• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

This car is getting a lot of attention outside the Volvo community. Definitely exciting.

Happy for you, and stoked to watch you continue to improve!

I'm glad this car is getting the recognition it deserves.

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Congrats Sean, having a car in SS is goals af, I'm happy it's such a clean and well sorted example to show what these cars can be. Great work.

Appreciate the kind words. Its pretty cool to have a car in a big print magazine and they have a huge online following.

This car is getting a lot of attention outside the Volvo community. Definitely exciting.

Happy for you, and stoked to watch you continue to improve!

Thank you. It has definitely gotten a lot of exposure outside of the Volvo community and I think that is a good thing for these old cars.

I am excited to get the next round done and be ready to go for 2020 season early so it has the bugs all worked out.

Thanks for the kind words all!!

Sean

Got the other valve springs, seats, seals and retainers all installed last week.

Just been tinkering with it the last few days since I have been battling a cold, its getting worse.

Here are some pics of why I decided to do the trunion upgrade and some of how.

You can see that the stock trunion only has about 40% of an actual shaft so the bearing puts a lot of pressure on that one spot...not that this is bad wear for 200k plus miles. But when you put in heavier valve springs it really puts pressure on those bearings and shaft.

zqIWXZJh.jpg

0IynYdbh.jpg

and here is the other major problem. The factory bearings are just pressed into the rocker arm itself, there is no keeper in there and the bearing is a roller bearing with no keeper on the inside so if things come apart, these end up everywhere.

I chose to do the BTR TRK002 upgrade after a lot of reading up on what works.

You can see how huge of an upgrade this is.

Fully captured USA made Roller bearings

ZcDMz58h.jpg

A full round shaft for bearings to ride on and fully captured with washers and clips.

uf6ZxKHh.jpg

YrC5F0Uh.jpg

The process was really straight forward with the right tools.

ngxvzeGh.jpg

Totally worth the $39.00 in my opinion.

Tore down the front of the engine and built some tools.

A sharp eye will note the stock VVT 1 bolt camshaft still in place. I did elect to build some 5/16" dowels to keep the lifters up in their tray while Asher and I hot swapped the cam.

qpv1mxHh.jpg

New power maker installed. Its a BTR Stage 2 blower cam I can post up the specs if people are curious. Specifically built for the LSA setup.

Rk5mXSEh.jpg

New 3 bolt gear and new timing cover installed and torqued. Crank pulley pinned again and back on.

Onto the next phase. Pulled off the blower snout and got to cleaning.

bayaHnlh.jpg

m35O1wIh.jpg

Stocker

uLSfzzSh.jpg

Not Stocker

CNC ported Blower snout

IoFWFpAh.jpg

BHIBhC5h.jpg

All reinstalled with a griptech 2.45" pullley for a lot more air this go around.

BqlWwnyh.jpg

Going to do the Mark Williams boosted 102mm throttle body to go with the snout just need it to show up.

Finally got around to installing this bad ass Turn One Power steering pump and billet pulley.

ovA4KAsh.jpg

pO0FwyNh.jpg

The only snafu so far is the BTR kit shorted me snap rings for the trunions. They sent them out overnight to me but when they showed up they were the wrong ones so waiting on those still.

I did measure for pushrods and they were correct at 7.400 so got those and 15 of 16 rocker arms installed.

I had a hand this weekend from my nephew and Asher, always nice to have a hand. Thanks dudes.

Looking forward to getting this thing back together, should be pretty potent.

Sean

Got the other valve springs, seats, seals and retainers all installed last week.

Just been tinkering with it the last few days since I have been battling a cold, its getting worse.

Here are some pics of why I decided to do the trunion upgrade and some of how.

SNIP

Looking forward to getting this thing back together, should be pretty potent.

