• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Spare Tire Mounting Solution

ams

Howdy everyone!

I have often thought the strap for holding the spare tire is cute, and kinda useless.

If modern cars have one thing over our bricks is that they have superior spare tire and tool storage.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? (yes, I tried searching but that means nothing!)
Thanks!

Andrew

Howdy everyone!

I have often thought the strap for holding the spare tire is cute, and kinda useless.

If modern cars have one thing over our bricks is that they have superior spare tire and tool storage.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? (yes, I tried searching but that means nothing!)
Thanks!

Andrew

Are you saying your tire strap on your car is old and the rubber is dried out and/or fatigued ?
I've never had an issue personally, unless the strap in question was old..maybe you need a new strap ?

For the jack/tire wrench you might need to put some foam in opening or wrap in something to prevent clunking, was that your point ?

Also, can you be more specific about your interpretation of 'modern cars', as even some 'old BMW's' had a 'superior' location/designated shell created for the spare, along with a very 'superior'(and more inclusive) tool storage system.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/64955/Spare-Wheel-Retaining-Strap-679199/

:-P

Last edited:
Yeah I have zero issues with the strap on my sedan as well as my wife's wagon. What's useless about yours?

I'm guessing if you slide the car hard enough to lift the spare tire out of its spot you probably have to replace all 4 wheels, most of the suspension and the roof as you likely rolled it.

You can buy a roof rack and strap it down with a chain

I have seen cars rear ended, flipped, etc with the spare tire wedged in there good

This is an issue you’re making up

I use the jack with a few turns out to wedge the tire and jack to the sheet metal.
That would appear to be the correct method, based on the picture from the 1989 240 owner's manual, page 83, wagon spare.

Jack in the middle to hold the wheel tight, pull-to-tighten strap across the top to keep it from shifting around.

240spare.jpg

Last edited:
My tire cover has a slit in it the same size as the strap, the strap seems to want to wrap around the top of the tire and cover. I couldn't find a good strap so I used a military surplus universal type strap instead. Maybe it was different in 79.

Crappy pic but you can see what I mean. The tire looks big because it is, it's an R spare tire.

FdnRcLhl.jpg

Most modern cars don't even come with a spare tire and jack anymore.

I had to add one to my 2019 Golf R as it came with a bottle of fix a flat and a small compressor. Fortunately the cars sold in Europe come with one so I was able to get a factory installation (at a cost of $350). Seems if customers in NA elect for a spare tire we have to pay extra for it. I feel it is was worth it as I don't know how fix a flat and a pump can help me if I tear a sidewall.

I agree with 2turbotoys, most people would have no idea what to do. My wife tells me it was part of her driver training but then again she learned to drive in Europe.

50774261683_b30df99111.jpg

Last edited:
Many new cars do not come with a spare tire and people are surprised to find this out when a tow truck arrives. Not sure when the switch happened but it should be illegal. Also car sellers should advise the customer that the car doesn't come with a spare so that you can chose to buy one or haggle for one with the cost of the car.

They just use run-flat tires instead. Many drivers (and especially the ones that tend to drive newer cars) don't want to be changing a tire anyhow. They just have a tire pressure warning on the dash, and then they drive it to a tire store.

The manufacturer gets to shed a little bit of weight and cost. And the car gets some tiny bit better MPG from the reduced weight.

Howdy all! Thanks for the replies. I posted this then a few hours later we took off for Big Bend. First owner did use the jack to push everything tight and ended up bending the sheet metal quite a bit.

Sounds like the first step is perhaps a new strap then I will try the approved method, on PG 83, that I completely missed and see if that doesn't quite it up for me.

Big Bend was great except we lost a hub cap, headlamp cover and a rear shock failed, all on the first day. Other than those pieces it was an amazing Christmas an adventure!

Howdy all! Thanks for the replies. I posted this then a few hours later we took off for Big Bend. First owner did use the jack to push everything tight and ended up bending the sheet metal quite a bit.

Sounds like the first step is perhaps a new strap then I will try the approved method, on PG 83, that I completely missed and see if that doesn't quite it up for me.

Big Bend was great except we lost a hub cap, headlamp cover and a rear shock failed, all on the first day. Other than those pieces it was an amazing Christmas an adventure!

Unfortunate the previous owner over tightened the jack, which defeats the purpose. I use a thin black rubber type foam where the jack and body come in contact with each other.

;-)

Primitive Days ---------------------------------------------> Modern iPhone Lathe hip days
Full Size Spare ---> Donut Spare --> Fix-a-flat --> Runflat tires --> runflat with pressure sensors which call AAA

Back