• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Urgent! Ok to mix different wheel bearing grease?

GratefulNed

Hey y?’all, I?’m doing axle shaft bearings in the 240. The new SKF bearings are prepacked with a clear/amberish grease, and I bought the red wheel bearing grease from oriellys.
Bently manual calls for packing the outer seal with grease too, and I just wanted to make sure it?’s ok to ?‘mix?‘ them.

Thanks guys, sorry I have to finish this tonight OR IM GONNA LOSE THE SHOP!!

Yes that opaque chicken fat stuff they come with isn't much good for anything but keeping the parts from rusting until the package is opened.

If they're open on one side you should probably clean them in kerosene blow dry them and repack with a quality grease of your choice, like that nasty black axle grease in this case or some hi-temp moly grease.

I agree.
All the greases should be petroleum or synthetic. The base oils will be compatible, but opaque greases might use incompatible thickeners. I really don?t know.
I have mixed red, blue, amber, but i avoid lithium, urea, etc. I wash that out and start over.

Back