Sean

Wow! Thanks for the pics and the detailed descriptions! That is money :cool: I'll need all the help I can get when I go LSA on mine! Hehehe actually first off I'm trying to go turbo, but maybe later :oogle:

Do you know which edition of SuperStreet your 242 will show up in? Apparently you can back-order https://www.circsource.com/store/storeBackIssMagazines.html?magazineId=146 I was thinking December? Or January 2020?

Keep at it! :cool:

Your 242 is making its way around the interwebs. My buddy Bill, not a Volvo guy but has many V8 classics and is currently building a V12 BMW motor for a ‘68 Lincoln 2 door coupe sent me this text earlier. Ha ha!

C042-EEAE-3-B01-4-A77-AC8-C-2-F73-F022-BAEA.jpg

A bunch of people have now showed me pics of your car, I think you may have surpassed the "have you seen that Volvo with the twin turbo V8" (Volvette) among my non Volvo car friends haha.

Sweet car! Congrats on getting recognition for all the hard work!

A bunch of people have now showed me pics of your car, I think you may have surpassed the "have you seen that Volvo with the twin turbo V8" (Volvette) among my non Volvo car friends haha.

same with my friends they posted this in our automotive group chat, and then I found this thread and woowww!!!

Also got my 77 in the garage and put in a few hours last night after work in the sake of Hacksters pro quality build !

Thanks so much for putting us volvo folks in a good spot light !

YOU THE JAM !

*what's the difference between jelly and Jam ??

Hehehe

Wow! Thanks for the pics and the detailed descriptions! That is money :cool: I'll need all the help I can get when I go LSA on mine! Hehehe actually first off I'm trying to go turbo, but maybe later :oogle:

Do you know which edition of SuperStreet your 242 will show up in? Apparently you can back-order https://www.circsource.com/store/storeBackIssMagazines.html?magazineId=146 I was thinking December? Or January 2020?

Keep at it! :cool:

Thanks for the props man. Turbo is a bunch more work than the LSA but can be done cheap on a budget.

Car is in January 2020 Super Street on shelves now....even though I dont have an actual copy in hand =)

Your 242 is making its way around the interwebs. My buddy Bill, not a Volvo guy but has many V8 classics and is currently building a V12 BMW motor for a ?68 Lincoln 2 door coupe sent me this text earlier. Ha ha!

C042-EEAE-3-B01-4-A77-AC8-C-2-F73-F022-BAEA.jpg

Thats awesome I think. I have ran across it in pics or posts on IG and Facebook that I had no idea even existed.

I love that the people outside the Volvo world dig it for the most part.

Thats big right there!!! Everyone knows the Volvette. Appreciate the props as well man, its been a fun couple of years with the car thats for sure.

same with my friends they posted this in our automotive group chat, and then I found this thread and woowww!!!

Also got my 77 in the garage and put in a few hours last night after work in the sake of Hacksters pro quality build !

Thanks so much for putting us volvo folks in a good spot light !

YOU THE JAM !

*what's the difference between jelly and Jam ??

Hehehe

Thank you for the props, and its exactly these types of posts that keep me updating it as I go along. You never know what is going to be helpful to someone down the road.

Sean

Well, not too much exciting going on with the car.

I did get the Williams 102mm boosted throttle body and got it installed. What a piece of artwork.

C1XRKSGh.jpg

eAOcO6ph.jpg

Also spent some time getting the tensioner reset closer to the engine and measured and picked up a new Gates HD belt to run this setup. Still just a 6 rib. Ill be curious if I need to upgrade to an 8 rib setup.

6MBwS06h.jpg

Spent a little time getting the valve covers all cleaned up, replaced some seals on the cover bolts and got them on.

rxW3RhAh.jpg

Also took some time this weekend and installed new NGK BR7EF plugs gapped to .022

Installed the 1000 cc resized LSA injectors. I also found the reason for the leak at the fuel rail connection. Not sure exactly how this happened but I have ordered a new fitting.

WHDSrPRh.jpg

Also re routed one of the crankcase ventillation lines as it was hitting the power steering pulley the way I had it routed before.

