• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuse #1 keeps blowing - 92 240 wagon

turmoil

I had an issue with my rear wiper blowing fuse #1 any time I would activate it on the stalk. My work around was to simply not use the stalk so I?d at least have a functioning radio and cigarette outlet.
Note: this happened after I replaced the tailgate hinges when they broke. The rear wiper was functioning before the broken hinge.

I was repairing some rust on the driver side floor panel recently and after putting the car back together fuse #1 will now blow regardless of if the stalk is activating the rear wiper.

I attempted to narrow this down by pulling out the relay for the rear wiper. When doing so the fuse will not blow but washer fluid will start pumping toward the rear wiper.

So I think the issue is with the rear wiring...somewhere. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I should try and look for? A wire seems like it?s shorting out somewhere after the relay for the rear wiper just not sure what to check next.

It is probably a rotten tailgate wiring harness. Inspect and report back!

Is that harness primarily located somewhere? I looked at some of the wiring in the ceiling under the passenger side tailgate hinge and that looked okay.

Also, would a lack of ground wire in one or both of the tailgate hinges cause it to short?

The wiring in the tailgate area looks like someone before me replaced it, guessing it just wasn?t done well enough.

The aftermarket harnesses are known junk. It sounds like wires shorting to each other (odd behavior) and to ground (blown fuse).

Look at the HINGE WIRING.

Yup, look specifically at the drivers side tailgate hinge. You'll end up pulling the tailgate interior panel, the d-pillar panel and might need a helper to hold the tailgate and position it while you unbolt the hinge. Then fix the broken/exposed wires inside. I ran a jew ground cable through mine.

Yup, look specifically at the drivers side tailgate hinge. You'll end up pulling the tailgate interior panel, the d-pillar panel and might need a helper to hold the tailgate and position it while you unbolt the hinge. Then fix the broken/exposed wires inside. I ran a jew ground cable through mine.

What do the Jews know about ground cables that I don't?

Open your tailgate. Then look at the area where the hinge pivots. You will see the remains of what is left of the wiring harness. Look at each hinge.

The other thing that happens is the ground wires inside the hing break. You cannot see them. I usually make up my own replacements because the original setup is pressure riveted to the inside of the hinge.

When the circuits in the back short it not only will blow fuses but it can also turn on stuff that isn't supposed to be on. Like turning on the rear window defogger when you turn on the tailights.

Unless they started making them again. New hinges are no longer available.

Thanks for all the great input!

I finally had some time this morning to take a look. I could see with the tailgate open that one of the wires in the passenger side hinge was frayed. I pulled the hinge and got the wire fixed up. I reconnected everything and here’s my new issue.

Fuse 1 is no longer blowing — the short is fixed.
When I turn the ignition on the rear wiper will continuously wipe and the rear sprayer will spray washer fluid. This happens regardless of how the buttons on the stalk are set.

I did notice there is no ground wire run on the inside of the passenger side hinge. Would this cause the wiper to run and pump to spray endlessly?

the rear sprayer will spray washer fluid

FYI the pump for that is at the complete other end of the car. So something is shorting 12V to that entire circuit.

Here's the diagram (pg.2 and 3, ctrl-f "washer") https://web.archive.org/web/2018041.../volvo/240 Wiring Diagrams/Volvo 240 1992.pdf

Does the washer pump stop if you pull the wiper relay? I don't see any way to backfeed the pump through the tailgate wiring from that diagram, but either the relay or the wiper button could do it with a silly enough failure and pulling the relay should determine which is which.

My money is on the wiper switch personally.

FYI the pump for that is at the complete other end of the car. So something is shorting 12V to that entire circuit.

Here's the diagram (pg.2 and 3, ctrl-f "washer") https://web.archive.org/web/2018041.../volvo/240 Wiring Diagrams/Volvo 240 1992.pdf

Does the washer pump stop if you pull the wiper relay? I don't see any way to backfeed the pump through the tailgate wiring from that diagram, but either the relay or the wiper button could do it with a silly enough failure and pulling the relay should determine which is which.

My money is on the wiper switch personally.

Thanks for the diagrams!

I have a feeling something could be going on with the stalk. I had the rear wiper switch taped in the center position, so when someone else was driving it they wouldn't bump it and blow fuse #1.

I'm going to try and have a look at it this weekend.

Back