 850 next to it

I'm shooting for 15psi when all is said and done.

Can I throw a 19t cold side on it for higher CFM?

lol thats why only 90% but 98 70 is basically the same thing

look for a 16t or 15g

I check pretty much every day for new Volvos (anything that comes into any yard within 50 miles of me).
For now, I'll use the 13t, run out of enjoyment, find a 15g/16t and sell the 13t for a profit.

How hard is it to get a Saab turbo to work? They are at the junkyards a lot and I think the majority of them are 14t and 15t turbos.

I don't know the specifics, but they will likely bolt to the manifold since they are Mitsubishi TD04xx turbos.

You'll have to sort out the reclocking and oil/water lines, but that isn't a show-stopper.

FYI from a brief Google..the 14T turbos are from the TD04L family and the 15T turbos are from the TD04HL family (HL > L). So the 15T center cartridges, etc are interchangeable with the familiar 15G, 16T, 18T, etc turbos.
https://turbocentras.com/turbo-maker/Mitsubishi

I've got a 15g if you want bigger, but you'll need to find a HL hot side, or mill your manifold flat. HL frame cartridges let you run the less restrictive flat or angled flange hot side, so punches everything up a notch, even at 10 psi.

Back