• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speed Bleeders for various Vintage Volvos?

oemoilleaks

I've finally had enough of the stripped brake bleed nipples I have on my 142s. I was looking at getting some speed bleeders but I'm not sure the size and thread pitch I'd need.

I have the Ate calpers from a '71 164 in the front, and Girling calipers from a 140 in the rear. (the car is a '68 but I'm not positive the rear calipers are the same year)

Does anyone know the size and thread pitch for those two calipers?

The speed bleeders have a little valve in them that will open when the bleeder is loosened and the brake system makes pressure. It is like a small check valve that won't let the bleeder pull air in after you let up the pressure in the system. They didn't work well for me because many times when you loosen bleeder screws brake fluid can leak past the threads and it can suck air back in right there. So I gave up on the ones I tried. I know I keep harping about it. But going the pressure bleeder route is the way to go with these brake systems.

They didn't work well for me because many times when you loosen bleeder screws brake fluid can leak past the threads and it can suck air back in right there.

This is really frustrating to deal with. I found that if you put heavy grease or some teflon paste on the threads, it seals up the threads and air doesn't get sucked past the threads.

Speed bleeders have sealer on the threads.

SpeedBleed%20639600.gif

Thank you. That's a great suggestion. A few month ago I bled the brakes on my friends 06 R and it had that issue going on with every bleeder screw. But the pressure bleeder doesn't care and the bleeding went well. Still, it made a mess dripping down off the calipers.

Back