Should be a non issue now. It goes back and around the power steering reservoir instead of in front of it.

PgHXRcfh.jpg

xnk89NAh.jpg

Have a few parts on order to clean up some more plumbing. AN steam port kit to get rid of more hose clamps for serviceability. Also have a raw radiator on its way, this time a 3 core with no fittings on it so Ill be taking a shot at building and welding up a new radiator.....probably tack it up myself and have someone else do the final welding on it since I am still pretty new to aluminum stuff and really don't want to screw it up.

Cheers!!

Well the new Radiator showed up and even though its supposed to be the same size just a 3 core and an inch thicker, that proved to be not the case. So here we go.

VZX5ITEh.jpg

This sucked working in the painted engine bay I did everything I could to try and protect the finished paint as good as possible with weld paper and lots of towels and tape.

xNJWbSUh.jpg

UPqH84kh.jpg

jfySxs6h.jpg

Capped the ends and built a tube tie the two front frame rails together.

KpKWLUeh.jpg

Pads that fit up into the channel of the radiator bottom will get rubber pads on top.

I got tabs in place for the lower intercooler mounting bracket as along with the tabs to hold the front of the IPD Aluminum skid plate.

Did a little clean up and taping and shot some paint on it.

c82kd4Kh.jpg

DqyRxu3h.jpg

I have the upper radiator mounting bracket all done and it all fits under the existing header panel so win win.

Moving onto the fitting up the Inlets and Outlets as well as the filler.

Hope to have it back in one piece in the next week and then onto fitting up a tray to direct the air from the airdam to the Radiator to get some additional airflow up to the radiator at speed.

Going to move on to the splined front sway bar after that.

Anyone on here done one before on a 240?

Sean

Been out in the garage after work with my head down running beads on aluminum for a few nights. Talked with Nathan a bit and got some pointers, watched a couple of you tube videos and decided that I was going to tackle this radiator build on my own.

I have learned a bunch of stuff through this process and is why I like building **** on my own rather than farming it out to others.

Clean clean clean. This stuff likes to be clean. My process was acetone wipe down, then scrub really well with a stainless wire brush, when I thought it was clean enough scrub again.

Not being an aluminum welder I was not used to this much cleaning and found that the cleaner the surface was with the best fitup possible netted the best welds.

So I started to mock up the radiator, I first built the upper mount that nests in the top of the radiator since it didnt need to hold water or be perfect since you wont see much of it and it had pretty descent results.

So on we go. The plan was to be able to keep the existing upper radiator panel since I have a lot of work into it and like the way it turned out. You can see though not mch wiggle room in placement of the filler. I had to make a small spacer to get the filler up about 1/2" to clear the panel.

FO1E3xEh.jpg

All in place and fitment should work great. Probably need to redo the lower radiator hose but upper should go right back on.

NUSBte7h.jpg

Not being very familiar with aluminum and welding some thin stuff here to mismatched thicknesses was a little nerve racking but all in all I am pretty happy with the results. The radiator had just the core and end tanks on, all of the fittings and filler were done by me.

ep7er6uh.jpg

oz4vCulh.jpg

rm5vwmnh.jpg

I have been sweating this for weeks. Now that its done I can move on. Get the fans mounted up, button up all of the plumbing and reinstall all removed components, fill with fluids and get ready to start the tune process again.

Cheers!!!

Sean

First class. My understanding is that welding aluminum takes a big hit of heat initially, then one must back off?

Yep, its totally different process than anything else. Big hit to burn off the oxides, then back it down. Take a lot of practice and I am a total rookie to it.

Nicely done! Way to tackle it.

Thanks man!!

Much appreciated.

Sean

Havent touched the car, only thing left is to get the wiring buttoned up, get a mount for the power steering cooler and get the frontend installed.

Still waiting on parts for the oil cooler install.

Then I can start on the tuning and hope that the dry weather holds out for that.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all my fellow Volvo peeps!!

Sean

Back